That "trials" Hoax

Guest Big Ron - No Longer a Mem

Guest squall

Its very strange afterall the statement from O said the rumors came from within there trials team. so my guess would be a leaked internal memo or something of that sort, but in that case there must be some sort of trails set up.

all will nodoubt be revealed in time.

Guest Martin@Home
Blame aside, what the HELL were they REALLY trying to achieve though ? Get people to spam someone at Orange that someone has taken a dislike to ? To annoy everyone here and on the other websites ? 

I don't get it.  :?

The contents of this thread were exactly what they were trying to achieve and its working a treat from what I've seen !

Guest Monolithix [MVP]
Is it really worth a few days fame though? they must be sad if that's the case

You could say the same about any hacker/virus writer/spammer...

Why am I here ?  Errr.. Oh yeah, just spotted this - appears that www.newswireless.net (well, the forum that it runs) is trying to blame modaco ! Pfff

:shock: 

http://www.quicktopic.com/22/H/SgcUUXTUtpRe

Interesting interpretation. You've just linked to MY post over there, which I cut and pasted from here. It was the best (official) confirmation yet that the whole thing's a hoax, and I hoped that might put a lid on the wild speculations.

Previous wild speculations (right here on Modaco) included the allegation that the hoax BEGAN on Guy Kewney's site. It didn't - it started right here (synchronised with a post in the Newsgroup) and mentioned it to Guy, who THEN picked up the story. The FIRST suggestion I saw that the whole thing might have been a hoax came from... Guy's forum. That led me to raise the issue "is this a hoax?" as what turned out to be the last post on the original thread - moments later, the thread was pulled. So, far from "blaming Modaco", I tried to dampen down the flames of wild speculation. Note that while people HERE were running around like headless chickens and speculating on what kind of phone they'd be trialling, it was GUY's forum that first came up with (publicly offered) evidence that we'd all be scammed.

Guest HelloDave
maybe on the Sybian smartphone trial

LMAO - nice typo; have you ever been to Sybian.com :lol: It always cracks me up that quite a few Symbian owners must mistype the URL and get quite a shock at the site that appears! :lol:

Sorry for spam post, getting back on topic...as far as hoaxes go it was a fairly convincing one. Glad I didn't send Julian Hope an e-mail though! :D

Guest squall

sorry i took the Sybian thing of Guy Kewney's web page. just tied in with what i was thinking about a leak. I dont know what phones are coming up for release.

Has anyone out there previous experience of "hoax" mail? There's a lot of it out there, and it's well documented - you can find definitive collections (complete with the "evolution" of the more popular variants) on sites dedicated to such matters. And usually they follow a clear pattern and can be spotted a mile off, because they ARE so formulaic. They usually include some kind of endorsement from a totally fictional official (e.g. CEO of IBM) and they're usually - quite clearly - created by someone withoiut a great deal of education - poor spelling, bad grammar (which makes the endorsements look odd - surely a high-ranking Doctor or IBM board member would have a better grasp of English?)

THIS scam didn't "fit the profile". The forgery seems to have been created by pasting together sections of REAL Orange boilerplate, taken from several different documents. The official referred to was a REAL person - and conveniently (TOO conveniently in my view) had apparently just left work on Friday and wouldn't be back for a week (and therefore wouldn't be blowing the whistle) Teatime Friday is THE perfect time to leak/bury bad news (a la Jo Moore & Stephen Byers, or GW Bush and the FEPA Global Warming report) but... how many people KNOW that? The perpetrator of this hoax seemingly took the trouble to make a two-pronged attack - via the forum under one name, and via the newsgroups under another, that way seeming to offer corroboration of the original story (since TWO people claimed to have received it.)

Well-planned, slick and professional. VERY well-planned, slick and professional. Too much so to have been an idle prank. Someone out there invested a lot of time and effort in this - AND knew what to do.

So... WHY? If nobody gained from this.... who suffered? And who might have wanted them to suffer? Did we see the game played all the way through, or was it nipped in the bud? Could be we'll never know.

Guest Martin@Home

LMAO - nice typo; have you ever been to Sybian.com :lol: It always cracks me up that quite a few Symbian owners must mistype the URL and get quite a shock at the site that appears! :lol:

hehe Ian Gratification Stewart... Pleasure is my middle name ! :D

Its very strange afterall the statement from O said the rumors came from within there trials team. so my guess would be a leaked internal memo or something of that sort, but in that case there must be some sort of trails set up.

Yet from your OWN earlier posting...

"A number of Orange customers have received an email which CLAIMS to be from Orange inviting them to participate in a trial of the new Orange SPV handset."

Note that key phrase: "Claims to be". Changes the WHOLE meaning of the sentence. Changes it FROM "O said the rumors came from within there trials team." TO "O said the rumors DIDN'T come from within there trials team."

Obviously too subtle...

Guest fozzie

lol Martin@Home :lol:

Who honestly give's a rat's ass about the whys and what fors?! The fact is it happened. The forum, or at least some members, were suckered. That's the power of free speech for you!

It's not the first time this sort of scam has happened and won't be the last. This is just a reminder that you can't take everything you read for granted - even on this well read and well respected forum.

"Lost me Big Ron.... Can we talk about breasts for a while now ?"

Large, small or SBH? (That's a pre-decimal "Imperial" measurement. - "Standard British Handfull")

"Who honestly give's a rat's ass about the whys and what fors?! The fact is it happened."

The question is... "WHAT happened?" if this was just a stupid prank by some idiot... then it's no big deal. But it doesn't LOOK at all like a "spur of the moment" thing - it looks like the product of very carefull planning and execution, by someone who knew what they were doing. It doesn't have the amateurish stamp of the "usual" type of hoax - like the "virus alerts" that float around the web. If it was more than just a "jape", then you're a fool if you don't care about the "whys and wherefores". Free Speech is a wonderful thing... until people with deeper pockets that you or I start throwing lawyers at issues they don't want aired. Then the likes of Paul - who makes all this possible - has to think long and hard about whether it's worth the risk.

There's a chap in Finchley who sells refurbished phones under the name "Easyfones2you". Or he used to - before Stelios's "Easyjet" crew sent him a solicitors letter threatening him with legal action if he continued to use "Easy" as part of the name. If he takes it to court (as "EasyArt" have) then he'll win - after wasting a fortune on solicitors fees and hours of his own time. Paul's in much the same position. If Sendo, or Microsoft, or Orange send him a writ... the "Free" speech he's providing us with might start to cost more than he's willing to pay. But, clearly, you'll be the first in line with your checkbook open, ready to pay any expenses? I don't think so!

Guest squall

big ron, please dont mis quote me, or post portions of a bigger post to make what i said read differently. if you had posted the full post you would have seen the O statement said that it HAD come from someone at orange, but wasnt sent with the athority of orange.

Take that to mean what you want, but i take it to mean that most likely they are orgnaising something and someone in orange leeked that out into the open.

we have seen this happen before with O,and as always theres always someone watching like yourself who cant see past his eye lids for the conspiricy infront of them.

Guest fozzie

I can't see why you're getting so worked up about this Big Ron. I don't think anybody has done anything bad or illegal. They've just wasted a lot of peoples time. The only people who should feel bad are those people guilty of propagating this hoax outside of this newsgroup and causing even more inconvenience:

I can assure you of Kewney's innocence - since it was ME who drew his attention to the posting in THIS forum.  So, the sequence of events is fairly clear: the original post HERE (13th June) and Kewney's response (AFTER I'd told him about it) somewhat later.
Interesting interpretation. You've just linked to MY post over there

Oh, that'll be you then! :oops:

The question is... "WHAT happened?"
We know what happened! Someone posted a scam. People were sucked in. End. (Oh yeah, and some por sod at Orange has ended up with a shed load of emails from scrounging hopefuls after a freebie handset - that'll include me then too!)

This is a discussion board. People say things, some of them true, some of not. :lol:

Free Speech is a wonderful thing... until people with deeper pockets that you or I start throwing lawyers at issues they don't want aired.  Then the likes of Paul - who makes all this possible - has to think long and hard about whether it's worth the risk.

I think you're getting a bit over excited. Lawyers? Whether what's worth the risk? In case you'd forgotten, Paul works for Microsoft. I'm quite sure he's got all the support and advice he needs. :wink:

There's a chap in Finchley who sells refurbished phones under the name "Easyfones2you".  Or he used to - before Stelios's "Easyjet" crew sent him a solicitors letter threatening him with legal action if he continued to use "Easy" as part of the name.  If he takes it to court (as "EasyArt" have) then he'll win - after wasting a fortune on solicitors fees and hours of his own time.  Paul's in much the same position.
A 'poisson rouge' if ever I've read one. :?

If Sendo, or Microsoft, or Orange send him a writ... the "Free" speech he's providing us with might start to cost more than he's willing to pay.  But, clearly, you'll be the first in line with your checkbook open, ready to pay any expenses? I don't think so!

Well clearly I am contributing to the running of this forum by paying to be a MoDaCo Plus member. Are you Big Ron? :oops:

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

I recieved the following statement from an Orange spokesperson in my e-mail after i left work last night, apologies for the delay. This is the official Orange response to the hoax, don't expect to get any more information than this.

A number of Orange customers have received an email which claims to be from Orange inviting them to participate in a trial of the new Orange SPV handset.

While this information appears to have been sent by the Orange trials team, it was not generated by Orange.

The next version of the SPV, the SPV E100 will be launched in the UK in July. All trials of this handset are now complete.

Orange very much regrets any disappointment caused to our customers by this misleading email and we are conducting a full investigation into its origin.

Guest Rob.P

Don't see why someone didn't do an IP trace, standard practice on the other boards I visit, usually helps clarify who's who.

If someone received the email, anyone looked up the header info?

big ron, please dont mis quote me, or post portions of a bigger post to make what i said read differently. if you had posted the full post you would have seen the O statement said that it HAD come from someone at orange, but wasnt sent with the athority of orange.

Take that to mean what you want, but i take it to mean that most likely they are orgnaising something and someone in orange leeked that out into the open.

we have seen this happen before with O,and as always theres always someone watching like yourself who cant see past his eye lids for the conspiricy infront of them.

Have to say I agree with Big Ron on this point (though not necessarily the rest of what he says on this thread).

Seems to me it says "while this information appears to have been sent by the Orange trials team, it was not generated by Orange." You're taking it to mean "this came from Orange Trials but shouldn't have, without going through Orange, we'll investigate why Orange trials sent this out" while Big Ron and I think it means "it was made to look like it came from Orange trials but in fact didn't, we'll try to investigate were it did come from"

Let me know if I missed something.