Best Next Gen Gaming System?

Guest Myke

I would make a poll.... but for some reason I cant in this forum :) What next gen system do you think is the best?

I own a gamecube, I love it. Metroid prime is absolutly incredible.

Guest Paul [MVP]

I have an XBox, it's awesome.

It's got amazing games (I love driving games), and it doubles up as my home media centre (MP3s, DivX etc.) and even my test environment for the forum (Debian Linux, Apache, PHP and MySQL!)

P

Guest fraser

Ah, forgot about that! I've been meaning to get an XBox for the DivX and maybe mp3 (I've got a PC doing that just now).

Paul, what's the performance like of DivX playback? Do you find it juddering or dropping frames now and again? I'd love to get one for the DivX capabilities, but I have no need for another console and it would be a waste of money if DivX wasn't perfect.

What about XVid? :)

Guest Paul [MVP]

DivX playback is awesome. Now dropping frames or juderring at all using XBMP 2.3.

It has XVID support (what is that?) Not tried it...

P

PS Polls now available in this forum

Guest fraser

Xvid is a branch off the DivX mainline, but it's identified as a separate codec, the name is DivX backwards. I think it's a bit better to be honest, the two-disk versions of movies are flawless, as good as the source material. Seems to be less blockyness (real word?) as well, especially in the dark regions.

Do you know any sources of mod chips in the UK? They are public enemy number one under the DMCA in the USA, so they are getting hard to get over there.

(Yet another de-certification thread starts... :) )

Guest youngerpants

XVID is the format for VCD's (correct me if I'm wrong) which my PS2 doesnt support :D

However, as I have PS2 Linux kit, it will support when booted inot Linux :)

however as the PS2 only has 32Mb RAM, its useless for any media playback while booted into Linux (lots of dropped frames), apart from MP3

GTA3 & SSX tricky were my only motivations for buying in the first place... then they bought out Tony Hawk 4... awsome!

I would say that the XBox is a far superior gaming console let down by the relitivly few games that are any good released for it, whereas the PS2 has all the playability you could ask for, (considering I am currently playing SMB3 on my phone) and likewise will also double as a web server

Roll on the PS3... mmmmmm grid computing ;)

Guest fraser
XVID is the format for VCD's (correct me if I'm wrong)

Correction follows: :)

The format for VCDs is good ol' mpeg-1, which mp3 audio is a subset of. It's not all that great, very old technology.

SVCDs use mpeg-2, which is the same as DVD, but obviously much less capacity. Pretty rare everywhere except Asia, where VCD is also massive.

See my previous post for the DivX/Xvid relationship...

Guest Paul [MVP]

XBOX has 64MB RAM, so is fine.

I bought my mod chip from easybuy2000.com.

GTA3 & SSX tricky were my only motivations for buying in the first place... then they bought out Tony Hawk 4... awsome!

Shame GTA3 isn't out on the 'box, SSX Tricky and TH4 are tho.

My fave game is still Project Gotham Racing :)

P

I have the PS2Reality movie player for my PS2 and it plays XVid and DivX great - you just need to make a lil correction to the files for XVid..

I bought the PS2 for the RPGs - currently playing through Kingdom Hearts and Xenogears (PS1) and enjoying both immensely. Also like the controller - XBox's one gives me cramp..

Having said all that, I really, REALLY want a Gamecube with the new Zelda and Metroid Prime - its only like £100 these days, so am v tempted..

Guest Anonymous

I think the Xbox rules. The quality is far superior to the PS2 and Gamecube. I'm just trying to decide which chip to go for. Martix or Executor. Couple of the lads at work are doing them, and they've even put switches on the case so they can be turned off and on so they can go live without good old Microsoft knowing there chipped boxes!

Guest fraser

What's the difference in the chips? Is one no-solder, the other solder? If so, I'd recommend the no-solder one, especially if it's under waranty. I've chipped enough PS1's already, not much fun and pretty dangerous!

Guest Anonymous

Yeah... the Matrix uses pogo pins which is a bit of a pain, but as you said better if you want to hold on to that warranty, however, if you want to go Live your better off soldering the Executer on and putting a switch so you can turn it off! I'm not 100% sure of the inns and outs of whats involved. Will be soon though. Gonna be attempting it the next few weeks. Luckily, I've got some guru's here that can help who have already gone through it with both chips!

Guest fraser

You can put a switch on the Matrix one as well, but it might be more complicated. Looking at the picture, you could just set the dip switches to the off position and extend wiring out the back to add an external switch.

Bit harder, requires soldering to the Matrix chip itself, but leaves that vital waranty intact. Provided they don't look at your hard-drive and figure out that you must have opened it up!

Guest Vector

I have both Xbox and PS2 and out of the 2 i'd say that the xbox is better. The PS2 Has got the best game GTA vice city ,but Splinter cell on the Xbox is nearly just as good.

Xbox is the best :!: :!: :)

Guest Richie M

X-Box Rocks, mine aint chipped cos i use "Live" (thats via BROADBAND for all you 56k PS2's & 'Cubes :twisted: ) and if you conect with a Chip you get Blacklisted.

Guest Richie M
"]I'm ordering Satellite Broadband at the end of the month (annual bonus time) ;)

P

Don't do it man, too expensive (could spend ya bonus on lots more exciting things) and i've heard nothing but bad things about it.

Can't beat my NTL 1Mb connection :) (just rubbing it in)

Ok, now im confused. XBox and PS2 can play divx??? :ast i checked the ps2 had only just had capability of vcd and that was limited in length!!! How do you make these consoles play divx? I was just about to order a £300 dvd player that plays divx but this could save me lots of money!

Guest fraser
XBox and PS2 can play divx???

You have to bypass the boot code via a modchip and get it to boot a custom build of Linux. I'm not familar with the PS2 hacking, but the XBox is essentially a PC and runs Linux well. People have created all sorts of apps for this, such as the DivX player. Paul [MVP] mentioned that he uses it as a web server.

It was created by the Linux community to stick the fingers up at their hated enemy, Microsoft. Apparently MS lose money per sale of the XBox (profit comes from game sales), so the zealots thought it'd be funny to to have a non-gaming use.

I'm sure there was a lot of "because it's there" in the quest to get this running (reason once quoted for climbing Everest), but the die-hard Linux crowd are a strange bunch...

The PS2 one just requires a chip or you having an action replay cd, thats all. You just put the player cd in, then take it out, pop in the divx cd and select the file you want to play (also does music). Thats all there is to it..