That "trials" Hoax

Guest Big Ron - No Longer a Mem

Guest Deemon

Well this seems to have gone a little further now..

AWarner mentioned that someone had sent him a virus..

Well that mail was addressed from me. However it was not sent by me !

On that Im 100% sure

:x

Blimey - I haven't checked-in to the forum for a few days, and all of this is very interesting!

I was one of the first people suckered into sending an email to Julian Hope, and usually I can spot a hoax a mile off (as Ron has said, many follow a certain form).

But with this one I was had - it seemed quite plausible (plausible enough for Guy Kewney to pick it up).

With most hoaxes of this type apart from the questionable English and vague references, it is quite easy to spot because if it appears too good to be true then it almost certainly is (such as the “http://www.urbanlegends.com/ulz/emailtracking.html>email tracking” hoax and variants). This one seemed perfectly reasonable – and as Guy Kewney speculated on http://www.newswireless.net/articles/030613-spv.html>his page the SPV2 might not necessarily be the Tanager, so Orange may well be setting up a trial for a new device now.

Whoever did it (and I’m assuming it’s a hoax rather than a leak from Orange) did it well, and put in enough information for it to seem genuine. The only possible giveaway is the fact that the supposed email asked to be sent to friends and colleagues, and the fact that the recipient was conveniently on holiday.

I wonder if we will ever know the hows and whys of this one?

Guest Rob.P

Sounds like someone is flexing their muscles in regards to hacking, not good for the rest of us users, if it's someone on this site then trust has suddenly become an issue, which does not bode well for the site.

If you find out who it was, don't forget to name and shame them (an address would be good as well, nothing like a good kneecapping to remind people of how things should and shouldn't be done :twisted: )

Guest vijay555

Sigh, i haven't read these posts in a while, and ok, i'm disappointed that it was a hoax, and i sent a reply in straightaway after it was posted on the board, more beacuse i wanted to be involved in giving feedback than a free phone - yeash, i've got an SPV, i'll buy a tanager when it's released, but i'd rather buy a good phone with good service thru feedback, than have a crappy phone for free. So, i was glad to contribute, and realistically, i don't feel all that suckered either.

I hope that Orange has a good read through all of the questionaires and puts the responses to good use in any event, ie realise the enthusiasm from the board, and start to give and take a little with us. Basically they got some free feedback, we spent a couple of minutes each. I can live with that.

I'm more inclined to believe that the email was spoofed by someone, since it doesn't make sense for it to be leaked from orange when Julian wasn't there to act on it. But seriously, whoever can be bothered to knock together the email, and spoof it, is probably better off getting a Nokia, i would feel embarrassed if he's an SPV owner: intelligence is a pre-requisite for these phones, and he clearly is a bit lacking in wit.

I'm glad i volunteered for the hoax trial, and Orange should really pay attention to the fact that there's a lot of people interested in the phone's development (and it would make a great article for the Register! "Leagues of Stoopid SPV owners hoodwinked: Orange denies the Universe exists")

Let's all keep our knickers on...

V

Guest midnight
I'm glad i volunteered for the hoax trial, and Orange should really pay attention to the fact that there's a lot of people interested in the phone's development (and it would make a great article for the Register! "Leagues of Stoopid SPV owners hoodwinked: Orange denies the Universe exists") 

no, no, no, the register would say its microsofts fault as always :lol:

Guest Big Ron - No Longer a Mem

I guess it's a matter of perspective. If your experience of Orange consists entirely of having seen their adverts, bought a phone from them - and made a few calls to 156, then you'll have formed a nice cozy view. If you've ben part of the organisation, you'll have a better understanding of how fierce their "office politics" can be - and you'll be inclined towards a different view of possibile explanations. Hoaxes are commonplace - sites like Snopes (www.snopes.com) list dozens of them and document their evolution over time. But a quick check of the snopes site makes it clear that they all tend to be very similar - they "fit a pattern". This one doesn't fit that pattern: it's a far more "professional", slicker piece of work. If the execution doesn't fit the usual pattern... why should the motive behind it? Despite the comfoprting name-calling, the guy who perpetrated this WAS intelligent - bright enough to produce a document that convinced a sizeable collection of people who are experts of a sort; bright enough to work out the best time to launch the scam; bright enough to base it around a victim who had JUST gone on holiday. (But not apparently well enough informed to know that Orange sends out periodical requests for employees to delete old messages because the server is running out of storage, which MAY be how the hoax got noticed) My view continues to be that he had some purpose in mind. Maybe that will eventually be revealed... maybe it won't. We'll have to wait and see.

Guest fozzie

Yeah, good work inspector. I bet it was the caretaker that did it as part of his evil and sinister plan to take over the world or maybe, perhaps maybe, it was just someone bored, having a laugh! :lol:

Guest vijay555

I'm not name calling, by "wit" i was purposefully using a homonym - if the email was meant to be funny, it wasn't; if it was meant to be clever, it was clever enough, but what did it achieve?

I think we should all "move along, move along, nothing to see here". If any motives are to be revealed, better to be nicely surprised...

"Leagues of Stoopid SPV owners hoodwinked: Orange denies the Universe exists. Microsoft announces Universe2004 with SDIO support and temperamental SMS Counter"

V

OT, but imagine if The Matrix was Microsoft code. I don't like MS bashing, but are you surprised there were so many versions?!

"MS Matrix 6.0 - with added Pain". You know it has us! :shock:

Guest Martin@Home
"Lost me Big Ron.... Can we talk about breasts for a while now ?"

Large, small or SBH? (That's a pre-decimal "Imperial" measurement. - "Standard British Handfull")

LOL Big Ron.....

----------------------------------------------------------

Every time someone lengthens this thread with another reply, we are just feeding this guys ego ! Admitedly, yes, most hoaxes are easy to spot because of the bad grammer. speeeling etc... :wink:

People who write viruses and scam forums do it for all the same reasons as hoaxers, because they get a kick out of watching the reaction to them. I would argue that anyone capable of writing a virus would also be capable of fooling lots of inteligent people on a public forum. The point I'm trying to make is that just because it was an intelligent hoax doesn't automatically mean that it was an inside job. Clever people are just as capable of doing small minded things as stoopid people. Forums are the worlds best places to get any kind of scam of the ground because you have a massive audience of like minded people who are all gonna have the same weakness for a common subject, in our case, getting our sticky mits on a new gadget !

I'm with you all the way fozzie.... It was just some geek out for a laugh and I'm afraid with all the shouts of "conspiracy" going on, he's getting exactly that !

We got scammed !!! End of....

Guest awarner [MVP]

And on that note I think we should lock this one, as everything has been said that needs to be.

Let this post drift into the obscurity it needs.

Hopefully for their sake the hoaxers have got the fix they needed.