What systems do you guys have??

Guest MECX

Guest JabbaTheSlut

do you mean hit down on the screwdriver, like you would hit a nail-does that loosen the screw?! cool!

a good tip to loosen problem screws my Dad gave me, was tighten them a 1/4 turn, them loosen them, and that seems to work the thread loose!

Jabba

NB: Posting at 5am again, can't sleep.  Please ignore spelling and grammer.

Yup it's true.  Kinda.

5 secs (or a bit less) to LOAD WINDOWS from a hibernated state.  Obviously this time doesn't inclue the bit before windows loads, POST, RAID setup etc.....

I barely ever start windows from cold nowerdays, winXP is stable enough for me to use it for weeks without the need for a proper restart.  

This speed is mostly down to the RAID array I put in a few months ago, it's pretty funky.  It does have a downside though.  If one of the two drives dies I can't recover any of my data!  :shock:

yeh after mono (cheers man) pointed this out (had never heard of it before) i had a bit of a read----its does look really cool---i might get myself a PCI raid and another hardrive---whats the speed increase like?? from what ive read it looks like a big increase!?

oh and do the hardrives have to be identical or just the same size??

Hope your stuff comes soon Jabba im well interested on how this 9600 pro fairs in your opinion.

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

If you set up a Raid0 array you hard drive "speed" will run at 2x the speed of the slowest drive. Ideally the hard drvies need to be the same size (i think), otherwise you'll get 2x the smallest drive available space. Mr Pro may want to correct me on this.

Guest Mr_Protozoa

I'm pretty sure that the dives MUST be the same size and speed.

It's recommended that you use the EXACT same hard drives to ensure that they both output data at the same rate. You'll need IDE cables which run at the same speed too. I've been told that Western Digital drives are really good for RAID.

The performance boost is immediately noticeable, espcecially with loading times. It's not quite 2x speed since it's still gotta go through your CPU and stuff (which could then become a bottleneck).

If you do setup a RAID system I'd recommend that you get some round IDE cables, when you start sticking extra HDD's (each on different IDE channels) ribbon cables get really hard to work with, plus they'll blow too much airflow. Talking of airflow you probally should wack a fan (or other cooling device) on your HDD's, apparently they can get quite warm with RAID.

Oh, and don't forget to backup your files, if one drives dies, you lose the lot.

Guest JabbaTheSlut

Right, got my stuff, the monitor is............amazing, so crisp!!!! only problem is the with the radeon is in, it wont boot up the system, its OK with my old card (radeon 7500)

the 9600 is a 8x AGP card, and i think my motherboard only supports 4x, but i was told it was backwardly compatible, is not the case then???!

Thanks

Jabba

Guest Mr_Protozoa

This may sound foolish, but is it in the AGP slot properly, I installed a Radeon 8500dvi on a friends system and it wouldn't boot. Took it out, put it back in and it worked!

If it's in properly why not try resetting the BIOS to it's defualts with the 'reset jumper'.

Guest JabbaTheSlut

Doesnt like it still, checked on the ati website, and it is compatible, the RAMs faulty too, this is why i rarely buy from dabs.com, gonna try a few more things that people have suggested, but am at a loss,hmmmm

any more thoughts before i send it back!!!! the RAMs already been writtern off as faulty, definatly!

Jabba

Guest Mr_Protozoa

Does they system boot at all?

Do you get the POST 'beep'?

Does anything appear on the screen?

Have you got the screen plugged into the correct output? Does your gfx card have multiple outputs?

Guest JabbaTheSlut

it turns on, but the POST doesnt beep, in any number of combinations, nothing appears on the screen, it just sits in standby, and i've tried it in both outputs, :s

Jabba

Guest awarner [MVP]

Are you sure you have not trashed the CPU? the only time I've had similar problems (no beeps etc)

was when I had a duff CPU :)

Guest Mr_Protozoa

When you try to power up the PC do any of the other components turn on?

CPU fan?

GPU gan?

HDD's spinning?

Does the radeon need a power input? I heard some of the geforceFX series need a molex power supply, does the radeon?

Guest Mr_Protozoa
I almost bought one of those Cheiftec's a few months back. They as good as they're claimed to be?

I love my Chieftec case, it's one of the best cases I've worked with, loads of space for extra internal compenents, lots of fan holes, some nice drive rails and removable cages too.

Chieftec even sell side panels with windows cut into them (see the pic in my 1st post).

The steel models are mighty weighty though!

DO you want me to post some pix of the internals or anything?

Guest Mr_Protozoa

With the Radeon 9600 problem....

Have you upgraded you motherboard drivers / BIOS? This could help.

Have you got another computer you can test the video card in?

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Pics: yeah go for it, i knew about the premade window panels too, one of the reasons for looking into getting one.

Guest Mr_Protozoa

I took this photo the other day when my RAID went down.

I'll take some more in a min.....

You can see the lovely removable drive cages. You get 2, each holds 3 HDD's / Floppy / ZIP etc....

My 2 HDD's are mounted backward a bit to make space for the 80mm fan in the front of the cage. They don't normally poke out that much.

cages.jpg

Guest JabbaTheSlut

i'll do a BIOS update now, see what that does, thanks for all them help people, all my fans "whirr" and my cd roms flash, lets see what a BIOS update does, thanks again.......

Jabba

AMD Athlon XP 1800

Chieftec case

256MB DDR 2700 Ram

200Gig Hard Drive (1x120Gb 1x80Gb)

GeForce 4 Ti4200 overclocked to 4600

14 USB ports (10xUSB 2.0)

Soundblaster Live! 5.1

iPanel Deluxe

IR Port

Front audio jacks

16x Pioneer Multi Reigon Dvd

12x10x32 cd writer

100Mb Lan

Raid controller

IE1394 Firewire

2 x Gameports

2 x Serial

Parallel port

CMedia Audio

Rounded (blue) IDE cables

3.5 Floppy

(Soon to add more ram and possibly a cpu upgrade to a Barton)

I almost bought one of those Cheiftec's a few months back.  They as good as they're claimed to be?

You will NEVER regret it, best case EVER!