Another eBay ripoff

Guest Firaas

Guest mrjuglas

Nice one Firaas, you know it's funny, if that auction hadn't started 4 days ago I would have thought it could be someone from the meet - there being apps like TUBE and Warbirds that you guys got there

Guest skimask

I reckon you lot need to chill out a bit instead of acting like the spv-police on the web. there's cracks and hacks all over the net, why just stop with spv software? why not go and grass everyone providing hacked software. just my thoughts. (before anyone suggests it, i wasn't the seller, ain't even registered on ebay!)

Skimask, the thing is that SP software market is tiny and in this way people make money off developers that need them now to develop the platform. The PC soft is allready in abundance, so it's not such a big deal.

Also the faster dev's grow their starting capital from their soft at this stage the more we are likely to see good quality freebies from those guys.

And another thing is that these tw@s make $$ from selling stuff, whereas developers should really get it if anyone... And that's stupid, depriving people that put loads of hard work in their soft from reward for a stupid £5 CD innit??

Re hacks/warez - if you wanna get them and know how to, noone can actually stop you - but you don't claim anything for it coz that's a bit daft really.

And the fact that people bother to mention it to ebay just proves the fact that the "SPV community", more like "MoDaCo" one, hehe actually cares about it - which can only be a good thing. if you can actually stop it and bother, why not?? Good job, Firaas

Regards

madu

Guest Firaas
:? still a grass  :roll:

I notice you mention "SPV - Decertified" in your signature.

If software piracy on the SPV gets big, its quite simple: Orange/Handango/Developers don't make money. What happens then? They need to recoup the costs - and they do so by halting all "decertification" attempts.

They can recertify your phone as and when they wish, at a time and place of their choosing, legally, throughout the duration of your contract with them.

And once they have done so to all SPV owners, and kept consistent with it, freeware developing is down the plughole - all because once upon a time, on a boring Monday afternoon, 4,000 people decided that they wouldn't be bothered taking action against SPV piracy.

See the point?

If small scale piracy isn't stopped now, larger scale stuff won't ever be.

Guest Richie M

PC piracy started off small scale! Now look at it!

Firaas is spot on.

Yes some of my software on my PC is dubious but thats cos i can't afford £500 odd for one program and i feel 30 Days/save disabled etc is not long enough or adaquate to test a piece of software :shock:

But £5 for a program on my phone isn't too much and because of their (un)complexity the Demo's are more than adaquate for testing :lol:

We all know, the more piracey there is the higher the cost of development :(

Let's stop Smartphone Piracey now, so we can all afford to enjoy our phones ;)

Guest spacemonkey

And remember, there's a big difference (in my opinion anyway) between piracy where people are copying stuff for their friends at no charge and piracy where someone is making profit (ie selling) software they didn't create.

In the first case, it's depriving developers of money, which is bad, but the user also knows what they've got is dodgy/unsuported and will more likely support the programmer in the future.

In the second case, the user often gets a poorly packaged product without support and pays money for it. This money is much more directly being removed from developers pockets, because their products are attracting a price, just not to the right people. The user can also mistakenly think that the product was in fact produced by the pirate which will ultimately harm their impression of developers and future products.

And finally. I'd happily grass these guys up in the same way that I'd happily grass you up if I saw you mugging someone, or selling drugs outside a school. If that makes me a "bad" person, then I personally hope that there are a lot more "bad" people in society than it seems.

Mm, its theft pure and simple here - support the Smartphone developers and they'll have more incentive to bring us good applications, simple as that.

Guest abamara

Maybe theft is a strong word but I strongly endorse it! Look at it this way. They somehow obtained something that does not belong to them. They made several copies of it. And they are selling it to the highest bidder.

In some people's book that shows they're smart but if you were the owner of what they are now selling, you'd revise that description. Especially if you are not even acknowledged for the work.

Moral issues are becoming quite blurred these days that mentalities like 'being a grass is uncool' are growing alarmingly. I would rather grass and do the right thing than live with my conscience for keeping quiet about it. But that's another issue altogether.....Conscience.....does it exist anymore?...

THEFT: I second that!

Anyway, the bugger's sold it (and is probably reading this too... thinking: loosers!)

I'm all the way with you on that one spacemonkey!!

Guest midnight

errr, sold what, he's bound to be selling more than one copy of the cd

and yeh, as a developer of games on the smartphone i'd be might peaved off if someone ripped off the games i'm involved with. The sad fact is that this will become more and more common as the platform increases in popularity with the new handsets about to be released.

Guest Oggie

Well aren't we all a bunch of do gooders, and of course none of you use anything other than software that you have the legitimate licences for? (PC or SPV)

People in glass houses spring to mind.

Agreed this does involve piracey however the attitude towards people selling SPV tips (unlocking etc) via ebay seems a touch over zealous, if someone is dumb enough to buy this kind of thing from e-bay then let them, not everyone who owns an SPV will be an avid reader of this or other forums where the information is available so for some people if they don't purchase it they may never work out how to unlock their phones, in which case by reporting and getting these auctions closed (although with ebays record I doubt this actually happens) you may be depriving someone of finding out how to do these simple tasks.

Some people will sink to unbelievably low depths to obtain money and in the whole scheme of things selling 'stuff' on ebay is on the whole pretty harmless.

Oh and it is not my intention in anyway to defend the sellers, I just think the whole thing stinks of hypocrisy.

? Almost all of the software on my computer is legit thanks to a combination of student licensing and open source :lol:

I think that the main thing here is that Smartphone Development really is a niche area and needs all the help it can get.. For established products that cost hundreds of pounds on the PC, the userbase is massive, as are the profit margins in many cases..

Guest PhilA
Well aren't we all a bunch of do gooders, and of course none of you use anything other than software that you have the legitimate licences for? (PC or SPV)

People in glass houses spring to mind.

As a software developer who owns his own company, I can assure you that I have no software on my machine that is not 100% legit. In my mind, all piracy is theft and the excuse of "I can't afford it" cuts no ice with me - I can't afford a Ferrari but I don't go and nick one from the nearest dealer. Piracy costs me and people like me a lot of money - Think about that before you steal software-it's not a victimless crime

Guest skimask

calm down kids. am sure one bloke selling a couple cd s on ebay ain't gonna 'cripple' the spv developers. i'm considering going into an argument about how these developers should be certifying their products if they care so much about doing the right thing, got a feeling that's gonna open a whole new can of worms tho, so allow it. As for the comments comparing mugging and selling drugs to kids to downloading a bit of software, if i'm the only one who thinks that analogy is way off key, then i'm mighty glad i didn't register for this meet of yours! seriously tho, i ain't trying to kick off an argument, i just personally don't think it's that big a deal.

Guest Firaas
calm down kids. am sure one bloke selling a couple cd s on ebay ain't gonna 'cripple' the spv developers.
One bloke selling one cd isn't going to do much to cripple the SPV developer community, you're right on that.

Someone stealing one phone won't do much to the mobile phone industry. But we weren't able to act upon it fast and hard enough - and look where we are now - most people would be unwilling to pull out a mobile phone if they were on their own and a stranger asked to make a call.

i'm considering going into an argument about how these developers should be certifying their products if they care so much about doing the right thing, got a feeling that's gonna open a whole new can of worms tho, so allow it.

If you want developers to certify their products - why have you decertified your phone? I'm assuming to install apps, if so, why don't you pay every single software developer whose apps you have downloaded and installed £20 each - in fact, why don't you pay their electricity, phone, and gas bills? Someone has to, and them spending all their money certifying products so that people with no regard for morals can run around downloading free software at not only the developer's time, but also cost, isn't ideal for them is it?

Guest skimask

note the can o worms comment mate and relax your blood. i don't get these analogies you lot keep chucking about, someone snatching your phone and someone else downloading a piece of software can't even be compared. i decerted my phone to check out what this phone could do. i would've been happy to download a trial version and then pay for it if i liked the app. couldn't get the stuff to work unless i decerted tho. p.s. had a quick look on your website Firaas, you got a copy of office XP with the cd key in the 'files' section. was only a quick glance so it might be legit, but if not, then you might wanna remove it, the last thing we'd want is for microsoft to go out of business because of a few unscrupulous people! :lol:

Guest Firaas
i would've been happy to download a trial version and then pay for it if i liked the app. couldn't get the stuff to work unless i decerted tho. p.s. had a quick look on your website Firaas, you got a copy of office XP with the cd key in the 'files' section. was only a quick glance so it might be legit, but if not, then you might wanna remove it, the last thing we'd want is for microsoft to go out of business because of a few unscrupulous people! :lol:

Apologies, that directory should've been .htaccess'ed as are the others.

Yes I did have a folder called "Office XP Install" on there, with a file called "cd-key.txt" - what's your point?

This issue is specifically regarding SPV software. If you have a point to make regarding anything else, then please make it clearer.

Guest skimask

lol @ your impression of a barrister. and you don't have to apologise to me mate, i don't give a fcuk what you choose to distribute on your site. relax, it's only a phone! :lol:

Guest skimask

i'm easy about it mate. never intended to start an argument, just seems like the brother's taking it all a bit personal that's all! how about we squash the debate right here and those of you who do, carry on fighting the good fight , hunting the pirates down. am sure future generations will be eternally grateful for your efforts! :lol: