For skinners: Automatic HME packaging inside!

Guest Colonel Hogan

Guest Colonel Hogan
I had the same errors on the setup - dunno what they meant coz my French always was awful!!  Did the VB6 runtimes, & got the .exe file - so now the app open up fine (except it's all French & my French ...) but when I click the create .hme button, the app just hangs with the eggtimer forever (well, at least 3 minutes til I turned it off!).  Is this normal??  Do you have to go & make a cup of tea while it does it's thing!

To get the panel in English, just launch it with a /E parameter.

If the process is too long, perhaps you hae some specials characters in your hme name, like . or /

eg "hme.name" is not correct...you must use "hme_name"

Normally the process is very fast.

For others: there is a HLP file in the download setup.

Guest drblow
To get the panel in English, just launch it with a /E parameter.

If the process is too long, perhaps you hae some specials characters in your hme name, like . or /

eg "hme.name" is not correct...you must use "hme_name"

Normally the process is very fast.

For others: there is a HLP file in the download setup.

Thanks for the reply the colonel!!

I'm sorry, but I have no idea of what you mean when you say launch the app with a /E parameter. Can you explain simply how this is done??

I didn't use any special characters in the name for the homescreen, but I didn't use _ either - so I will try that again.

Thanks!

Guest Colonel Hogan

For the parameter: just create a shortcut to launch the app, and add the /E after the path, like:

"c:program filessmartskinsmartskinhme.exe /E" then you get in in English. :wink:

you have to use the _ only to replace the point (.)

Guest drblow

Em... you'll probably think I'm really dumb, but how exactly do I create this shortcut??

I have the app icon on my desktop, if I create a shortcut on the desktop, do I just rename it - coz it wont let me add / to a file name??

Guest Colonel Hogan
Em... you'll probably think I'm really dumb, but how exactly do I create this shortcut??

I have the app icon on my desktop, if I create a shortcut on the desktop, do I just rename it - coz it wont let me add / to a file name??

Do it in the shortcut you already have on your desktop. You can add the /E AFTER the quotation mark it's my fault :oops:

like:

"c:program filessmartskin.exe" /E

Guest drblow

This is really embarrassing!! :oops:

I don't know what you mean!? You'll have to explain this to me as if I were an alien who had never seen a computer before!! :oops: :oops:

I have an icon on the desktop. I right click the icon & select 'rename' - when I try to add the computer says that I can't use any symbols like that in a file of this kind.

I feel like an idiot - please help me... or shoot me! :shock:

Guest jim80b

ok, got to the shortcut, right click, go to properites (last one)

click it.

2nd tab (on xp at least) is shortcut

the target box is the one you want.

at the end add /E (after the ")

click ok

try it

Guest jim80b

btw this prog is good...

have just installed it and tried it and compared with my 10 mins of inf's and dos boxes (others who created cabs/hmes the old way will know the slowness of it)

it took like 10 secs....

very nice

Guest drblow

Cheers jim80b!

At least I've got it opening in English now! By the way, I have XP home edition, & the target box appears on the first page of the properties tab. I know I sound like a complete loser here - but I'm just having difficulty following the instructions being posted! Anyway - thankyou for your last idiot proof reply! :oops:

Now, can anyone explain in a nice, simple, clear way, how to get the app to save a file??? I don't understand colonel hogan's instructions on naming the file. Do you have to add .hme at the end of the file name?? Or is it _hme?? Can someone write down an example of a name they have used? Or better still, a screenshot of the app just ready to save a file?

I'm trying to make a hme file for my recent 'mixer' skin. I just want the file to be called mixer.hme (if that's possible). But any time I try to use this app, when I click the 'just do it' box, the eggtimer starts & don't stop! I get an xml file in the destination folder called 'postinstall.xml' - which does nothing.

What am I doing wrong?

Guest Colonel Hogan
Cheers jim80b!

Now, can anyone explain in a nice, simple, clear way, how to get the app to save a file???  I don't understand colonel hogan's instructions on naming the file.  Do you have to add .hme at the end of the file name??  Or is it _hme??  Can someone write down an example of a name they have used?  Or better still, a screenshot of the app just ready to save a file?

I'm trying to make a hme file for my recent 'mixer' skin.  I just want the file to be called mixer.hme (if that's possible).  But any time I try to use this app, when I click the 'just do it' box, the eggtimer starts & don't stop!  I get an xml file in the destination folder called 'postinstall.xml' - which does nothing.

What am I doing wrong?

1) If you want to obtain a "mixer.hme", juste put "mixer" in the "HME name". Never put any spaces or specials character.

2) The program can hang if there are some read-only files. Check this.

3) Normally, you can stop the process even the cursor is the hourglass one.

Guest Colonel Hogan
btw this prog is good...

have just installed it and tried it and compared with my 10 mins of inf's and dos boxes (others who created cabs/hmes the old way will know the slowness of it)

it took like 10 secs....

very nice

Thanks

Hey, I know the boring of DOS commands, that's why I create it :)

Hey, nice prog!

I used it today when i modified my first skin ever.

Have one request though...

If you load a xml file the prog only look for jpg and gif files?

can you please make it look for: wav,xml,mid and skn also?

I hope you understand what i mean...

Guest Colonel Hogan

Thanx.

For the moment, you can add files using the "add files" button, but they will be placed in the home directory... (event the sounds....)

I already have a request like this, i'll do it soon :)

Guest drblow
1) If you want to obtain a "mixer.hme", juste put "mixer" in the "HME name". Never put any spaces or specials character.

2) The program can hang if there are some read-only files. Check this.

3) Normally, you can stop the process even the cursor is the hourglass one.

Tried all that - still just hangs! I left it for 10 minutes today. There are some files being created in the destination folder - .ini & .xml - but no .hme file!!

:cry:

Guest Colonel Hogan

Can you send me by email all the files you want to package please, i'll try it, I thnik it's the best way to know where the problem is :?

EDIT: ok i've got it :wink:

• 4 months later...
Guest JamesBond007

I keep getting a "type mismatch" error when trying to install this app. Can someone help? The installation is in French so I can't understand what's going wrong. I even went so far as to create the application's directory in C:/Program Files/SmartSkinHME with the same results.

Thanks,

Guest Colonel Hogan
I keep getting a "type mismatch" error when trying to install this app.  Can someone help?  The installation is in French so I can't understand what's going wrong.  I even went so far as to create the application's directory in C:/Program Files/SmartSkinHME with the same results.

Thanks,

At which moment does it appears? :?

Perhaps you can try to execute it directly, find the attachment...

SmartSkinHme.zip

Guest JamesBond007

I got it working now. Great app!!!!

Placing english direction here for anyone that needs them:

Somewhere this thread the prereq's were buried. Please understand you need to install the Smartphone 2002 SDK and place the exe for this utility in the tools directory of the SDK. Then place all the files that go with the .hme you're creating in that same directory. Open the SmartSkinHME tool and locate the .xml file that's associated with your new skin.

The tool will then find the references to the other .jpg and .gif files referenced in the xml file and place them in the large box. If you have other files that go with your skin that aren't identified by the tool you'll need to use the "add file" button to locate them and place them in the large build box. Once you have all the files you're using in the build box you need to place the file name in the bottom box without any special characters, spaces, or file extensions. The click the "Just Do it" button to make the tool run and generate your .hme file.