Windows Powered Smartphone Dev Kit: Winners!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

Congratulations Pisquee, who won the normal member competition, and Monolithix :roll:, who won the Plus prize!

Well done guys...

And here's to the next competition! :)

P

-------------------------------------------------

About the Windows Powered SmartPhone Developer Kit:

The new Microsoft® Windows® Powered Smartphone Developer Kit includes a pre-commercial device and everything you need to build, test and deploy mobile applications for Smartphone (plus bonus developer tools and "gear"). It is available to order now here!

Once your application is developed, you can promote it to mobile operators worldwide through Microsoft’s Mobile2Market program (www.microsoft.com/mobile/mobile2market)

You know how we love to give things away on MoDaCo SmartPhone, and this is no different!

Microsoft have kindly donated 2 developer kits to be given away!

To enter this competition, you send the answers to the 3 questions below to [email protected] before close of play on 18th May 2003.

1 developer kit will be available to ALL entrants

1 developer kit will be available EXCLUSIVELY to MoDaCo Plus members, click here for details.

OK, so here are the questions:

1. What is the minimum version of ActiveSync required for Smartphone?

2. What is the screen resolution (in pixels) of a Smartphone?

3. What is your forum username?

Good luck!

P

PS They really exist... Look!

PPS This is a *developer* kit, and hence the handset is recommended for DEVELOPERS. :(

PPPS You may only enter this contest on the provision that doing so does not violate the relevant laws set out in your country of residence!

DevKits.gif

Guest Vector

I'm not going to enter this one since i'm not a developer :) , i'll give the proper developers more of a chance to win :wink:

GOOD LUCK !!!

Guest Gorskar

I'm not a developer either, but I'll still enter (I don't see any restrictions on having to be a developer to enter) - if I win one I'll certainly look into learning how to develop for the smartphone - thats what summers are for! :)

Guest Vector

On second thoughts, i will enter the competition, i am really interested in developing for the smartphone, and if i win this it will give me the incentive to learn how to develop, and as Gorskar said, it'll give me something to do in the summer :wink:

Guest Robert Levy (MS)
Just wondering, is the phone functional?

Yes, but you'll need to go to a GSM carrier and sign up for service.

Guest siu99spj

Actually, if I calm down a,little, theres lots of reasons I'm entering. The main one, if I write really buggy code, I'm NOT going to destroy my phone and lose all my stuff :) . Secondly, just look at the joypad, it means I've actually got a chance at controlling something :mrgreen:. Thirdly it'd be cool just to win :(

Guest Gorskar

I'm surprised there have been so few replies to this topic sofar - It's an excellent prize after all! Look at all that stuff you get in the box :) Big thanks to microsoft for making this prize available.

Given that its a developer phone, winning it should be a good incentive to learn some smartphone programming skills :D

I'm extremely impressed with the competitions that appear on this site - although I've not won anything yet I'm hoping this time will be different... well, you never know do you? I count 50 modaco+ members, so the chances are a lot better for me this time :(

Guest Brody

another cool competition, i'll be entering! is it possible to win both kits as i am a plus member :)

ps thanks again to Paul and Microsoft!

Guest keigotl

Yeah, I agree, the chances are better this time to win, but I was thinking about it, for $499, it is pretty cheap to get the phone just to replace the SPV if you really think about it, right? Given that the phone is a GSM fully functional, uncert, unlocked and all that. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Guest Paul [MVP]

Gorskar - Thanks for your kind words :)

Brody - it is possible a plus member could win both!

Keigotl - I think $499 is a pretty good deal too. The phone isn't bad, and is usable as an everyday device, and does make a great development platform. I think having the development platform the same as is used internally in Microsoft is a great plus, particularly if you need help with issues etc.

Looking into the future, I have no idea what MS's plans are with regards to OS upgrades, but i'd be VERY surprised if the reference platform didn't get the upgraded OS pretty quickly!

P

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

I've been broke! Paying off my damn 150 quid deposit to Orange to take out my contract, and trying to keep some spare change for my womans b'day andd spending money on holiday, heh. Money's a bitch ;p

Anyway....MoDaCo+, i will, eventually :)

Maybe a stupid question?

Question 1:

Do you mean the minimum version in general to sync with the SPV or do you mean what version you need for development?

Guest siu99spj
Question 1:  

Do you mean the minimum version in general to sync with the SPV or do you mean what version you need for development?

Suppose I should ask whether internal builds at MS count as they'll be significantly harder to find.

Guest Paul [MVP]
Suppose I should ask whether internal builds at MS count as they'll be significantly harder to find.

The 'official' minimum version... :)

P