How to change Network Name?

Guest caio1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest cclboss

I've got a good reason to change network name! Just got an iMate SP3 (C500) and when I roamed in China, the network name is garbled characters when my Xphone normally shows China Telecom as the operator. There are 3 operators in China and it would be nice to know which one I'm on. So now, back to the question, is there anyway to change or update this operator name list that is supposedly resident in the phone? Thanks.

So now, back to the question, is there anyway to change or update this operator name list that is supposedly resident in the phone? Thanks.
As stated on the previous page:

This does it perfectly

and:

Nobody's mentioned www.customcabbage.co.uk  :roll:  

Mine says "Leeds 4 Ever"  ^_^

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cclboss

I downloaded the RJV RegTweaks UI and it still doesn't help with the problem. The RegTweak program only list a few Operators and they aren't even the ones that are active in this part of the world. It seems the Operator list is hardcoded in the program as opposed to updated dynamically given the coverage in an area. Any other ideas??

Guest cclboss

That shouldn't be the case because any pure English phone (smartphone or not) should be able to get an English network operator name. Also, I have loaded a Chinese font on my phone so that I can read Chinese SMS and WAP pages.

Any other ideas?

Guest cclboss

Ok, finally got this to work with the help of someone from the Smartphone Newsgroup.

What you need is the network code for the network whose name you want to change. Then using RegEdit go to

(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/RIL/OperatorNames)

and there create a new value as "String"

Value name is the network code you find in the list below and value data is the text you want to display.

Voila, once you do that then you can name basically name your Network any name you want. I am just happy I was able to display the correct English for the China network that I was roaming in. :lol:

If you need help looking up network codes, then you can always browse

http://www.gsmworld.com

Have fun.

• 2 months later...