SMS tips

Guest mapaman

Guest mapaman

Does anybody have any tips on how to make it easy to type in SMS messages? I especially miss being able to "insert" names and/or numbers from my phonebook into an SMS message...

Guest ppcsurfr
Does anybody have any tips on how to make it easy to type in SMS messages? I especially miss being able to "insert" names and/or numbers from my phonebook into an SMS message...

Uhhh, what do you mean?

Can you explain it more clearly?

I'm sure a lot of the long time users here have figured out different ways of handling text messages on the Smartphone.

Mabuhay ~ Carlo (ppcsurfr)

president

Guest jbyte
any1 know how to make this characters on our phone? "Ü", "Ö", "ü",etc. having hard time doing smileys....

Although tanager is capable of displaying them, I cannot find a way to display them during creation of message. There might be a key combination for those. I also have in mind that it probably depends on the current character set that you use. The out-of-the-box unit has only one font installed and is the default. I have not tried installing another font (e.g. Arial, Times New Roman. I don't know if it's possible for now? :? ) on my SPV. Anyway, I just play around with my tanager hoping that someday I can get those characters.

cheers! :)

Guest ppcsurfr

There are more than one way of sending to multiple recipients.

1. From the To: field, press te action buton/joystick, this will give you a beep and show you your contacts. type in their name and select each one of them. After entering each name you will have to press the action button/joystick to go back to the contacts list.

2. In the New Message window, you can hit soft key 2 to pull up the menu. the first option there is the Add To: option. Select this and it will bring you to your contact list so that you can select your contacts. Repeat as necessary.

President

Guest mapaman

Can you explain it more clearly?

quote]

Sure...

Here's some things I miss from the Nokia texting days...

1. Let's say Carol is asking me for the cellphone number of Juan Cruz. How do I reply to this request using the Smartphone? Is there a way I can send a vCard? Or, if I reply to Carol with an SMS, is there a way to insert the name and number of Juan Cruz inside the SMS message?

2. Let's say I got an SMS from "+639174445555". Now I want to reply to this sender with portions of the original message. Is there a way to do that? I think doing a "forward" is one way to do it, but then I lose the sender's original number in the "to:" field.

Guest mapaman
any1 know how to make this characters on our phone? "Ü", "Ö", "ü",etc. having hard time doing smileys....

sure! one option is to use your "insert text" menu to store smileys and then insert into your message as needed. e.g. you can store 8-) or 8-(

another way i've discovered is if you're using the T9 method, press the "1" key 3 or 4 times, and there you go! you have a smiley...

Guest mapaman
mapaman, I guess he was asking about the smiley that looks like a letter "u" with two dots... Ü....not this :)

yes, i found a way to do this... Ü

here's how:

1. install Remote Display on your phone (instructions here)

2. get someone to send the Ü to your inbox

(if you text me at 0920-920-1071, I can send it to you)

3. run Remote Display, then bring up the message with the Ü onscreen

4. highlight the Ü by using the "shift" key (just like selecting it in MS-Word)

5. do a "copy" (control-C)

6. exit to the inbox, then do "menu"-"options"

7. select "predefined text"

8. select one of the slots to store your smiley in

9. erase the contents of the slot, then do a "paste" (control-V)

10. press "done" and that's it! you have a Ü to insert into your SMSs

Guest ppcsurfr

Has anyone tried using a differnet language first and save the smileys in "My Text" thing and shift it back to English... well, that can be another solution...

President

Guest Gecko

yes, i found a way to do this... Ü

here's how:

1. install Remote Display on your phone (instructions here)

2. get someone to send the Ü to your inbox

(if you text me at 0920-920-1071, I can send it to you)

3. run Remote Display, then bring up the message with the Ü onscreen

4. highlight the Ü by using the "shift" key (just like selecting it in MS-Word)

5. do a "copy" (control-C)

6. exit to the inbox, then do "menu"-"options"

7. select "predefined text"

8. select one of the slots to store your smiley in

9. erase the contents of the slot, then do a "paste" (control-V)

10. press "done" and that's it! you have a Ü to insert into your SMSs

Where do you get this Remote Display thingy?

Guest dinoalbert

@mapaman

how did you do step #4. highlight the Ü by using the "shift" key (just like selecting it in MS-Word) ?

You mean to say I press and hold the Shift key, and highlight the desired text using the mouse pointer on the PC screen. I cant seem to do that? I cant find the cursor on the screen?

Guest dinoalbert

Oh I got it now... before you can do step 4, you need to "forward" the sms with the smiley so that a cursor will appear :)

thanks again...

• 2 months later...

just update to qtek 1.50.9.1

ü and other characters are there. There is also an sms character counter.

However, you cannot insert phone name details in sms, unlike in nokia.

Just beware, phonebooks, messages, tasks, and appointments will be erased (so back-up via active sync)

• 4 weeks later...

Is there a counter in our SPVs that can track the no. of messages sent much like that with the Sony Ericsson T68i message counter? :roll: I have a post paid account kasi and am having difficulty in tracking the quantity of SMS I send each month.

Lagi kasi akong nag-oover sa budget... hehehe. ;)

I have a QTEK rom but I'm not sure if this has one... or hindi ko lang kaya makita? :roll:

Thanks. :)

Guest spv_dman
Is there a counter in our SPVs that can track the no. of messages sent much like that with the Sony Ericsson T68i message counter?   :roll:  I have a post paid account kasi and am having difficulty in  tracking the quantity of SMS I send each month.

Lagi kasi akong nag-oover sa budget... hehehe. ;)  

I have a QTEK rom but I'm not sure if this has one... or hindi ko lang kaya makita?  :roll:  

Thanks.  :)

There's none that I know of. However, messages are automatically saved in the sent items folder. If you're that patient, you can just manually count those :D