Windows Longhorn

Guest gradiation

Guest Richie M
Richie have you tried activesync on this build?

Does explorer work for you?

Sorry Clint, havent used it for a couple o'days so aint had chance to check :oops: Normal Explorer is fine, not tried search from SideBar but normal Search works OK.

Davidrm, i posted a link in my original Longhorn theme for the icons i used ;) (link to thread is in my sig)

Guest Richie M
Are those the proper Longhorn 4015 icons or just the SPV homescreen ones you used Richie M :?:

Longhorn's program Icons are the same as XP's, which is why i used better icons on the SPV Theme ;)

One cool thing tho, which you won't be able to do on you desktop, is that with Longhorn thw little icons in Explorer are animated 8) so when the drives busy, ie searching, you get a nice animated icon :)

Forgot to answer you before, unfortunately i don't know where you get Virtual PC from anymore, i've had mine a while. And last i heard was that Microsoft brought the company and pulled the product because they didn't like people running Windows on Mac's etc :roll: (i could well be wrong about that, just what i heard)

Guest Vector

Yeh, i saw that aswell :), i was asking about the icons because someone told me to get the longhorn icon package, but since the icons aren't different then it doesn't really matter ;)

Guest ClintEastman

They bought "Virtual PC Server". They are releasin it under the Microsoft banner....

And the beta Has been leaked, but that's very naughty!

Guest ClintEastman

Oh, and for anyone running LH there is a reporting service that reports your IP to MS.....

So MS know were you are (or could find out real easy) ;)

Guest ClintEastman
WinHEC 2003: First Look at Longhorn Graphics

In a pre-show demonstration of the Longhorn graphics subsystem at the WinHEC trade show in New Orleans Monday night, I saw for the first time some of the advanced video effects that Microsoft will enable in the next Windows version. Longhorn, due in late 2004 or early 2005, includes a completely new desktop composition system that replaces the model used in previous Windows versions with one that is more technically advanced, visually appealing, and scalable. The early test versions Microsoft is showing at WinHEC include amazing animation effects, smooth window scaling, and advanced window translucency.

The change is startling. In previous Windows versions, the Windows desktop was rendered as a single display surface and each window is a region on that shared surface. In this model, individual windows are only responsible for drawing their own surfaces, and then only when those surfaces are not hidden by other windows. In Longhorn, each window has its own, full-featured surface, independent of the other windows and each window thinks it is always 100 percent visible, forcing it to redraw itself constantly. Likewise, the desktop is rendered many times a second by combining the contents of each open window. These changes requires significantly more graphics resources than previous Windows versions, of course, but Microsoft notes that most modern PCs have 3D graphics power to spare. For those PCs that don't have the hardware necessary to take advantage of the full Longhorn user experience, Microsoft will scale the graphics back into different modes.

Read on!!! I Can't WAIT to see this!!!

http://www.wininformant.com/Articles/Index...ArticleID=38925

longhorn_4015_graphics_demo.jpg

Guest ClintEastman
WinHEC 2003: Longhorn Graphics a Mac Clone?

And speaking of people not getting it, I've been deluged with email from crazed Mac fans this week who are convinced that Longhorn's new graphics effects are nothing more than a tired retread of what's been available on Mac OS X thanks to its Quartz and Quartz Extreme rendering technologies. And again, the people making these comparisons haven't actually seen the technology in question--Longhorn, in this case--but are rather drawing conclusions based on descriptions they've read online. Folks, it's not that simple: The Longhorn graphics engine features amazing functionality, including the ability to scale discrete onscreen elements in a virtually unlimited fashion with surprising smoothness and clarity. And remember, we're not even seeing the Longhorn user interface yet--the Longhorn graphics architecture demos shown off this week were all done on the old XP user interface. So we can assume it's going to get a lot better when the hardware-accelerated 3D video-based UI is added on top of the rendering engine. Kerry Hammil, an "Avalon" Program Manager on the Windows Client Platform team, told me that Longhorn's Desktop Composition Engine (DCE) and Quartz Extreme attempt to address the same issues, and are similar from that standpoint, but that DCE is more dynamic and will result in more impressive and immersive on-screen displays. That's because Microsoft is using DCE to add exciting screen effects to user-initiated actions, not just highly controlled visual events like minimizing an application or apply translucency to a terminal window. Microsoft hasn't decided on the final effects that will be added to the Longhorn UI, but the technology demos Hammil provided this week at WinHEC drew gasps and cheers from the audience, made up largely of seasoned hardware and driver programmers, no less. It's heady stuff.

WinHEC 2003: Longhorn Will Feature Tiered User Interface

Another interesting aspect of Longhorn's graphics architecture, or Desktop Composite Engine (DCE), is that it will offer users a choice of three different user interfaces. In the most basic UI, Longhorn can be made to look like Windows 2000, in sort of a backwards-compatibility mode aimed at enterprises that want to rollout Longhorn but don't want to retrain users. The next step up is the so-called Tier 1 interface, which will feature a scaled down version of the new Longhorn user interface that is as visually complex as Windows XP's graphics capabilities. The Tier 1 interface will include basic effects like transparency only and will require a minimum level of hardware-based 3D capabilities. The full meal deal, or what Microsoft is currently calling the Tier 2 interface, will be "graphically stunning," and offer rich, 3D-based video, transitions, and other graphical effects. Tier 2 is a superset of Tier 1, I'm told, and these two experiences will be visually related, but it will be obvious which is higher quality and more attractive. The Tier 1 and Tier 2 names, incidentally, are only temporary, and Microsoft expects to have better names--and marketing plans--for them sometime this summer. But the idea is that high-end PCs would offer the best interface, giving consumers reason to want to upgrade.

WinHEC 2003: Longhorn Will Install in 15 Minutes, Offer New Modularity

As hinted at by recently leaked alpha versions of Longhorn, Microsoft's next major client operating system will be fully componentized and offer an amazing image-based install that will cut unattended installations of the product down to 15 minutes or less, the company says. Here's how it will work: In Longhorn, Microsoft will offer system builders a core OS image that will quickly boot and run on any PC. This image will include the 95 percent or so of the OS that is language- and edition-independent, and is therefore applicable to any Longhorn version. Capabilities are added to the core OS component using add-on components like SKU#1 (what we call Home Edition today), SKU#2 (Professional Edition), Tablet PC SKU, Media Center SKU, and others like service packs, hot-fixes, and so on. What this all means that, in addition to the speedy install times--Plug-n-Play detection of your specific hardware will take just about 5 minutes, I'm told--this componentized approach means that future OS updates won't have to ship in hundreds of different versions that support multiple languages and product versions. For system makers, this new scheme is particularly exciting because they can use the new XML-based unattended installation features to custom-create OS images immediately when customers order a new PC. So, for example, it will take just 15 minutes, from time of order, to create an install a PC with a version of Longhorn that includes, say, French language support, Media Center capabilities, and Service Pack 1. That's good stuff.

WinHEC 2003: WinFS Runs on Top of NTFS, Not a New File System

Another interesting tidbit that came out of the Longhorn deployment and manufacturing session was that the Windows Future Storage (WinFS) file system isn't a new file system at all. Instead, WinFS is an add-on that requires NTFS to work, and it runs on top of NTFS. This explains why there is a WinFS service in alpha builds of Longhorn, I suppose. Microsoft is also requiring that Longhorn systems be installed on top of NTFS, and not FAT or FAT32 partitions. However, Longhorn will be able to read and access FAT-based partitions.

You lot better be reading this stuff!! This is the future of the PC Platform....

:)

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Supposedly it won't need any kind of kickarse system, probably a midrange PC today with a modern gfx card would be a minimum spec, bearing in mind LH won't be available for another year or two yet...