How things have changed!

Guest Simon Desser

Guest Big Ron - No Longer a Mem

And for all my fellow Mancunians:-

"VIMTO MOUSTACHES"

(You could only get Vimto in Manchester in the 70's!)

Hey - My school's tuck shop (in Bristol) was selling Vimto in the 1960's. That;s a LONG way South of Manchester!

Guest midnight

i had a grifter myself, with all the mudguards and stickers taken off of course.

i think the one sweet that everyone has forgotten is 'texan' bars, bloody amazing things.

There was apiece in The Times a while back that suggested the reason for Charles & Di's inevitable break up was simply age. Charles was a baby brought up by parents who remembered the war, and the depression. The "I'll cry tomorrow, right now I'm busy trying to stay alive" generation. And the parents passed on the attitudes to their kids. I was born a decade after WW2 - but still referred to derelict buildings as "bomb sites". The coming of the sixties marked Britain giving up as a "great power". Conscription - required to police the empire and much of the world - ended. Women played a bigger part in decision making in the home - "Kinder, Kuche, Kirche" became old hat. Pain and fear stopped being something we bottled up... we "let it all hang out". Charles was a child of one side of the dividing line - duty and responsibility - Diana was a child from the other (self-indulgent) side of the line.

In education teaching methods changed - competition was "no longer acceptable" in case losers felt humilated. This turned out to be a mistake - an education system that served the needs of girls - but not boys (who, research shows, learn differently, and THRIVE on competition!) Girls for the first time got generally better marks than boys, and continued to increase the gap until the government began to wonder why.

One oddment - if a customer in a shop has already calculated the bill in their head, and hands the correct change to the salesgirl... chances are they're either over 40 or under 15. Mental arithmetic - once out of favour - is now back on the curriculum.

Guest mattbrown

i passed around the 1st post to my colleagues at work and it all sent them down memory lane

does anyone remember panda pops when they where in 250ml glass bottles (todangerous for kids nowadays)

Guest Simon Desser
Hey - My school's tuck shop (in Bristol) was selling Vimto in the 1960's. That;s a LONG way South of Manchester!

:? I can remember in the mid 70's, we had some cousins who lived in London, and they'd never heard of Vimto. After staying with us for a few days they were hooked. Subsequently, everytime they came up to visit us in Manchester, they'd buy a load of Vimto to take back home with them :?: So I always assumed it was a Manchester thing?

But, I guess you're right, cos if you look at Vimto's website, they claim to have been worlwide :!: :oops:

Guest youngerpants

Interesting fact of the day. Vimto cordial sells very well in Saudi, drunk as a liquor where alcohol is prohibited

:shock:

The stuff we bought was a pre-diluted fizzy drink in a bottle - much like Coca Cola. I didn't see the "syrup" on sale down hear until some time years later. My memories aren't just of the sweets and drinks... but of the prices. A Barratts Sherbet Fountain cost 3d (Same price as the Beano - 25% of 5p) When "family sized" Coke was launched (previously only available in individual sized real glass bottles) it cost two bob - 10p. Then came the seventies and inflation - prices rose by as much as 27% a year. I'd spent a lifetime hoarding bithday present money, Xmas money, and had amassed an enviable £125 - enough to buy a second hand MG Midget. Three years later... £125 was worth almost nothing. My stepfather was the first kid in Bristol to buy a Mars bar - for 3d. 30 odd years later, the same product cost double - 6d. It now costs an amazing 7 shillings! Things changed very very slowly... then they changed MUCH too fast. On the bicycle front, as a lad I owned a succession of Moultons - the Minor, Midi and then a "Major de Luxe". I've still got a minor, (although not the one I owned back then) They used to be colour coded - each model was its own colour Red for minor, green for major. The one I have now is a green minor, and without the front sprung suspension. Sturmey Archer gears too!

Guest Martin@Home

OMG I loved pacers !!! Spangles were ok but does anyone remember you could get all different flavours of them but one packet in particular was all dull colours and really weird tasting stuff. Sour almost...?

I used to like cola roller balls as well !

Can anyone help ? On saturday evenings in the mid to late 80's was a scifi action crime busting type program in the same sort of mold as streethawk, knightrider, airwolf etc etc etc. The hero in it used to plug himself into the mains to recharge himself and he had a car that used to turn 90deg corners instantly so his bumbling sidekick always ended up sqaushed against the window.

What was it called :?: :?: :?: :?:

Guest TheDon

Choppers were so cool with that superb gear shift.

Then there were Grifters thay were great, even though they weighed a ton :oops:

Midnight you should be ashamed of yourself taking off the mud guards!!!!!

we used to bend them over so that rubbed on the tyre, in them days we thought it made a motorbike sound!!!!

I know how sad :oops:

"Can anyone help ? On saturday evenings in the mid to late 80's was a scifi action crime busting type program in the same sort of mold as streethawk, knightrider, airwolf etc etc etc. The hero in it used to plug himself into the mains to recharge himself and he had a car that used to turn 90deg corners instantly so his bumbling sidekick always ended up sqaushed against the window...."

Wasn't the last one from Gerry "Thunderbirds" Anderson, and called something like "Space Precinct"? Precinct fetured somewhere in the title I'm sure (assuming we're talking about the same show!) Try the Internet Movie Database

Guest Martin@Home
Wasn't the last one from Gerry "Thunderbirds" Anderson, and called something like "Space Precinct"? Precinct fetured somewhere in the title I'm sure (assuming we're talking about the same show!) Try the Internet Movie Database

I thought that was jim henson of muppet show fame ! Also fairly sure thats not the one I'm thinking about :lol:

Guest awarner [MVP]
The hero in it used to plug himself into the mains to recharge himself and he had a car that used to turn 90deg corners instantly so his bumbling sidekick always ended up sqaushed against the window...."

I think I've got the name right Automan

Also for the Vimto guys is it a coincidence that it's an anagram of vomit :lol: