Orange and Tanager

Guest rocknsock2k

Guest rocknsock2k

I phoned up the handset upgrade service at oraneg to enquire about the release date of the tanager to which the man didnt know what i was talking about. Then asking me who made it i was temped to say HTC: the manufacturing company that makes it for orange but on second thoughts said you do to which the man had to go away for five minutes to find out what i was talking about before saying theres no ETA. Orange please inform your staff of all your services and platforms.

Does anyone know when the tanager goes on general release?...

Guest awarner [MVP]

SPVx and the Tanager are one and the same, just different names

it's like the Nokia 61xx was re-labled 702 by Orange. They just like to

have their own names for things.

Also as Firaas said, it was mentioned by Orange at the meet that it

will be released between 4 to 6 weeks, so 6 weeks would be the more

reliable figure.

Guest The unexpected guest !

According to this French article, Orange will launch an SPVII with integrated camera. The look will be close of the SPV and it will run on Smartphone 2003.

http://www.neteconomie.com/perl/navig.pl/n.../20030416222711

Translated from French with Babelfish:

Orange SPV "2" is scheduled for September

In complement of Smartphone Handspring, a successor of the SPV, always under microsoft but with camera, is scheduled for September 2003. 16/04/2003 to 22:27  

L be mobinautes will have the embarrassment of the choice for Christmas 2003. While announcing the launching of a smartphone under Palm OS 5, carried out with Handspring, Orange also the existence of a successor for his SPV confirms.  

As opposed to what thought many webzines specialized, this successor will not be SPVx, manufactured by HTC under the name of Tanager code and distributed in other countries of Europe, but another model, also manufactured by HTC but equipped with an integrated numerical camera.

Envisaged for September, this apparatus, whose name was not fixed yet, will be aesthetically close to the SPV and will turn on the platform Windows Smartphone, probably under its version 2003 "Ozone".  

With 60.000 French customers for his SPV, Orange declares satisfied with sound "smartphone" and thus intends to widen its multi-media range of terminals. In addition to this "SPV 2" and the model handspring, Orange does not exclude besides either to work with machines under Symbian . Highly Christmas...  

Jerome Bouteiller

Guest Firaas
According to this French article, Orange will launch an SPVII with integrated camera. The look will be close of the SPV and it will run on Smartphone 2003.

Just contacted the Orange Media Centre, and I'm informed that I'll be called back later today, hopefully with the answer - although it does seem very unlikely that Orange will quit the deal witH HTC and go straight to SPV2, especially when the Orange guy at the meet was very clear that they're releasing in six weeks...

Guest ClintEastman

That iPaq info suppose to be confidential until May 30th!!! ;)

And if I remember rightly, from the start Orange talked about a “Family” of SmartPhones, so why can’t they be bringing out both? SPVx for lifestyle customers, SPV2 for business / enthusiasts?

Guest Firaas

Just spoke to Orange Media Centre - the SPVx is still in the pipeline, correct name "SPVe100", and they still intend to release it in the near future.

Dodgy reporting by NetEconomie IMO.

Guest midnight

hehe, so have 3 spv's on the market at the same time???? nah :wink:

the spv2 may well be being made for september release, aint nothing wrong with that, and the fact is, the tanager will be made aswell, with a very likely release in around 6 weeks. september is 6 months away, and i'd think it will prolly be delayed (as usual) until november, which will be about right for the SPV2 (hopefully with much faster processor aswell as ozone).

Guest ClintEastman

I was talking about 2 SPVs on the market, the "Original" SPV will go out of production when the Tanager is released on Orange, would be to expensive two keep the plant producing to VERY similar products at once to the same market. SPV2 is obviously higher speced or there is not much point in it, so you end up with a “Cheap” SPV and an “Expensive” SPV. IMHO

Remember the whole point of this is to get Oranges data revenues up, they said it themselves!!

Guest midnight

hmmm, has anyone actually confirmed that the original spv will go out of production after the tanager is released????? the original orange stand on this was spv=business type user, tanager=gamer, this may change now, but makes sense to have the original spv as the cheap spv and the tanager as the expensive version.

like i said, its at least 6 months away to spv2 i reckon, which is about right, roughly 6 months between spv phones

Guest ClintEastman
hmmm, has anyone actually confirmed that the original spv will go out of production after the tanager is released?????
Orange wont even tell us when the update come out, so getting info on there production/costing details will never happen!!! Because it goes out of production doesn’t mean the stop selling it, depends on yield/and sales when it was in production.

the original orange stand on this was spv=business type user, tanager=gamer, this may change now, but makes sense to have the original spv as the cheap spv and the tanager as the expensive version.

It would have to be the SPV as the more expensive, lower production runs you see.

like i said, its at least 6 months away to spv2 i reckon, which is about right, roughly 6 months between spv phones

Sounds about right.

Guest Firaas

Orange wont even tell us when the update come out, so getting info on there production/costing details will never happen!!! Because it goes out of production doesn’t mean the stop selling it, depends on yield/and sails when it was in production.

I can get an official response from Orange regarding that when Stuart's back in the office next Wednesday. The only problem is that I don't expect Orange to say that the SPV will stop being sold.

Guest ClintEastman
depends on yield/and sails when it was in production.

You know when you type and your fingers move but your brain doesn't? Sound like SPV production is done on a big boat. Of course i ment sales!!! ;)

Guest The unexpected guest !

For your information:

SPVx (HTC Tanager) will only be sold by Orange in Danmark and Swiszerland. Other info for you : The rest of the production of the Tanager was bought by T-Mobile to be delivered this summer in Germany, Austria, etc.

YES, Orange plans to sell another HTC Smartphone with integrated camera for September. You can consider that UK and French customers will not have the SPVx but this new Smartphone! ;)

Guest Firaas
YES, Orange plans to sell another HTC Smartphone with integrated camera for September. You can consider that UK and French customers will not have the SPVx but this new Smartphone! ;)

Where did you get that info?