The Letter Confirms It!!!!!

Guest mattbrown

OK... It's get better folks!  I too received a letter advising me that my promotion pack would expire on the 9th June 2003.  I phoned up on the 9th and asked to be transferred to a 7mb Bundle and reduce my Talk Plan to 30 (was 120).   Get my new billed dated 10th June and guess what it says:

Talk Time 30 : 10 Jun - 09 Jul 12.77

GPRS Bundle 7 : 10 Jun - 09 Jul 12.77

SPV Promotion Pack : 10 Jun - 09 Jul 5.11

Cool... So now I'm paying for a GPRS Bundle AND the SPV Promotion Pack.... What a cock up!!!  :twisted:  

I think an irrate call to Orange is called for!!!!!!!

I had a similar thing when I bought my SPV. Had a Nokia, and changed my GPRS package which would kick-in on my next bill date. Then decided to get an SPV, which canceled my existing GPRS package and replaced it with the £6 deal.

What they didn't do is remove the upcoming GPRS change, so with my first bill I was on a £6 unlimited packaged and a £4 capped one.

After a bit of arguing they agreed to credit me the extra £4 on my next bill - but it took a while and I was forced to utter the magic words "can I speak to a supervisior please?".

Guest Big Ron - No Longer a Mem

Two points. First is why are people ringing 156 (tech support) for BILLING enquiries (which was 152 last time I looked)? And the "Dec 9999" is simply a feature of Orange's geriatric billing software - written as a "3-month stopgap" when Orange had 1m customers (they've now got>17m) It just means that "no stop time has been set." Your account is for one year maximum for VOICE calls... and it'll show a "Dec 9999" end date too. Dec 9999 is just a kind of "Placeholder" - there has to be SOME value in the field, and the field has to be there for records continuity: if (for example) you switch talkplans, the field indicates exactly WHEN the changeover (and charges changeover) will take place/did take place. It's as simple as that. If a query arises later, it's possible to pull down your account details, and SEE when one plan ended and the other began. The software's smart enough to refuse to accept overlapping dates. If you could see your account on screen, you'd probably be surprised at how complex it looks - because the billing records also provide other important data (like "this phone is MMS capable") A typical SPV owner is signed up for a talk plan, "general GPRS capability" (without which the little "G" won't appear on your phone) MMS, SMS or MMS "bundles" , the SPV Promo pack, and possibly the GPRS WAP Access pack - AND a secondary pack that's added automatically refunding the £4 a month WAP charge - with an "end date" of three months ahead of the date you started. It's not the easiest or most inuutive software I've ever encountered - it relies on "nested menus", and knowing WHICH menu the thing you want is hidden inside comes only with experience. A few bugs too - like it used to insist that the SPV couldn't handle MMS, and threw up an error message that had to be over-ridden. Not exactly amazing, given the software that setting up the SPV in the early days produced quite a high proportion of cockups. And if you DO make a mistake, you're locked out of the account until the server resets, which could be several hours later. (So, don't make mistakes near the end of the shift - by the time you can put them right, you'll be at home watching the telly.) The software is supposedly "about to be replaced". But they've been saying THAT since it first arrived.

Two points. First is why are people ringing 156 (tech support) for BILLING enquiries (which was 152 last time I looked)?

And the "Dec 9999" is simply a feature of Orange's geriatric billing software - written as a "3-month stopgap" when Orange had 1m customers (they've now got>17m) It just means that "no stop time has been set." Your account is for one year maximum for VOICE calls... and it'll show a "Dec 9999" end date too. Dec 9999 is just a kind of "Placeholder" - there has to be SOME value in the field, and the field has to be there for records continuity: if (for example) you switch talkplans, the field indicates exactly WHEN the changeover (and charges changeover) will take place/did take place. It's as simple as that. If a query arises later, it's possible to pull down your account details, and SEE when one plan ended and the other began. The software's smart enough to refuse to accept overlapping dates.

If you could see your account on screen, you'd probably be surprised at how complex it looks - because the billing records also provide other important data (like "this phone is MMS capable") A typical SPV owner is signed up for a talk plan, "general GPRS capability" (without which the little "G" won't appear on your phone) MMS, SMS or MMS "bundles" , the SPV Promo pack, and possibly the GPRS WAP Access pack - AND a secondary pack that's added automatically refunding the £4 a month WAP charge - with an "end date" of three months ahead of the date you started. It's not the easiest or most intuitive software I've ever encountered - it relies on "nested menus", and knowing WHICH menu the thing you want is hidden inside comes only with experience. A few bugs too - like it used to insist that the SPV couldn't handle MMS, and threw up an error message that had to be over-ridden. Not exactly amazing, given the software that setting up the SPV in the early days produced quite a high proportion of cockups. And if you DO make a mistake, you're locked out of the account until the server resets, which could be several hours later. (So, don't make mistakes near the end of the shift - by the time you can put them right, you'll be at home watching the telly.) The software is supposedly "about to be replaced". But they've been saying THAT since it first arrived.

ANY CSR can give you a refund of up to £30 without reference to a supervisor, but remembering HOW to is something you're more likely to encounter if you phone the correct department (billing) who do it all the time, than tech support who do it on rare occasions. :wink:

I'm not surprised that cock-ups like these happen, mine probably wouldn't have happened if I hadn't already requested a GPRS bundle change for my previous phone before deciding to buy the SPV. I imagine when the SPV bundle was placed on the account the CSR that did it could see the existing GPRS package (which they canceled), but couldn't see the new bundle that would be started on my next bill date.

It was sorted, but I don't think that the CSR I spoke to was confident in the authority that she had and just wanted to cover her back before agreeing to the refund. (Incedently this call was via 150 rather than through 156).

Also - as to the Dec 9999 thing, as Ron said clearly all that means is that no cut off date has been set, it doesn't stop Orange from setting one sometime soon.

The question is when will they?

Guest barncourt

OK. Following my recent posting where Orange managed to charge me for a GPRS Bundle AND SPV Promotion Pack, I phoned Orange to complain. After several chats with the CSR, they agreed to take me off the GPRS Bundle and leave me on the SPV Promotion Pack. The best information that I could gain from the rep was that the pack is ending, but NO DATE FOR TERMINATION HAS BEEN AGREED ! Anyway, the CSR agreed with me that I would be better to stay on the pack until forced off and suggested I check my bill next month to see if it is extended further. So now I have the pack until 10th Jul when I was advised by letter that it would terminate on the 9th Jun. :lol:

Don't ya just love it!

Guest clivewilliams

Yes, I'm still on the promotion pack too - got my bill today - was rather surprised to see I wasn't on GPRS 2MB (yes, I had the letter) and still being billed for the £6 promotion pack. Phoned 152 - was told that she's just got a memo - the promotion pack has been extended a further month. Suits me fine.

Clive

Guest mike-oh

According to my online bill i too have £6 for unlimited gprs till 19th July. Will this be safe then? i'm going away for 6 weeks this weekend, don't want to be coming back to a huge bill!

According to my online bill i too have £6 for unlimited gprs till 19th July. Will this be safe then? i'm going away for 6 weeks this weekend, don't want to be coming back to a huge bill!

Sounds like you've got it in writing. What more could you need? If there IS a big bill, you're in a position to demand (rather than plead for!) a refund in full. :wink:

Sounds like you've got it in writing. What more could you need? If there IS a big bill, you're in a position to demand (rather than plead for!) a refund in full. :wink:

Absolutely - you pay for GPRS bundles in advance, so you have already paid for unlimited GPRS for the coming month. They can't "undo" that one!

Guest fraser

I stayed with my previous carrier for four years before switching to Orange and the SPV. If they kept a similar uncapped deal, I can see me staying with them for a while. Hint hint.

Guest superkingdave

oh man howcome everyone else is so lucky, i got the letter saying that i had been moved from june bill date, got my june bill and not only had they cahnged me, they had also back dated it to the middle of may!

Guest mjc1975

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news guys but I just had it confirmed by my very reliable source within Orange that the promotional pack will be ending for ALL people on the next billing date. The mix-up this month came with the systems not being able to migrate everyone in one go so it was staggered over 2 months. This has infuriated the revenue assurance dept who are making sure that the tariff is changed for everyone!!

Nice while it lasted...

Guest Paul [MVP]

Hmmm, interesting...

I heard that there may be a new offer for E-100 purchasers, that would be extended to include existing SPV owners.

Only time will tell :)

I still think Orange are in grave danger of a competitor network launching flat rate GPRS cheap, and us lot all moving over and taking our smartphones with us!

P

Guest Firaas
"]I still think Orange are in grave danger of a competitor network launching flat rate GPRS cheap, and us lot all moving over and taking our smartphones with us!

You mean like T-Mobile has just done? :)

Guest ziggys101

:shock:

Did everyone else recieve the letter because I have not been sent one so where do I stand. Do they have to inform me before changing my tarrif off the £6 deal?

Guest drblow

8)

Got me bill today - still on the promo pack til this time next month!!

Only thing is, in preparation for the impending charges (if they ever happen!) I only used 2.7 MB last month!!!

Time to clock up some MB methinks! :)

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Got my July bill last night. I am now on the £4/2meg package :)

Time to get a copy of GPRS counter methinks...

I got my bill as well and had been moved to the £4/2 meg package - but I hadn't recieved a letter.

So I phoned Orange to complain, saying that I wanted to be on the £8/4 meg package, and (cheekily) asked what they could do to appologise for not informing me of the impending change (even though I knew it was coming!).

The lovely lady appologised, and said she would find out what happened, and said that she would put me on the 4 meg package from next month. She phoned back 10 mins later and said that letters were sent out, and that she would credit me one month's GPRS bundle charge (£8) for next month as "a geasture of goodwill".

It was probably Royal Mail missing the letter, but at least Orange (or this CS rep anyway) were quick to appologise. It made me feel a bit guilty phoning up and giving her grief!

Guest fozzie

Don't forget the Free Mobile Email GPRS Promotion - you won't need the Counter for another 3 months :) Who knows, it may even be provided free by Orange by then!