help on backup

Guest okocha10

Guest okocha10

ive just backedup all with my 128mb card,when i next turn it on(holding record button) the only option i get is 'press action key 2 download' and theres a list of ipsm etc above,is this normal??when i turn on fone normal it asks 2 format card,i just press no,if i press yes do i lose the backup?is there a definate way 2 check ur update has worked?? i have searched the site,the answers r prob there but i couldnt c them.

Guest Richie M

I take it you backedup with USBTerm; "press action key 2 download" is normal; if you press it for 1-2 seconds it'll load the backup - takes a while.

If you say Yes to format you will lose your backup.

If you go to About (in Settings) menu it will tell you your software version (1.3.5.6 is the current UK version)

Guest okocha10

im using windows ME,and wen i try 2 install the u.k update(i know i have 2 use the french 1 half way through) i get past the extracting files stage,then when i get to the update bit and press 'next' i get this error "Caupgradeut has caused an error in GDI.EXE" can any1 help?

Guest Richie M

Okocha, i believe this is an error because you are using the wrong update, Orange's original backup only worked on Win XP/2000 machines - i belive they released a new version for Win 98/ME.

Guest okocha10

i've f**ked sumfing up,now wen i turn on the fone it goes straight 2 the screen saying card found,like if u hold the record button,if my card is in it says press action button 2 download,if i wait it says the hold for 1 sec,bit,so i've done that and went 2 load all(hopefully this works) any 1 help??????????

Guest okocha10

can some1 plz,plz,plz help??????? i performed a hard reset 2 try 2 fix the problem above but it stil goes back 2 the wihte screen that says "press and hold action button 2 enter DIAG" b grateful 4 any help

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

OK. Don't worry about the french, its normal. The UK installer wasn't compatible with Win9x/ME for some reason, but the French one was. Someone repackaged the UK update into the French installer and it works fine.

It sounds like you cancelled the update half way, so your best bet is to run the update again. If you have difficulties try it on a mates PC (preferably an NT/2000/XP box) that hasn't had the updater run on it, as this can should start the updater again from scratch.

Hope this helps...

Guest okocha10

ill do that just as soon as the fone turns on,its stuck on the orange startup??? when i get the chance 2 do the update again will i have 2 delete the old files or will it write over??

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

If you can find another PC that hasn't had the update previously run on it then leave your phone in the Canary tri-colour screen (record+power on) and put it into the cradle. Then run the update and it should start again from scratch (it did for me).

Guest okocha10

i've done the update(i think) is there any way 2 check its done?i heard there should b 2 new progs(i dnt have any) also if u put key-lock on and press a key the light shouldnt go on anymore(mine does) where about in settings/about do i check 2 c the version no.?

i guess it hasnt worked

Guest Richie M

You go ProgramsSettingsAbout 2 c version

Uk is 1.3.5.6

But it doesnt sound like yours has updated if you havent got the new programs :)

Guest Richie M

No, if you are "Downloading" the whole backup again you will overwrite the update.

The only part of the back-up you should restore is ISPM, you need to do that via USBTerm not the Bootloader!

Guest okocha10

right! cheers,ill try that,does this mean i do the hold action for 2 secs bit then just go 2 load ispm?

its updated,but stil have 2 probs,everything has been restored without me restoring ispm(ringtones,backgrounds,settings,address book all there).wel i might of restored the ispm as i got into diag once but every singe option was "load ispm," and wen i clicked any of them nothing happened. when i do try 2 get into DIAG now it says 'press any key....' when i press a key a go straight 2 the canary screen????

Guest Richie M

:evil: Here goes

1) Take your phone off the Cradle

2) Open Task Manager on your PC

3) End "WCESCOMM.EXE" process

4) Take your MMC/SD Card out of the phone

5) Turn your phone off

6) Press and hold the Record & Power buttons

7) When the phone powers on DO NOT press any keys

8 ) You should now see a screen which says Canary on it (three colour screen), if not go back to step 5.

9) Put your Card back in the phone & the phone back into the Cradle, bottom left of the phone screen should change from "Serial" to "USB"

10) On your PC open a DOS command prompt

11) If need be change directory to where you saved USBTerm

12) Type "USBTerm" (without the quotes) hit Return

13) Now type "qfs ?" (without the quotes) hit Return

14) You should now get a list of qfs commands displayed, as shown on that web page

15) type "qfs 9" (without the quotes) hit Return to Restore your ISPM

16) after quite a while it will finish, close USBTerm down, take your phone off the cradle, press & hold the power button and it will reboot.

YOU ARE NOW DONE :twisted:

Phew :)

Guest okocha10

cheers,il try it wen i get 2 my pc.by the looks of ur post it looks as if every1 knows how 2 do this. just me being simple i s´pose.

Guest Richie M
Okocha, you wouldn't believe how happy we'd be to get a post from you saying your problem is solved. :)

Too right ;) I've got a headache now :D

Guest okocha10

sorry guys!!!! cant believe im still asking for help :shock: i do everything up 2 the part where i type"qfs?",when i press enter it just stays black,no list,no nothing.sorry again but can u help?