Ooh dear - we've got a reputation!

Guest HelloDave

Guest HelloDave

Are we really this mean? :oops:

http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/showthread....=&postid=243294 (towards the bottom of the page)

I started using a smartphone forum a while ago, but gave up - the second anyone posted something off topic, slightly "naughty", or the second the conversation drifted even slightly off the topic in question, half the members on the forum were all over you like a rash, the topic was locked and deleted (regardless of what valuable information was contained within), and in general it felt like everyone was out to get "one up" on everyone else.

I can't remember what this guy's username is on MoDaCo (just curious who he is - don't think he's pteale though!) - but that Nintendo quote in the sig rings a bell...

I don't think we're that mean to newbies, providing they post in the right place and...ah, maybe I answered my own question! :) Still a tad harsh though!

Guest Syvwlch

Let us be judged by our acts in H&A... and our flexibility in the face of criticism (not abuse) during the "SEARCH!" debate.

Benny is intitled to his opinion, and the commiseration of those who actually believe him in his new home at Talkaudio.

To each his own... but to fit in a group, there is a minimum of compromise necessary.

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

I can't actually remember the last thread i deleted, and i think i've only removed maybe 1 or 2 since becomming a mod...

To be honest, i'm not that bothered about repeat threads unless its a clone of a thread still on the first page of the forum. If its a question and already covered i, and the other mods, will move the thread to H&A and offer links to the threads covering it.

As for users jumping on newbies, it isnt that bad a problem is it? I can't say i've noticed it much recently, and when it comes down to it its not the normal users locking and deleting threads, its only the mods, and i haven't noticed that happening all that much either heh.

I think we have somehow got a reputation as being hostile to newbies, most likely from a few disgruntled users (for whatever reason) bad mouthing us on other forums and the NG's. In the end threres not much else we as moderators can to stop this or the users being hostile, other than to try lead by example and offer gently warn other users about being impatient with newbies.

It's up to the user base we have to turn this around :)

Guest HelloDave

I think we did have a stage of one word "SEARCH" type posts, which don't really help newbies, but that doesn't happen much now, and most people post a link with a polite suggestion to try a search in future, which I think is fine. No point in having 35 "caller2picture" threads (yes, my pet hate again!) :) Certainly in H&A I think most users are helpful, and don't "jump" on anyone!

Ironically, if you read the forum rules for TalkAudio they seem stricter than MoDaCo on things like repeat threads, although I don't know how they're enforced!

Guest ClintEastman

THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN COVERED!!! PLEASE SEARCH BEFORE POSTING :wink:

We are not that bad here, and at the end of the day that’s his opinion and he’s entitled to it. It doesn’t mean I have to agree with it.

... and when it comes down to it its not the normal users locking and deleting threads, its only the mods, and i haven't noticed that happening all that much either heh.

Yeah, it's been a slow day today - I've only notice 3 locked threads and 5 moved ones today...

Depends whether you think of that as "much"

Barry

Guest abamara

I am still amazed at Mono's speed with which he comes down! ;-) And in his wake what does he leave behind? "Topic locked"! :-) It does show diligence which I think is a commendable trait. Just wondering how long this topic's going to last though b4....

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Threads are moved to appropriate forums as they need to be, and i personally haven't locked a topic today.

I can't speak for any of the other mods though...

edit- i only see 2 locked threads, one a blatant cross post and the other asking a question covered in a sticky in this very forum?

I can't comment on the moved threads as i can;t tell which have been affected...

Guest Palindrome

Well, as a newbie, 18 posts to date, I believe, I certainly don't feel that:

"....the second anyone posted something off topic, slightly "naughty", or the second the conversation drifted even slightly off the topic in question, half the members on the forum were all over you like a rash"

or

"....everyone was out to get "one up" on everyone else."

I have only recieved helpfull and correct advice on my posts and been made to feel welcome. I'm sure this forum is not whiter than white but I'm happy with it (and I can certainly appricate the fact that forum housekeeping has to be done) and will continue to use it.

Guest abamara

Frankly I don't know where I'd have been without the support of you guys! A big thank you to ALL of you!

Still got to decert yet tho! :)

Guest yatpeak

Irrelevant, but look at that poll on the top, fourth option, more sponsors but less restrictive posting...what sort of choice is that, it's just a con.

Wyatt