Emulater or XML viewer..

Guest ChrisB

Guest ChrisB

Is there an emulater or a XML viewer for windows, så I can see what Im doing, when I make a new HOME site for my phone??

// Bjørn - ChrisB

Guest ChrisB

Hmm... Well I downloaded the Embedded vizual C++ and the SPV sdk.

But I can get it to work..

Its like its missing a dir called ATL with subdirs..

// ChrisB

• 1 month later...
Guest drblow

Guys - don't even try it!

The emulator is designed for app dvelopment, not homescreens. Although it is possible to use it to view xml files, it doesn't give a good representation of colours, so you would still have to load the file to the phone to check them.

I know it's a pain in the ass endlessly copying xml files to the phone, opening the homescreen, only to find that you have to move a plugin by 2 points!! - but unfortunately it is the best way at the mo! :evil:

Guest Deemon

I have a small app which a mate wrote for me...made is a bit easier to make my last few homescreens.....its not all singing and dancing but helps with the layout of the screens...Ill ask him if i can post it

Guest drblow
I have a small app which a mate wrote for me...made is a bit easier to make my last few homescreens.....its not all singing and dancing but helps with the layout of the screens...Ill ask him if i can post it  

Eh... any news on that there m8!?! I don't want to seem like I'm hassling you or anything - but if there is an app which will help in any way with making homescreens I WANT IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted:

Guest Deemon

just waiting for him to get back to me on it....basically it reads in an xml and shows you how the layout will look....its currently expecting the layout to be like my cheerleader homescreen.....(weve only been working on the app a short time)

It shows the number of plugins used and their sizes (which is actually the size of the plugin image like in the cheerleader HS)..So you can use the arrow keys to change plugin and it will change the plugin image so that you can align it all up... the small boxes in there are the size of the text for that plugin.....

BTW it uses java so youll need to install the java runtime libraries on your pc...best get 2.0 ..its a free DL...

If hes not too busy I might be able to get him to make some changes....but i dont think we will be able to have something that directly modifies the XML..its more a case of changing the xml and then looking at the preview in the app.

But im sure it can be modified to make Homescreen creation easier...

As soon as I hear from him ill let you know what he says......

In the meantime...heres a pic of it....

SPVhomescreenPreviewer.jpg

Guest JoelRae

Deemon, if your mate's too busy / doesn't want to make changes to it, do you think he'd mind putting up the source code? I can't program Java but it's probably not that hard to convert over to something else (Delphi etc) ... anyways, I'm sure a few people wouldn't mind having a look :)

Obviously though, no pressure on the code front, just the app would be great!!

Cheers mate,

Joel

Guest Phooey

i'd be interested in this as i'm getting bit fed up not being able to see the results in design view or some sort of preview without having to load it onto the phone.

if its as good as you say it'll be great!

the preview jpeg you posted looks fab (not just that gorgeous cheerleader :wink: )

phooey

Guest nikjensie

Deemon,

personally I'd really appreciate the preview ability myself, just being able to preview the XML before sending the complete version to the phone would be such a relief, please see what you can do on posting/sending us the application.

I would really appreciate it!!

Thanks in advance.

Nik

Guest drblow
As soon as I hear from him ill let you know what he says....

:oops: Em... looks like I've dropped you in it m8! Sorry!!

Have to say tho - this looks like a smart little app. I'm sure the customising community will be well up for both the preview & the modification versions.

Can't wait!!

Guest Taoski

This looks like just what we have all been waiting for!

Well..... the lazy portion of the customisation community that is! :)

--> awaiting posting with............................ anticipation.

Guest Deemon

ok he said yes...and we might be able to add some new bits to it if we are lucky. and he can do it.....

Ill post it as soon as i get to work.....(ive just reinstalled this pc and i didnt backup the app ...DOH )

Guest Deemon

OK here you go...its a tad complex but bear with us....

first....Install the Java runtime libraries....its a free download...easy to find...Get Version 2 if you can...if not anything from 1.4 is fine...

Next uzip the app into a directory on your desktop called HomeScreen

Now in that directory unzip all the app files.

There will be 3 files called

Vextech-io.jar

Vextech-swing.jar

Vextech-xml.jar

cut and paste these files into here..

C:Program FilesJavaj2re1.4.0_01libext

assuming you let it install to the default place......

Now in the Homescreen directory create a directory structure that emulates the SPV directory structure like so :-

homescreenIPSMApplication DataHome

You can nowcopy your homescreen XML into the homescreen ROOT directory also place your backdrop here. Any plugin images need to be copied into the HOME directory.....

I know its not how it should be ..but thats the way he did it.... (Bear in Mind that he does not own an SPV he just did it blind...)

Now run :-

HomeScreenViewer.bat

and open your XML.... to see it working you can use the Cheerleader homescreen as a guide....use it as a base to make new ones etc....

please bear in mind that this has only been used to make 1 homescreen so far...it did help me make it faster than by hand....but there are still some bits that we need to work on..like getting the font to display correctly rather than using the boxes...cos they arent the best preview method..

If enough people ask for the same feature Ill ask to see if it can be done...

other than that..I hope you find it in some small way useful.....

cheers

homescreen.zip

Guest priccijr

Anybody get this to work? I run the .bat file and a screen pops up but dosen't stay up. when I try and run my XML IE opens up and I get an error.

Guest nikjensie

I get the program to start up and everything is fine, but when I try to open my own theme I get "Unknown color: COLOR_HOMETEXT"... When I open the Cheerleader I get "Can't read input file!"....

Any ideas?

Nik

Guest Deemon
Anybody get this to work?  I run the .bat file and a screen pops up but dosen't stay up.  when I try and run my XML IE opens up and I get an error.

You actually load up the XML from within the program...if you try and run the XML it will open up in your default XML editor !

Check that you followed the install instructions perfectly.

Chris is going to make some additions to the app...as I said its only been used to create one screen so far...there are bound to be things weve overlooked....

If people are having problems opening homescreens if you can post them up for him to download that would enable hiom to see what the problem is...

cheers