help on backup

Guest okocha10

Guest Syvwlch

it's qfs ?, with a space between the two.

Also, it will do that if the phone is not in the proper state, i.e. if it is not on the Canary three color screen (step 8 in Richie's How-To).

Can you confirm that you type that space and that you have the phone on the three color screen?

Guest okocha10

yeah typed space, on canary screen. i've put my usbterm.exe in c:windows, my dos prompt is also there,is this correct? how would usbterm b able 2 read any of my files when it has no connecting with the mmc/spv,shud there b a copy on my mmc or ipsm? maybe i have just missed sumethin easy :?: :?: :?:

@ least there 1 good thing cumin out of this, my status has changed from newbie 2 regular!

Guest Syvwlch
@ least there 1 good thing cumin out of this, my status has changed from newbie 2 regular!

Welcome to the ranks, trooper!

Now that you are a regular, you are going to make an effort to break down your posts into sentences, with capital letters at the beginning and periods at the end. If you are feeling at ease with that, you will even make paragraphs with a few well-placed applications of the "Enter" key. This will make your posts much less cute, sadly, but will make it much easier for us to help you help yourself, soldier!

:twisted:

Attention!

If you are getting no reaction out of USBterm when you type "qfs ?", then it is not communicating with the phone. Absence of the card should still allow the connection to happen, and some response from USBterm.

Let's take this sloooooowly :)

1. Why do you say that USBterm has no connection to the mmc/spv?

Is the phone not in the cradle, and the cradle not plugged into the PC on which USBterm is running?

2. There should be a copy of the back-up (IPSM or bootloader) you want to install/restore on the MMC. You need nothing specific on the SPV. You need only USBterm on the PC.

Guest okocha10

1.the phone is in the cradle,plugged into the back of my pc also plugged into a socket in my wall.Am i meant to have USBTerm.exe running at the same time as i open DOSprompt? i've tried that anyway and it didnt work! The only location i have USBTerm in is my c:windows folder along with DOSprompt.

2.i have a full backup on my MMC. The thing is, everything updated to my spv a while ago after i done the update.can it only be restored once?is that why this is not working? Its just the first time i done it, it was through DiAG, but it seemed as though nothing happened + I want 2 make sure before i delete it from my MMC,and i've been told that USBTerm is the only/best? way to do it.

Guest Syvwlch

Thank you, Corporal!

USBterm is the only way to do it if you have the new bootloader (as part of an update, most likely), but if you have the old bootloader, then it is NOT the best way. The bootloader would be.

With the phone on, from the homescreen, press the programs button (left under the screen). Then Select the Settings program. Then select About.

On that screen, there are several software version numbers (chains of numbers separated by periods or dots) could you tell us what yours is for the Operator number?

Guest okocha10

i know i cnt do this usbterm thing, but i do know where the programs button is!.i've been told the updated software number before and im sure its the same as i have.is it 1.3.5.6?

Guest Syvwlch

Ok, so you have the update installed, you want to replace the old bootloader.

The only way to do this is USBterm, to answer your question.

If "qfs ?" is not generating any response, then the phone is not communicating with the PC over the USB channel.

Is the word "serial" at the bottom of the canary screen changing to "USB" when you plug the phone back into the cradle?

Guest okocha10

yeah,its changed to USB everytime i do it .although it hasn't been updated through USBTerm,my features have always been there,do you think it is safe just to delete my backup and put my mp3s etc back on my card? apart from hard reset will i ever need to load up my setting again? if it means anything when i insert my mmc card and my phone is on, it asks me to format, i always choose no.im pretty sure this is right but i just want 2 try everything incase there is something im missing?

Guest Syvwlch

Well...

There are copies of the various configurations backed up, available on the web, now. So... unless you have some very different settings (particularly of you do not use Orange as you network), then it's probably safe to ditch your backup.

The other thing you can do, you can use another program, called Winhex, to copy the contents of your backup to your harddisk, which will free up your card for mp3s.

The point is, the day you decide to restore those settings, you'll have use USBterm, because the bootloader is gone from the updates...

Guest okocha10

cheers to any1 who tried 2 help me.il try again couple more times 2moro if not il download winhex and c wot i can do with it.im open 2 any other suggestions.cheers again

Guest Richie M

Sorry guys, only just checked in :shock:

You after my job Syvwlch? :)

Stirling job my friend ;)

Obviously i'm disapointed Okocha still hasn't done this, but i aint giving up until he does :shock:

Right where was I? oh yeah, Syv, i thought WinHex could only be used with a Card reader? :?

Okocha, the whole point of restoring the ISPM is get back all your settings on the phone, Contacts, Messages, Homes Screens & Ring Tones - if you are not bothered about them I wouldn't bother.

But, sometimes USBTerm does nothing when you type qfs ? - just close it down and try again.

Guest okocha10

sorry guys no luck! i've got all my ringtones contacts etc anyway,so unless i hard reset i think i should b safe,any warnings of any programs to use or things to do that might result in me doing a hard reset?

Guest Syvwlch
Right where was I? oh yeah, Syv, i thought WinHex could only be used with a Card reader? :?

D'oh! :oops: I'd forgotten our friend doesn't have one.

Glad to see you're back, Richie. :)

Guest Richie M
is it normal for all my contacts,sms,ringtones etc to be on my phone without doing a usbterm restore?

After an update - Yes

After De-Cert - No

Guest okocha10

just found my old mmc(32mb) is there any way 2 backup onto that?or is it usbterm again?would i even b able 2 acces the backup and copy it 2 my 32 mb card?

Guest Syvwlch

The only way to copy or move the update from card to card or card to PC is to use a card reader and WINhex... in the absence of a card reader, you will have to use USBterm to restore the bootloader, which will then allow you to back-up and restore to either card

Guest Syvwlch
See on the web site http://216.239.37.120/translate_c?hl=de&ie.../language_tools, what does no.5 mean? is it anything important?

Here is the Original French :

5 - dans les Accessoires de Windows vous lancer la commande Invite de commandes.

It means : In the Accessories (Menu) of Windows, launch the "Command Prompt" command.

To answer your question, it's important, but you're already doing it. :)