SMART (Philippines) users of the Amazing Phone (Tanager)

Guest jabez

Guest jabez

Hi there! :)

It's so nice to know that there is a forum like this that discusses the SmartPhone. I'll be inviting all my friends who just bought SPVx units during SMART's sales blitz last April to join this forum. I'm sure just like me, they have TONS of questions on this new amazing product.

Mabuhay!

Guest jabez

My KaSPAMyans (countrymen)

Since SMART isn't giving us so much information about the SmartPhone, I tried digging up some info about it.

The Smartphone is known internationally as the Tanager* or the SPVx. It is manufactured by HTC which is a Taiwanese (Chinese) firm.

It is a Windows-powered device that enables the user to download softwares from different websites and developers.

With the SmartPhone, you have to "re-orient" your perspective that you don't just have a "phone" but you have in a "mobile computer" in your hands.

*The tanager (tán-ne-jer) is a songbird from North and South America.

Guest jabez

Let the questions begin:

I unlocked my SmartPhone and tried a Globe (Prepaid) SIM on it. I was able to send an SMS to one of my contacts so I concluded that I did the right unlocking procedure.

Are there any dangers in unlocking the SmartPhone? What "bugs" should I look out for?

Guest Monolithix [MVP]
The Smartphone is known internationally as the Tanager* or the SPVx. It is manufactured by HTC which is a Taiwanese (Chinese) firm.

And the SPV's code name was "Canary", for a bit of useless trivia.

SIM Unlock: no adverse side effects i know of...

Guest jabez

Thanks for the trivia info!

Just to clarify ... I think the earlier version of SPV was code-named "Canary". Then the later model (SPVx) was named the "Tanager". The manufacturers must be fascinated with birds!

I have the "Tanager" (I think).

Guest lutzh

hi together

i was able to get one of this smart tanagers to europe and i love it!

what you wrote here is right so far: the tanager is the second try after the spv which was manufactured from htc exclusively for orange. all that changed between the spv and the tanager is: a different body, a better screen and an improved keyboard. up to now it has a newer rom version and it includes ia album/ia photo, which usually is an app you have to pay for. another big fortune is that the smart tanager is not application locked so you can install any software out there that is created for ms driven smartphones. orange sells its spv application locked so you have to decertify it (just search on the forum for details of decertification).

of course you can sim unlocking it and beside the fact that you may loose warranty there are no known handicaps in unlocking the tanager.

more questions? feel free to ask...

cheers, lutz

Guest mpak
hi together

i was able to get one of this smart tanagers to europe and i love it!  

what you wrote here is right so far: the tanager is the second try after the spv which was manufactured from htc exclusively for orange. all that changed between the spv and the tanager is: a different body, a better screen and an improved keyboard. up to now it has a newer rom version and it includes ia album/ia photo, which usually is an app you have to pay for. another big fortune is that the smart tanager is not application locked so you can install any software out there that is created for ms driven smartphones. orange sells its spv application locked so you have to decertify it (just search on the forum for details of decertification).  

of course you can sim unlocking it and beside the fact that you may loose warranty there are no known handicaps in unlocking the tanager.  

more questions? feel free to ask...

cheers, lutz

Its different ROM?so if we flash an SPV with SPVx rom we have an upgrade... :wink:

Guest jabez

Hi lutzh!

Nice to hear from fellow Tanager users.

Will it really help to get a Secure Digital Card for my SmartPhone?

Guest jabez

Other questions:

I tried the "Insert Recording" feature (in the Inbox/SMS Menu) and all my recipients get are blank messages. Is this feature handset dependent or network dependent.

Reading from posts in various topics, I see some codes/acronyms/jargon which I don't understand:

What is a "soft reset" and a "hard reset"?

Is "decertitfying" the same as "unlocking"?

More questions to come!

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Soft reset is a power cycle, turning the handset off then on.

Hard reset is erasing all information, files, settings, and messages and returing the phone to its out-of-the-box state.

De-certifying is the process of removing the restriction on European Orange SPV's that only allows digitally signed software to be run on the phone. Digital signing is an expensive and tedious process and therefore provides a lot of restrictions to home developers.

Unlocking is a bog standard removal of the SIM lock.

Hope this helps.

Guest jacoch

The Tanager from Smart is not so well packaged as the SPV. I received mine and there is not headset, no SD card and no craddle (only an USB cable). And unfortunately, the SPV craddle is unusable (bottom of Tanager is larger).

The ROM is not so different, except that most languages are not available (no french for example). The main difference is a buggy char counter for SMS. It's a trick that changes the Window title with char counter instead of 'New message'. But recipient has to be a number in order to work. So not very interesting. I have restore my SPV backup on my Tanager.

Guest dyey

hey there :)

quick operator-related questions:

1. how does windows messenger interact with a prepaid account? i mean, does it reduce credits depending on how long you're logged on or by how many messages you've sent (also in either cases, by how much)?

2. how about mobile email checking? does smart charge by standard gprs (per kb downloaded) or by some other manner?

3. lastly, does anyone experience sudden signal problems with smart (where although the phone displays signal bars, you can't send/receive calls/msgs)? although a quick phone reset fixes this, it gets annoying since you might end up missing important calls :x

salamat :(

Guest brdavidjr

Hi dyey!

I'm not from SMART, I'm one of their subscribers (probably like you). I myself am not sure how SMART charges these Value-Added Services. I have a Smart Gold Plan.

If there are people from SMART logged-on to this forum, they might answer your queries.

I started this thread so we (Filipino users of the SmartPhone) could have a forum to air our queries/comments on this new product which is so different from the NOKIA's we are so used to.

Admittedly, I felt disappointed with the unit on its first day with me. But the admiration for it somehow grows on you. Right now, I wouldn't part with it ... even if I was offered the latest from other makers.

Thanks to fora like this ... I discover all the good things about my Tanager (he he he ... no one in the Philippines calls it that)

Guest brdavidjr

Hi people!

Does anybody here know how to deal with thie problem?

When an SMS I am trying to send is not sent ("Message Sending Failed"), I could not go back to the message to re-send it. I have to compose it all over again. Is there a way out of this?

Guest brdavidjr

Hi people!

Does anybody here know how to deal with this problem?

When an SMS I am trying to send is not sent ("Message Sending Failed"), I could not go back to the message to re-send it. I have to compose it all over again. Is there a way out of this?

Guest lutzh

hi brdavidjr,

the message should still be in the outbox (under options/folders) - from there you can send it again. try it and come back if it works or doesnt.

cheers, lutz

Guest dinoalbert

brdavidjr, you can go to Sent Items folder and you can see the message you sent that failed...then you can use "forward" ...no need to compose again.

jabez, I guess if your not really into movie clips, mp3s, or gaming, you dont need the SD...probably for now only. But I believe later on, you will feel the need to buy the SD card since the internal memory of the Tanager is only around 8Mb. So at least 128Mb SD card is very useful...you can start storing great games, MP3s and some movies to show off to your mates :)

By the way there is already a thread earlier than this one...started last April 12,2003 with the Topic "any filipinos here" and it's got 5 pages with 60 posts as of this moment.

another trivia.... if your familiar with PocketPCs (Windows-powered PDA), I believe the O2 XDA has the same port as the Tanager's...so you could buy and use the synch cable/power cable/keyboard (?) of the O2 XDA PocketPC.

Im from a Pinoy PocketPC usergroup and the Tanager was first launched last February during the Pinoy PocketPC mobility event.

mabuhay!!!

Guest dinoalbert

byey, Im not really familiar with prepaid account. But for postpaid, for Smart Gold subscriber, you have 235 mins of free voice calls, 390 free sms and once you consumed them all, on top of your monthly bill you will be charged P0.50 for every sms, P6.50/min call (peak hrs) or P2.00/min (off-peak)...... plus P5.00/mms sent ; gprs usage outside Smart portal (e.g. Modaco) is P0.25/kb ; gprs within Smart portal is P2.50/link ; P15.00 for every downloads (?).

Better yet, you can dial *888 and inquire from their customer service.

Guest jabez

Hi lutzh and dinoalbert!

Thanks for the info... I tried forwarding it from the "Sent Items Folder" ... but the forwarded message contained a lot of "data" like sender, time, date, etc.

I haven't tried doing it from the Outbox Folder yet

Guest jabez

To All Interested in the Smart Amazing Phone! :)

I just got my second unit last weekend at the Addict Mobile Launch here in Subic. I think the Addict Mobile plan is better than the Smart Gold Plan.

For example:

The Gold Plan 1335 gives you 235 minutes on free calls and 390 free text messages. The Addict Mobile Plan gives you 210 free minutes AND 550 pesos worth of consummables for SMS, MMS, and GPRS downloads. AND YOU GET THE AMAZING PHONE FREE WITH THIS PLAN.

But sorry ... the promo period was over last Saturday ... including the free jetski and go-kart rides we all enjoyed.

It was "raining" Tanagers here in Subic last weekend. Which is why I know the "Pinoy" area Paul just created is a big help ... expect the rush of new Pinoy members in this forum

Mabuhay!

Guest ppcsurfr
To All Interested in the Smart Amazing Phone!  :(  

I just got my second unit last weekend at the Addict Mobile Launch here in Subic. I think the Addict Mobile plan is better than the Smart Gold Plan.  

For example:

The Gold Plan 1335 gives you 235 minutes on free calls and 390 free text messages. The Addict Mobile Plan gives you 210 free minutes AND 550 pesos worth of consummables for SMS, MMS, and GPRS downloads.  AND YOU GET THE AMAZING PHONE FREE WITH THIS PLAN.

But sorry ... the promo period was over last Saturday ... including the free jetski and go-kart rides we all enjoyed.

It was "raining" Tanagers here in Subic last weekend. Which is why I know the "Pinoy" area Paul just created is a big help ... expect the rush of new Pinoy members in this forum

Mabuhay!

Well, the old SMART Gold Consumable plans are equally as good. I've had mine for several years and it works the same way... BTW, mine is plan 3000... which most of it gets used for data calls anyway. :)

Mabuhay ~ ppcsurfr

Carlo Ma. Guerrero

President

PinoyPocketPC

Mobile Computing for Filipinos

URL: http://www.pinoypocketpc.com

Mobile Phone: +63 (918) 9020700

Mobile Fax: +63 (918) 9320350

Email: [email protected]

Choose the power of Windows.

Choose the Pocket PC.

Guest ppcsurfr
My KaSPAMyans (countrymen)

Since SMART isn't giving us so much information about the SmartPhone, I tried digging up some info about it.

It is a Windows-powered device that enables the user to download softwares from different websites and developers.

With the SmartPhone, you have to "re-orient" your perspective that you don't just have a "phone" but you have in a "mobile computer" in your hands.

*The tanager (tán-ne-jer) is a songbird from North and South America.

And you should have seen it at http://www.ppcw.net/index.php?itemid=990 as early as February 28...

Mabuhay ~

Carlo Ma. Guerrero (ppcsurfr)

President

PinoyPocketPC

Mobile Computing for Filipinos

URL: http://www.pinoypocketpc.com

Mobile Phone: +63 (918) 9020700

Mobile Fax: +63 (918) 9320350

Email: [email protected]

Choose the power of Windows.

Choose the Pocket PC.

Guest leemrvnt

brdavidjr, i did experience something similar what i did was go to menu, select show folders, open sent items, you'll find a copy of your SMS here...you'll have to edit a few things though. Not sure if its the best solution, but at least you don't have to start from scratchbrdavidjr, i did experience something similar what i did was go to menu, select show folders, open sent items, you'll find a copy of your SMS here...you'll have to edit a few things though. Not sure if its the best solution, but at least you don't have to start from scratchbrdavidjr, i did experience something similar what i did was go to menu, select show folders, open sent items, you'll find a copy of your SMS here...you'll have to edit a few things though. Not sure if its the best solution, but at least you don't have to start from scratchbrdavidjr, i did experience something similar what i did was go to menu, select show folders, open sent items, you'll find a copy of your SMS here...you'll have to edit a few things though. Not sure if its the best solution, but at least you don't have to start from scratch

Guest jabez
And you should have seen it at http://www.ppcw.net/index.php?itemid=990 as early as February 28...

You're right, I should have had this information in February or at least a few days after I got my unit.

Problem is, SMART never told me about this and your sites. Maybe they didn't want to blow their cover that the phone is internationally known as the Tanager. "SMART AMAZING PHONE" nga naman. The local name works well for them. After all, who would use a Globe SMARTPHONE? he he he ...

All I was told is to read the manual (which didn't help a lot). The funny thing is that I had the unit in my hand ... I visited the Smart website ... the information said ... "The Amazing Phone to be launched soon" ... ha ha ha ... How updated can a website be???

Thanks to this forum, I now have access to information on the Tanager.

Now I have made it my mission to inform all Tanager owners about this forum. I am preparing a business card with the web address of this site. Would you like me to include your site too? I am doing this so I could spare other people from the the feeling I had the first two weeks I had the Tanager - feeling STUPID!

Mabuhay!

Guest jabez

Hi people!

I'm asking a friend to buy a 256M Secure Digital Card for me in the States. Price range on BestBuy, Circuit City, and Compusa sites is from $80-$100.

Any brands to avoid?

Any specs to consider? Are there hi-speed variants of these cards?

I'd appreciate your help.

Mabuhay!!!