Photo

What antivirus/firewall?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you run Antivirus/firewall (10 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you run Antivirus/firewall

1. YES--antivirus (3 votes [6.82%])

Percentage of vote: 6.82%

2. YES--Firewall (3 votes [6.82%])

3. YES--Both (26 votes [59.09%])

Percentage of vote: 59.09%

4. YES-Router as firewall--no antivirus (3 votes [6.82%])

5. YES-Router as firewall--Antivirus (9 votes [20.45%])

Percentage of vote: 20.45%

6. no (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Chris b.a.r.f.

Chris b.a.r.f.

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • Devices:HTC Touch HD, LG KU990
I'm actually using NAV2002 - and I'm reasonably happy with it. An antivirus package is only as good as the signature updates that are released for it and the regularity of those releases - it's here that Norton is better than some of the free scanners, AVG which davidrm's already mentioned and AntiVir - can be found at www.hbedv.com; I've used both of these and both were OK but updates sometimes took a week or so to appear whereas NAV's were there same/next day as a virus alarm was released. Kaspersky has a very good rep. I've only tried the trial version but they're also very good re. updates.

Welcome to the world of The Squirrel of Destruction

ricmoo2003

ricmoo2003

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Gadgets & Beer
  • Devices:i-mate JasJar
I have a 2meg ADSL a server & 2 PC's. I use the standard BT Router, that goes into a Sonicwall Tele3 Firewall with built in virus protection, then on the server i have Norton Antivirus Corporate edition, on the clients i have norton Corporate Client & Norton Antivirus 2003 Pro & the XP firewall is turned on....!

Am I paranoid?

Yet still i get about 5 attacks a day, that the sonicwall reports to me.
IMHO you can never be too careful when it comes to PC security, also make sure all your PC are up to date with latest patches etc......

Chris b.a.r.f.

Chris b.a.r.f.

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • Devices:HTC Touch HD, LG KU990
ricmoo2003: "Attacks"? That's just what your firewall calls them, I suspect. Portscans, NetBIOS queries, multiple ICMP, etc. etc. Most of these are harmless, or at the very most a preamble to a real "attack". Of course you still get "attacks" despite all your preventative security measures - they will keep coming whatever you have installed.....

You are too paranoid, but it's also understandable as there's so much bullshit circulating re. security. Hope the following will help folks cut through this crap and see things a little more clearly.

If your router supports NAT (as most do nowadays) then that's basically all the protection you need, although you can look forward to *hours* setting up your NAT-tables, port forwarding and so on. Worth it though. It's sometimes useful to have a software firewall in any case, just so you know what's happening, but with a properly configured router/hardware firewall such as your setup a software firewall is unnecessary and, occasionally, counterproductive.

Similarly, a single virus scanner is generally enough - by all means have two *different* scanners installed on your system, but not two Norton scanners - as you have - which use the same basic engine/sigs anyway (see: www.sarc.com for a little more info). Use Norton and another firm's scanner, and only have one of them set to autoscan/memory resident; the "other" scanner can be used to secondary-scan downloaded files/email and so-on. Different firms' engines are better at detecting different types of virus and, likewise, some have better heuristic detection than others. Your setup is undoubtedly safe, but it's just not worth the cost in system overheads - and we're talking one hell of a lot of processor power/RAM to keep two virus scanners memory resident and actively scanning all the time.

Having said all this, one of the safest (and cheapest) ways to be safe on the net is to buy a cruddy old 386/486, stick Linux on it and use that as your firewall - put Apache on it and you have a nifty, well protected FTP server as well :)

I'm speaking here as a bloke who's had a great deal of experience of corporate security, not just a know-it-all tosser, so cut me a bit of slack if I sound a right snobby git - it's not the intention :(

Welcome to the world of The Squirrel of Destruction

MECX

MECX

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts
  • Interests:Phones Woman Cars etc
Thanks for all your help chris(and others)---ended up with blackice firewall and norton 2003 antivirus--is much better than 2002.

im glad i did it as well ifound 2 virus and 8 infected files..

virus were Win32.pifi
win32.handy or sumthin like that

the blackice firewall comes up with loads of port scan attempts on strange ports and even i denial of service attack---made me remember i was DMZ hosting on the router (doh)
im happy now :) :(

Lifes nothin but bitches and money
O:) :-# :-({|= =D> :D/ #-o =p~ :-s =; :^o [-X [-o< :-$ 8-[ :-& :cheesy: [-( :-k ](*,) :-" :arrow: :arrowd: :arrowl: :arrowu: :D :?: 8) :cry: :shock: :evil: :exclaim: :frown: :idea: :lol: :x :mrgreen: :| :??: :P :oops: :roll: :( :) :o :twisted: ;)

WillEastbury

WillEastbury

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Football, Beer, Cool stuff!

so are the free ones just as good as the ones you pay for then?
and does anyone know if my router and its port blocking is good enough?

Home
-------
Firewall : Kerio Personal Firewall (Free)
Anti-Virus : AntiVir Personal Edition (Free) AntiVir Personal Edition (Free)

Work
------
Firewall (Internet Route1) : Cisco PIX
Firewall (Internet Route2 / Wireless) : SonicWALL Pro 100
Firewall (Wireless Clients) : Windows XP Built-in Internet Connection Firewall
Anti Virus : McAfee VirusScan

These all seem cool in use and work fine.

Nokia RinGo > Some motorola brick > Nokia 5110 x 4 (Some damage done there) > Nokia 6110 > Nokia 6210 > Nokia 6310i > Orange SPV (1.6 UK Update) > LG 7100 > Orange SPV E200 & Orange SPV M1000

JuneBugg

JuneBugg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I use avast antivirus and its totally free. And also I haven’t got any problems with it and I prefer you to use it for good result.

This page describes the terms of On Page Optimisation.

Swissrobins

Swissrobins

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I use Kaspersky anti-virus and firewall both…. So far I have never faced for any issues.

Choose a direct flight to Sri Lanka from a flexible range of direct flights to Colombo

maniac_mouse

maniac_mouse

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Devices:Galaxy Note 2, Tab3 10.1
Avast and comodo for me, works a treat. I also use a locked hosts file and firefox with adblock,noscript and ghostery plugins as a defence against drive-by downloads, xss and other browser based nastys.
On the phone its a combination of avast and Lbe security master (the full fat translated chinese version from xda rather than the more cut down english one available in the play store). Again, those 2 have never let me down security wise.

Device History: Samsung Tocco Lite (retired) , Blackberry Storm 2 (retired), Zte Blade (sold), Htc Desire (retired), Samsung Galaxy Note (retired), Kindle Fire HD 7` (retired), Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (current), Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1' (current)

monAcoutt5e

monAcoutt5e

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Like the majority of users, I'm behind a home router and use avast! as my antivirus. I have not used a 3rd party firewall since I was on XP SP2. :)

Tinyhut

Tinyhut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I run both… prevention is better than cure. ;)

Sameday Loans have become more popular in recent years

venus15

venus15

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Nice post. I use Kaspersky antivirus and i have no problem withit.

brightfuture

brightfuture

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Devices:Nokia
I'm using Avast 2013 anti-virus free.

angywill

angywill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts