So I fitted my new Geforce 4 and ran 3dmark..........

Guest Martin@Home

Guest Martin@Home

The result is within 400 p**sing points of my old Geforce 2 !!!

I had some good feedback on this forum saying that I would'nt notice a huge difference but 400 points ! What a swizz !!!! :shock: :shock:

Guest ajb3000

did you uninstall the old drivers before putting the new card in? I know they both use dets but it does make a difference.

Guest James

never done that on my card at work... will give it ago. and i an getting a new one terry soon. where can i get the app to test?

Guest ajb3000

Try running 3DMark2001 and compare it to similar systems to see if it is performing as it should.

Do not use 3DMark2003, for non DX9 hardware it shows very very low scores which you cannot comapre very well.

Guest Martin@Home

www.futuremark.com/

3dMark 2000 is a free download.

BTW, if anybody else has a similiar setup to mine :-

Windblows XP service pack 1

AMD Athlon XP1800+

256mb DDr ram

Geforce4 MX440 SE AGP

I'd be V interested to hear what score they get from 3dmark2000, cos I'm convinced I'm not getting the performance I should :?

Guest Martin@Home
did you uninstall the old drivers before putting the new card in?  I know they both use dets but it does make a difference.

Sorry M8, just found your post...

Yeah uninstalled, tried the original detonator drivers I had already downloaded, crap, tried the supplied drivers, crap, downloaded the latest detonator release from the nvidia site, still crap.

I realise of course the higher spec pc and using different version of winmark but check out Toms Hardware VGA results

The score for the Geforce4 is more than double what it is for the Geforce 2 ! What am I doing wrong guys ?

:? :cry: :x :lol:

I have similar setup cept i have geforce 4 ti 4200 not mx and my ddr is 2700 not 2100

my score was 11000 or there abouts thats on 2002

Guest Martin@Home
I have similar setup cept i have geforce 4 ti 4200 not mx and my ddr is 2700 not 2100

my score was 11000 or there abouts thats on 2002

Sorry m8, what does the "2700 not 2100" mean ?

ddr is double density ram is that right ?

Guest ajb3000

2700 DDR runs at 333Mhz, 2100 DDR runs at 266Mhz. It doesn't make an awfull lot of difference to be honest.

Try updating your motherboard drivers, I know it sounds petty but it really can make a big difference!

You can download 3DMark2001 for FREE from http://www.futuremark.com/download/?3dmark2001.shtml

According to their Online Result Browser, a system of your specs should be achieving over 6000 points with the benchmark on default settings. With your GeForce 2 MX400 it should have achieved just over 3000 points.

Guest Martin@Home
2700 DDR runs at 333Mhz, 2100 DDR runs at 266Mhz.  It doesn't make an awfull lot of difference to be honest.

Try updating your motherboard drivers, I know it sounds petty but it really can make a big difference!

You can download 3DMark2001 for FREE from http://www.futuremark.com/download/?3dmark2001.shtml

According to their Online Result Browser, a system of your specs should be achieving over 6000 points with the benchmark on default settings.  With your GeForce 2 MX400 it should have achieved just over 3000 points.

Hadn't though of updating motherboard drivers... Nice one !

I'm on 78% and counting at the moment for 3dmark2001, will post the results when its done.

Guest Martin@Home

Just run 3dmark 2001 second edition and something is very wrong. According to the online performance comparrison thing, I am nearly 50% down on the score I should be getting !

Off to find new motherboard drivers !

Any other suggestions ?

Guest ajb3000

what score did you get? Can you publish it and give me a compare URL?

Also make sure you have FSAA, Anisotropic Filtering and Vertical Sync turned off.

Guest siu99spj

Smaller what? :? URL and description would help.

Yes, 3DMark is big. Always has been. Best bet is to use standard game like Quake3 or whatever you have. Then you can compare with all of us whom have a similar game.

Don't ask me though, I'm on a stuttering old Athlon 900 with GF2 Pro GTS. I get a whopping 141 :shock: on 3DMark2003, though its a miracle it even runs!

Guest James
Don't ask me though, I'm on a stuttering old Athlon 900 with GF2 Pro GTS. I get a whopping 141 :shock: on 3DMark2003, though its a miracle it even runs!

thats nothing i am on a PIII 600, 128mb with a Rage 128 untill next month, then i go to a:-

P4 3.06, 1GbDDR, Quadro 4 380XGL (64mb DDR)

would like to compare graphics performance, i know there will be a LARGE difference. dont wnat to go downloading 40meg.

Guest siu99spj

A Quadro :shock: ?

You into serious 3D CAD design or something? Otherwise your games are gonna suck BIG time.

As for me, by September (accumulating money mode at the mo) I hope to be on a Canterwood 3.2GHz with 1GB RAM, Radeon 9700Pro/9800, SB Live Audigy 2 and Sony DRU-510A.

Only need about £400 more...

Guest siu99spj

Here is some info on the specs for the Quadro series against ATi's best.

Also, somewhere, there was an out and out fight between pro 3D cards (Such as the Quadro) against gamer 3D cards. Still hunting for it as its very interesting.

Guest siu99spj

Yeah, just about :lol:

Hopefully will sell my old kit to get some reimbursement of massive expenditure. Also have to wait for 3.2 to actually come out. Intel claims its either 16th or 23rd.

Guest SirGaz

Just upgraded myself 2 weeks ago. Went from Athlon 900Mhz, 384Mb RAM, Geforce3 to an Athlon 2800, 512Mb RAM and Radeon 9800 Pro. 3DMark2003 score went from 191 to 5211 :shock:

Just need to sort out the cooling aspect now (off to buy a couple of case fans tonight).