Next gadget that uses these SD cards

Guest HungrySPV

Guest HungrySPV

I have a feeling I might well end up with a few extra SD cards by the time I have finished with my SPV. So any recommendations on other gadgets that use SD cards ??? I know the SPV does pretty much everything but what other newish gadgets are worth taking a look at that use SD cards ?

Any digital video cameras use them instead of the flash ones ?

Guest Paul [MVP]

PM user Mark - he has the Blaupunkt DAB stereo that uses SD/MMC (woodstock), and he loves it - got it at an awesome price too!

I seem to remember it worked with both MMC and SD...

P

Guest Paul [MVP]

DAB (Digital Audio Broadcasting I think) is Digital Radio.

It's to radio what Sky is to TV. It potentially offers more stations through less limited bandwidth, CD quality sound and more...

I've never heard it, but reports are good...

P

Guest Firaas
"]DAB (Digital Audio Broadcasting I think) is Digital Radio.

It's to radio what Sky is to TV. It potentially offers more stations through less limited bandwidth, CD quality sound and more...

I've never heard it, but reports are good...

Just to add to it, I'm not sure exactly what the figures are, but people are being pushed onto Sky digital from analogue A LOT faster than analogue radioers are moving to DAB.

One of the main contributors to this is the fact that very few stations (if you consider the number of stations operating in each area) have actually decided to begin broadcasting on DAB. The quality of those that have is meant to be really good.

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

My flatmates got a shiney Sony (i think) DAB tuner. Once you have "full" signal it sounds great, CD quality and and optical output, so you could effectively feed it into an audigy on your PC and record to CD with no digital signal whatsoever...

In terms of signal quality, it doesn't work in the way it was originally marketed, either "on" or "off". If the signal is weak you get more anamolies in the output (think what an mp3 sounds like when encoded at a low bitrate...)

Guest Firaas
In terms of signal quality, it doesn't work in the way it was originally marketed, either "on" or "off".  If the signal is weak you get more anamolies in the output (think what an mp3 sounds like when encoded at a low bitrate...)

Ah cool.

Same with the digital TVs. We got a DVB TV last year, which is basically a TV with an ITV digital box built in, and where signal was weak, you expected it to switch off altogether, but basically it just showed the odd small/large green box where it didn't have sufficient signal strength.

Guest mcwarre
In terms of signal quality, it doesn't work in the way it was originally marketed, either "on" or "off".  If the signal is weak you get more anamolies in the output (think what an mp3 sounds like when encoded at a low bitrate...)

BBC has actually admitted that in order to increase range (hence coverage) they have had to degrade signal. In fact they have admitted that FM quality is better (with a decent tuner).

Still it is only a ploy to get us to:

1. Buy new hardware (to support thr 'economy' (or is that someones profit's)

2. Move to digital so the government can flog off the analogue frecencies to the highest bidder (who will then pass the costs onto us)

Anyway we have to pay? Mmmmm Capitalism, Niicee...........

Paul : DAB commercial is available in Norwich NOW!, no BBC yet, until someone climbs up the transmitter.

The DAB measuring people were out and about in essex and suffolk this week, driving a landrover with one of those USB dab tuners on the roof.. how high tech!! ;)

Will

Guest HungrySPV

Any recommended digicams then ?

I'll start doing my research on DAB. Have to be honest never seen a DAB tuner in my life, so if you have any other recommended ones would be interested.

The Car Stereo looks cool. Whats the difference between a MMC SD Card and a normal SD Card ??

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

MMC's and SD Cards are the same tech, SD cards are just more secure (either by encryption or the addition of a "lock" switch), and fast, i think.

They're newer tech and allow for more functionality, eg SDIO.

If thats too many acronyms let mek now and i'll (literally) expand on this hehe

Guest HungrySPV

Mono - Okay you got me on SDIO :oops:

Thanks Firaas - I think its gonna be a digicam. They really are so much cheaper now. If I can find a decent one thats rechargeable and takes SD cards I think I'll go for that.

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

SDIO - Secure Digital Input/Output

Lets you attach devices (camera's, BT/WiFi dongles, flashes etc) to your main device using the SDIO port.

The SPV is capable of this, it just needs the drviers though! ;)

Guest HelloDave

I've heard DAB is good, but never used it meself - don't use the radio enough to justify upgrading my Sony seperate tuner (which sounds very good). The vast majority of radio stations (except Radio 3 I think) compress their signals (to "squish" their dynamic range) which reduces quality even before they're transmitted on DAB or FM. Don't forget if you have DAB in your car i'm 99% sure you need a new arial to go with it as well. IIRC that Blaupunkt tuner only worked with MMC cards - search for "Blaupunkt" and have a look in the original thread.

As far as Sky Digital goes I still think the quality of analogue TV is better; IIRC Sky use MPEG 1 compression at 320*240 resolution for TV, which doesn't look that great, especially on the low bandwidth channels (shopping, music etc). I vaguely remember from a uni lecture some time ago that digital TV uses a set number of multiplexes to transmit programmes, and each multiplex has a fixed bandwidth which can share from 1 to a maximum of about 12 channels at a data rate of 500-12000 Kbps each. This means that channels like Kerrang, Q etc get the lowest data rate, and the picture can look really blocky especially during fast movement. Even Sky Sports isn't great - watch the grass during a football match and you'll see it blurs as the camera pans accross the pitch and there are some compression artefacts around the edge of each player too - picky I know but that's just me! It doesn't help that we got the worst digibox in history - the Amstrad ones are totally sh*te, although Pace aren't too bad (and our installer was meant to bring a Pace box :)) Roll on next gen digital TV with DiVX quality compression ;)

Other uses for SD cards...hmmm; as well as PDAs and cameras you can also use them in USB keychain drives and Panasonic sell an SD music player (uses a custom encrypted music format though). I think Panasonic make an SD car head unit as well, but can't remember any details.

Guest Firaas
Thanks Firaas - I think its gonna be a digicam.  They really are so much cheaper now.  If I can find a decent one thats rechargeable and takes SD cards I think I'll go for that.

What's your budget?

Guest HungrySPV

Sounds interesting Mono. I'll expect to see Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible 3 hacking into something using his SPV connected using a SDIO device ;)

Firaas - I think I'll have around 200 give or take a bit.