PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,368 posts
  • Devices:All the Nexus!
  • Twitter:@paulobrien
Silvermead Satellite is apparently pretty good for the bargain basement price. Upstream will still be ISDN tho... :)

P

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Want to donate? MoDaCo is raising money for the Multiple Sclerosis society.

Posted Image

amo

amo

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts
  • Devices:MDA Vario 3
Ok, now im confused. XBox and PS2 can play divx??? :ast i checked the ps2 had only just had capability of vcd and that was limited in length!!! How do you make these consoles play divx? I was just about to order a £300 dvd player that plays divx but this could save me lots of money!

"I'm sorry you'll have to speak up - i'm wearing a towel"

• Guests
[/QUOTE]X-Box Rocks, mine aint chipped cos i use "Live" (thats via BROADBAND for all you 56k PS2's & 'Cubes ) and if you conect with a Chip you get Blacklisted. [QUOTE]

That just isnt the case! There are about 5 people here at work that use live who have chipped boxes. The secret is to attatch a switch to the chip to turn it off. This way Microsoft cant tell you have the chip. They've been playing Live for a good while now with a chipped box.

fraser

fraser

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts
  • Devices:HTC Hermes

XBox and PS2 can play divx???

You have to bypass the boot code via a modchip and get it to boot a custom build of Linux. I'm not familar with the PS2 hacking, but the XBox is essentially a PC and runs Linux well. People have created all sorts of apps for this, such as the DivX player. Paul [MVP] mentioned that he uses it as a web server.

It was created by the Linux community to stick the fingers up at their hated enemy, Microsoft. Apparently MS lose money per sale of the XBox (profit comes from game sales), so the zealots thought it'd be funny to to have a non-gaming use.

I'm sure there was a lot of "because it's there" in the quest to get this running (reason once quoted for climbing Everest), but the die-hard Linux crowd are a strange bunch...

Emad

Emad

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Interests:Everything. No, really.
The PS2 one just requires a chip or you having an action replay cd, thats all. You just put the player cd in, then take it out, pop in the divx cd and select the file you want to play (also does music). Thats all there is to it..

"If you can't control your peanut butter, you can't expect to control your life." - Calvin

amo

amo

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts
So i only need to buy an action replay cheat cd??? Where do i get the divx player for ps2???

Syvwlch

Syvwlch

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts
There is also a software CD for Playstation that allows it to read media from your home network, including DivX, thru the network adaptor. This is a legally sold product on the market in the US. Can't remember what it's called, tho, and last time I checked there was no European version...

Syvwlch

SPV : De-Certified, De-Simlocked, FR update, FemBot Keypad Hacked
PCs : P3 W2K + P4 XPpro SP1

Syvwlch

Syvwlch

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts
Just remembered!

It's the Qcast Tuner, from BroadQ...

It's cheap ($50), and the feature set is impressive, but I haven't had a chance to try it out, as I :

a) live on the wrong continent
:) don't own a PS2

Syvwlch

SPV : De-Certified, De-Simlocked, FR update, FemBot Keypad Hacked
PCs : P3 W2K + P4 XPpro SP1

Emad

Emad

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts
You can get ps2 divx player from here:

http://ps2dev.liveme...kb/kb.asp?T=868
http://www.ps2reality.net/

Second link is the guys who wrote it - but its in Spanish :)

"If you can't control your peanut butter, you can't expect to control your life." - Calvin

• Guests
How good is the DivX playback on the PS2? Does it manage to play even the demanding movies? My PC struggles with a few...

ssj_kakarot

ssj_kakarot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
i have an x-box and gamecube, must admit i like me gamecube better, although the x-box is a better performer, i got live to like, never ever played with the thing really part from a few outings on unreal torny, still its all ways nice to have the features even if i dont use them, i think ill be gettin a ps2 later this month, but only for final fantasy 10 (im an addict) other than that the best next gen console is by far the gameboy sp, he he ive spent n e ammounts of time on that little thing. :)

Emad

Emad

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts
Normal tvs require resolutions of 512xwhatever - manages that fine and looks as good as a good vhs. Haven't really tried more demanding ones except the odd 640x one, whcih also ran fine..

amo

amo

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts
So do i only need the action replay cd and the software, no physical mod?

Myke

Myke

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
you may have linux and divx and your DVD movies.. but do you have ZELDA? :wink:

fraser

fraser

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts
Thanks Emad (that was me as guest). I might try and get a hold of it, but I'm still undecided on whether or not to get the X-Box option. With the price of the PS2 network card, the DiVX player and the action replay CD (or mod chip), I'm not all that far off the price of an XBox. Plus, the XBox stuff is open source, and it should advance faster and have more new features added as time progresses.

Myke, I think there are emulators for the XBox coming out or already released. There's your Zelda!! :)

Emad

Emad

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts
Hehe, I play Zelda on my PS2 - Links to the Past :)

That DivX player doesn't require a network card - just a PS2 and a plugin, no-solder mod (£10-£15?). XBox is more flexible tho, but I won't have something that ugly in my sitting room :-D

fraser

fraser

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts
No network card? Mmm, tempting. I do want to have a more complete solution though...I've got a lot of media on network shares at home, I only burn to CD when I don't have enough cash to buy another hard-drive! :)

I'm loving the fact that community based products are ripping into the commercial ones. There isn't really a commercial alternative to this sort of thing, and it would have been unlikely to happen if projects like the PS2/XBox media players weren't around. ;)

Emad

Emad

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts
I planning on having my next computer upgrade being a shift from my tower case to one of those wee little spacecube cases with an nForce2/FX (depending whats out at the time) chipset and infrared peripherals. Then shall I be able to have a full entertainment system in my sitting room - especially as its water cooled and therefore nice n quiet..

amo

amo

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Hehe, I play Zelda on my PS2 - Links to the Past :)

That DivX player doesn't require a network card - just a PS2 and a plugin, no-solder mod (£10-£15?). XBox is more flexible tho, but I won't have something that ugly in my sitting room :-D

Where can i get one of these from? I dont want to mod my ps2 with solder, i just want it to be able to playback divx

• Guests
im talkin about the new zelda game comin out, not the old school ones :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users