is AIM popular in the UK??

Guest Myke

If this phone was released in the US and they still didnt have AIM on it, everyone and their mothers would be complaining. Hardly anyone uses MSN messenger here. I only use it for business. I was wondering why it doesnt seem like a big issue in the forums? Is MSN Messenger more popular in the UK?

Guest Syvwlch

Speaking for myself and my UK friends (none of which have an SPV, tho) we use Trillian or some such multi-IM client and being restricted to MSN when on the phone is no big bother. AIM is actually the one that almost never gets used, altho we all have accounts (mostly to have all the icons lit up on the client :))

Most Americans are on AOL, whereas there's more of a spread here.. I think MSN is the most widely used - looking at my contact lists its as follows:

AIM: 8

MSN: 120

YIM: 2

Bit of a trend there :)

Guest Syvwlch

My techie friends are on ICQ, my american friends are on Yahoo, and my family (who are really just getting their feet wet in Internet stuff) are all on MSN. Only that last category uses single-system client, the others use Trillian.

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

I started off with Yahoo years ago seeing as thats what all my mates used, then moved to MSN as others did as well, with a dashing of ICQ in the bsackground throughout.

Y!: 46

MSN: 50

ICQ: god knows, lost my contact list over a year ago, why oh why cant they keep it server side like everyone else :/

*shrug*. In terms of highschool teenagers MSN is by far the most popular in the UK, and AIM is practically unheard of.

Guest cyrilthefish

i used to use ICQ a lot, but stopped using it because i got a spam message every 10 minutes, even with a brand new account ;)

i use MSN only now, the best IM client i've used (trillian seemed a bit buggy)

i've suffered AOL software before and now refuse to use any bit of software written by them again!

i've lost count of how many times i've had to re-install windows because the AOL software has completely f****d it up! (my old PC and a few of my family's PC's too)

:)

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Trillian Pro is a lot better than the free version...i use it now and once its properly confiured its very usable.

And don't get me started on AOL...

Guest MISMan

I personally can not stand the pop-ups that AIM puts on your CPU, nor Yahoo's. MSN is the best IMHO, and nearly everyone I know thinks the same. Most of the "internet newbies" use AOL. As broadband continues to roll-out, AOL is losing a LOT of their customers, and the fact that they try and charge FULL PRICE over an existing broadband connection is a joke (Broadband montly PLUS AOL fee).

thats interesting. my lists are as follows:

AIM: 200 (reached the max)

MSN: 10

Yahoo: 3

and dont confuse AIM with AOL.. they are so different its incredible. (theyve got different programmers and artists).. AOL is the worst chat client imaginable.

I personally think the MSN instant message windows are too big and clunky, but i love MSNs features.

Guest Syvwlch

Yes, Trillian Pro is stable, has some usefull extra features, and works better than all the single-system clients I've seen so far. Besides, don't we ALL have contacts on several networks?

But I could have sworn tha AIM stood for AOL Instant Messenger - and has the little dude running on the taskbar?

theyre both under the AOL company, but theyve got different programmers working on each client (AOL and AIM).. AOL still doesnt even have a way to directly connect or send people files through IMs. Pathetic. The new aim on the other hand lets you connect with anyone despite firewalls, send IMs to cell phones via sms, and forward IMs to your cell phone when your away.

I love MSN's netmeeting integration. I was just curious, using the Trillian Pro, are you able to "direct connect" to people? Send them files, and all the goodies, etc..

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Yeah i think so, i've never actually checked though, might have a play later...

Moved to OT btw (forget i can sometimes believe it or not ;p)

Guest benjymous

Yeah, I've heard lots of people say it's a bit rubbish, and I'm not really willing to pay for another IM'er (I paid for the Windows version of Trillian Pro so would much rather have a version of Trill on my phone - especially if it could sync the contacts and chat logs between the two)

Oh well, we can dream, can't we?

Guest Firaas

I got rid of AIM - hardly ever used it, and only to get in touch with a couple of people in America who I convinced to move to MSN.

MSN seems a more consumer orientated service - AIM looked slightly geeky I thought.

Guest Syvwlch

You can send/receive files but not direct connect with Trillian Pro. Video only with Yahoo (Quality sucks tho). Try cerullean studios web site to see the full list, in particular with the plug-ins. Well worth the upgrade!

There IS a plug-in that allows redirection of IMs to your cell when away...

Guest Anonymous

yeah, also the fact ICQ is made in part by aol bertelsmann is it not? after aol bought the company a few years back... i use 50/50 msn and aim... but then again im still at school and most my mates dont know what a computer is, or id prefer to use ICQ for sure.