Screen and scratches

Guest Rob.P

I have been extremely careful with my phone, yet it has got a grazing scratch on the screen.

Do we know if there are replacements or does it have to go back to Orange?

I have been extremely careful with my phone, yet it has got a grazing scratch on the screen.

Do we know if there are replacements or does it have to go back to Orange?

It may sound like a daft suggestion, but (I've never tried them) have you ever seen those CD repair solutions (or windscreen repair solutions)? I'm wondering if you could fix scrathes with those... I think they are just a liquid that you apply with a cloth and they smooth scratches over with a clear coating (removing the scratch).

Again (this wouldn't help you now), I've never tried them, but are there any of those clear phone 'skins' available for SPV? They would be quite handy (I was always worried about scratching the screen when I had mine and wanted a way of protecting it).

Great suggestion, dunno why I didn't think of that, will give it ago later when I get home and let you know how it went.

Talking of those phone skins, that's a reason why I thought it might be possible to replace the screen. I remember seeing one with a blue front around the screen which I presumed was the swapable bit of the phone, which would be great cause I wouldn't have to worry so much about scratching it again.

Guest spacemonkey
Great suggestion, dunno why I didn't think of that, will give it ago later when I get home and let you know how it went.

Talking of those phone skins, that's a reason why I thought it might be possible to replace the screen.  I remember seeing one with a blue front around the screen which I presumed was the swapable bit of the phone, which would be great cause I wouldn't have to worry so much about scratching it again.

There's a sheet of plastic between the actual LCD screen and my grubby fingers. However to replace this you'd need to pull the whole phone to bits and you'd probably have to do some custom job of your own to create a replacement. I think it unlikely that parts like that will become available to the general public as Orange isn't likely to want to encourage home techies ripping apart their phone.

Of course give it time and the modders community will probably be replacing the plastic and putting blue LEDs in the phone and stuff....

I thought there was a plastic layer but couldn't tell for sure. Most electronics have a plastic layer that comes of like the camera lens. I usually rip it off especially with my remote controls cause it don't take long for those ones to go manky.

I might refrain from ripping this one off, should mean that the CD scratch repair would have more chance of working.

Guest spacemonkey
I thought there was a plastic layer but couldn't tell for sure.  Most electronics have a plastic layer that comes of like the camera lens.  I usually rip it off especially with my remote controls cause it don't take long for those ones to go manky.

I might refrain from ripping this one off, should mean that the CD scratch repair would have more chance of working.

Yeah, I don't think it's that kind of plastic layer tho. it's like if you pull the shell off the front of the phone I'd expect you'll have the screen embedded in all the electronic mojo and then in the plastic shell piece there will be a hard sheet of clear plastic, like a window. But yes this should definitely mean that the CD repair sort of option might be a good goer...

Guest rcraswell

I've noticed a bit of dust accumulating between the protective plastic screen and the LCD. Haven't tried to figure out how to pull the phone apart yet though. If I recall, this was a problem with the iPaqs as well.

Guest elementalist

Ugh, lets not talk about iPaq dust... I had mine, like, an hour until a big blob of dust appeared in it. SO annoying. Mind you I don't use it much since I got the SPV 8)

If anyone here's of a lightweight, use-the-phone-while-its-on case for the SPV please let me know!

• 1 month later...

I too have scratched my SPV (im a muppet i know!).

Dom - Just wondered how you got on with the Windscreen/CD repair solution? Have you managed to fix your screen any other way?

Any suggestions are welcome ;)

Yep fixed it a treat with Displex, a small tude you can buy from carphonewarehouse, mine had it in stock. Cleared the screen up a treat, then bought an iPac screen protector and cut it down to size (as someone on the forum suggested), then went out and bought another one cause I messed the first one up (a brief aflication of muppet disease ;) )

It's nice to see im not the only one out there with muppet disease then :wink: Thanks for the advice - im going to my local carphone warehouse tomorrow. Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to get hold of displex at almost every mobile phone shop in Portsmouth but they do not stock it and generally have not heard of it. I assume that different branches of shops hold different stock. However the product is available via the following link:

www.scratchremover.co.uk

I cannot comment on the service provided by this company (delivery time/quality of product) but I will be ordering on payday and will update this thread in case anybody else wants to try the product.

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

I just tried squirting compressed air into every orifice i could find on the phone, no result :/

My SPV is nice and cold now though ;)

OK - got the product yesterday, and tried it last night. The results are pretty good, the scratch has gone!

You can tell that something has been done to the screen if you tilt it in the light while the phone is off (or the screensaver is on with no backlight), but all in all im pretty impressed. looks better than it did with a scratch anyway!

Hi all,

I have my SPV now 4 weeks. Since day one dust has been accumulating underneath the screen. There is an article here on bornsloppy - a very good SPV site - http://www.bornsloppy.co.uk/dust.htm on how to open your SPV and remove the dust.

You got to look at suggestion 2 - The vacuum cleaner trick :!: Anyone tried that trick?

Incidently, I haven't tried opening my SPV so I don't know if this works well. Anyone tried opening theirs?

;) Me neither!

But if I ready the article correctly the author has tried it. However, I still think I will wait until I really need to do something about it :!:

I had an Ericsson T68 which seemed to suffer from alot of dust beneath the screen. I've not had the same problem yet with the SPV, but it is early doors and I do treat it with extra love and attention (apart from scratching the bloody screen at football!)

You could always try getting someone at a phone service centre to open it up and give it a quick clean. not sure if they would charge you or not. Probably depends on how they are feeling that day!

Hi all,

You got to look at suggestion 2 - The vacuum cleaner trick  :!: Anyone tried that trick?

I have tried but nothing happened. I do treat my phone with love and I am really very careful with it, but the dust under the screen is still increasing.. I don't know what to do... ;) HELP !!! :!:

Guest awarner [MVP]

I would not like to try T-cut :shock: as it's a fine abasive.

It would work by taking a thin layer off the plastic.

I think I'll stick with the PDA screen covers that

were mentioned and try and avoid getting scratches ;)

I know it's a bit late for those who have scratches.

Guest Shuflie

I can confirm that the vaccum cleaner trick has no effect what so ever. Opening the case and giving the whole thing a quick go over with a soft bristle brush however makes a remarkable difference to the phone. I did it a couple of weeks ago and have only just started to notice dust appearing again. One thing that you should realise though is that your case will look as if it has been opened unless you are extremly careful when you prise the back cover off, mine has a row of nicks around the edge where I used a knife to get the cover off. For those that intend doing it though, the back cover slots over clips on the front of the cover (quite a few of them too). Have a jewelers cross point screwdriver handy too as you will need it to remove the screw holding the front cover to the phone when you get the back cover off. its located roughly behind where the Orange logo is on the cover.

Incidentally the earpiece doesn't open out directly above the screen, there is a ridge seperating it from the screen with some sort of seal which doesn't seem to be doing its job properly. Next time I clean mine I'm going to see if I can get something to seal it off a bit better.

After having my last phone stuck on the headset Profile I thought that it may be a stuck contact inside. I have taken many things apart before and so as shown on bornsloppy I tried it out.

All came apart OK and went back OK. But if you looked very closely you could see where I had prised the caseing open. I was as carefull as possible but it was imposible not too. You can see on the pictures of the phone in bits on Bornsloopy he has had the same problem.

Orange however didn't notice when I returned the phone as I hadn't manage to slove the headphone problem!!!!

So it's up to you but I wouldn't recomend it if you don't want marks down the side of your phone.

Cheers

Frost

• 3 years later...
Guest julianpitten

Hi all

I have spvc600 and developed scratches.Trust me on this as I have been using this on my Rolex plastic screen for years..Brasso wadding