How to change Network Name?

Guest caio1

I don't think so... Unless you re-code the "carrier" plugin...

But why would you want that anyway?? If you just need personal text on homepage, use 'Owner info' in settings and use the owner plugin on homescreen.

Guest caio1

Here in italy the "omnitel" company just changed to "vodafone" and on the spv there's still the old "omnitel"... I like to be updated..hehe

Guest caio1

It doesn't depend by the transmittors....

It's depend by the firmware of the mobile phone.

I had a siemens s45 which initially showed "omnitel", but after a firmware upgrade started to show "vodafone".

Caio

Well, when I use my SPV in Ukraine with my UKR SIM or when I stick that one in, inUK - it shows whichever net I am on, so that cannot possibly be in firmware anyway...

Guest caio1

In siemens s45 firmware (and on many other mobile phone AFAIK) there's a long network list in the firmware which contains:

network name

network country code

netwrok id

When logging on a new network the phone reads the country code and id and upon of them displays the name.

I think there should be that list somewhere in spv too!

Caio

Guest awarner [MVP]

Or with nokia's it's just a matter of changing the logo.

I've just been looking for a list at the moment but no

luck at the moment. I'll try again just for fun :lol:

Guest awarner [MVP]
@awarner

Well... that way you're not changing the network name, but just hiding it behind a picture logo :lol:

Caio

Not quite true as when swapping simcards for other networks the new

network was displayed, putting back the original the changed logo came back.

When BT cellnet changed to O2 all the did was give you a new operator logo, which it exactly what I was doing.

Guest caio1

This happens because "operator logo" are well implemented.

As their name says they are strictly related to the operator, that's why changing network hides the operator logo you upped.

However I'm pretty sure there's an network list somewhere in spv... the matter is find it and try to edit it.

Any help appreciated.

Caio

Guest lycrawearer

I may have the answer here :-)

Browsing the files/folders the other day using SmartExplorer I came across a file (which I opened in Orneta Notepad) .. this file contained the Network ID & Network name for all networks ....

So the entry for Orange was something like

234-33 Orange

234-?? Vodafone

234-?? O2

and so on ! Maybe editing that file and then making it read-only would solve the problem ? Anyway, can't remember the name of the file ATM, but will have another look later when I get home from work !

Lycrawearer

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

As I've already pointed out, the homescreens are completely customisable through xml plugins :lol:

Simply replace the Operator plugin with a text one... ;)