PacMan Classic graphics UPDATED 19/03/03

Guest Deemon

Guest Deemon

Ive started to produce the graphics for classic Pacman in a hope that some bored programmer will take up the challenge..

Im trying to keep it as faithful to the original as possible.

Got all the frames of animation done for pacman, the ghosts, the eyes(eaten ghosts), powerpills. Just working on bits like pacmans death anim, the scores fro eating the blue ghosts and fruits etc...

Have only made one map so far but will make more if anyone wants to take on the project.

heres a mock up ive put together with the sprites.

quite pleased with how it looks on such a small screen.

Love to hear your thoughts...

MOCKUP01.jpg

Guest Deemon

sure...ill try and finish it all today and put them up on this topic for down load...

not sure how people will require the sprites to be presented.. at the minute i have a single page and all the sprites are 12x12. Will you want them all as individual 16x16 tga files with alpha channels ? or should i just leave em as is and let you sort it out...?!?

Guest midnight

ah, so youguys are doing pacman eh?

ok, you do the original and we'll do an enhanced different version, already started work on it a few days ago, if anyone wants to see mockup gfx i can arrange it

Guest Charlie Mouse

Cool! A couple of days ago and no-one seemed even vaguely interested in Pacman and now everyones gone Pac-crazy!

Midnight - Post the mockups of the enhanced version, would be interested to have a look.

I would offer help but I am not a programmer and it looks like all the graphics are sorted so all I can offer is testing it for you (played the original arcade version shed-loads whilst snowboarding in Canada last month).

Keep up all the good work!

Guest midnight

ok, here goes....

bubandbob.jpg

basically pacman with bubble bobble gfx, the mockup gfx are just done quickly, the sprites look ok, but i aint happy with the maze gfx, so the proper version will have much better ones. the level will scrollaround, this gives us more scope in enhancing the game a lot, also have lots of ideas for power ups etc. two player mode available (alternate play, not simultaneous) and many different levels (not just the one level like the original pacman). i also have a guy working on the music, including a remix of the orginal buble bobble tune.

Guest Croccy22

I would say it is gonna be rotated 90degrees. Think it will make the graphics a whole lot better.

I have decided to go with an enhanced version of pacman rather than the original for one. If anyone takes up the project of the original then get in touch as we could swap ideas.

This is of course based on the hope that I can actually get my head around it. It's amazing how complicated pacman is when your not playing it but trying the porgram it instead.

Anyway as I have said before, it prob won't get started for a week or so coz I really must get a release out of smartanoid first, even if it is not perfect.

Matt

Guest midnight

yup, rotated, makes better use of the screen, with the original it doesnt matter because the actual playfield is practically square, but becuse our version is scrolling it works better rotated

Guest Richie M
yup, rotated, makes better use of the screen, with the original it doesnt matter because the actual playfield is practically square, but becuse our version is scrolling it works better rotated

Thats excelent m8, only problem i envisage tho is left or right handed :? controls

Guest Richie M

Soz Deemon, I'm as excited by your version as well (not as much as your Avatar excites me tho :) )

I know its early days but any progress people?

Guest fraser

Yeah folks, work together on this. There's no sense in releasing two versions...think of all that wasted SDIO space out there when everyone has to install two sets of binaries! :wink:

Yeah folks, work together on this. There's no sense in releasing two versions...think of all that wasted SDIO space out there when everyone has to install two sets of binaries!  :wink:

Unless both are combined into one app :wink:

The AI for the ghosts would be similar, as would the controls, just the mapping and the graphics and a few other bits.

Guest midnight

oh, i dont know, the games will actually be completely different, the original is as it is, a very close version of the original pacman, the enhanced version is not, it will have quite a lot of new extras, and will play 'similar' but not the same, so i think the two versions can live together as stand alone games :wink: