New Software Upgrade at SMART website version 1.50.28

Guest SAPFreak

Guest grifter

do you need an SD card to perform the bootloader downgrade or is there an alternative way to do it without using an SD card?

Guest bwax

mlkanapi,

I am also a victim of the Smart update (my previously unlocked Smart Amazing Phone got locked again by the Smart update 1.05 . . .grrrrrr)

did you follow the instructions completely? did you use the update from Orange or did you just follow the instructions until the dowgrading of the bootloader?

Also, I have tried to do a Hard Reset but it's always unsuccessful. . .the only thing i see is the 3-color Canary screen and no keys are working. . .what am I doing wrong?

Please help me, I really miss my unlocked Smart Amazing Phone. . .

Thanks!!!!

Guest mlkanapi

grifter,

you need an SD card to copy your friend's bootloader. I fortunately had a spare 8 Mb card. It will format the card before copying the bootloader .98. I suggest you copy or back up your existing SD card if you want to use it.

bwax,

you need to press the Action Key for a few seconds immediately upon seeing the white screen before it shows the 3 color Canary screen. I did have to use the Orange update before upgrading using the SAP_137.

Good Luck.

Guest adi116

Everything worked fine but i've lost the contents of the STK service (addict menu). Is this what they call the Addict STK patch :?:

mlkanapi,

I still can't do a hard reset. . .when i press the voice recorder button while turning the fone on, the message that i immediately see is "Press any key to load bootloader". . . I dont see the "Press action button" message. . .do i really need to do a hard reset to be able to downgrade my SAP? or can I skip the hard reset process?

Anybody here from las pinas who could help me downgrade my fone? I dont have an SD card yet (it's not in my list of thing to buy yet - i have other priorities as of the moment). . .i really want to unlock my fone ASAP. . . . :)

Help! anybody? please?

I dont understand you guys who wanted to unlock your phone. It is suposedly exclusive with smart. sometimes we have to accept the fact that getting a sap is getting into smart, or stick it out with globe. Though it is practical but sometimes we have to practice fairness and respect.

ses from nissanbayan? hello! anyway, to answer your question, im a really a globe subscriber and ive been using my number for almost 3 years now. . .im not really into cellphones (im more into cars hehehe) but when i saw the SAP, i wanted to get one coz i really liked its features (but it was locked, so i was having second thoughts). . .i didn't want to change my number (still dont want to for several reasons) so when I learned from the net that it can be unlocked, I immediately got the SAP and slapped my globe sim in it. . .hope you understand man. . .im sure the others who want to unlock their SAP have their own reasons too. . .peace! :)

Guest mlkanapi
mlkanapi,

I still can't do a http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?p=97945#97945>Hard Reset. . .when i press the voice recorder button while turning the fone on, the message that i immediately see is "Press any key to load bootloader". . . I dont see the "Press action button" message. . .do i really need to do a http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?p=97945#97945>Hard Reset to be able to downgrade my SAP?  or can I skip the http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?p=97945#97945>Hard Reset process?  

Anybody here from las pinas who could help me downgrade my fone?  I dont have an SD card yet (it's not in my list of thing to buy yet - i have other priorities as of the moment). . .i really want to unlock my fone ASAP. . . . :)  

Help! anybody? please?

Here are the steps as taken from a post by PAUL MVP:

7. Turn off the SPV.

8. Hold the 'Voice Memo' button down while turning on the SPV.

9. Press and hold the Action button (joystick middle button) for 2 seconds as instructed.

10. Press 8 to select 'Erase IPSM data'.

11. When it has finished doing this (it takes a while), it will say PASSED. Press the left direction pad twice and choose 3 to close the diagostics.

12. On the three colour 'Canary PV' screen, hold the power button down. This will re-start the phone with the Orange Sunset screen.

13. Arrange the two 'Windows Explorer' windows and the Activesync window on screen so you can see them all.

14. When your SPV switches from the Orange Sunset to the blue SmartPhone logo screen, wait a few seconds and then put the phone in it's cradle.

I hope this helps.

Guest mlkanapi
How do you copy the bootloader to the SD card?

Please follow this step by step ( From niacin65)

1. Find a Smart Amazing phone that has the .98 bootloader. You verify this by starting the phone and holding in the record button at the same time, which gives you the three color "Canary" screen (strap mode). If it says .93 or .98 you have found the correct phone.

2. Take that phone and turn it off.

3. Then turn it on in "strap mode" (holding the record button pressing while power button) until you see a white screen that says "press any key to enter bootloader". Then press ANY key.

4. You should now be at the three colors "Canary" screen.

5. At this point Connect your power cable/USB cable (that came in the box) to your USB port of your PC.

6. Control/Alt/Del and close the wcescomm.exe program and related (if running).

7. Insert the SD card into the phone

8. Open a DOS prompt or START/RUN/COMMAND (CMD in win2k/XP) and type "usbterm" without the quotes.

9. type qfs ? (notice the SPACE after qfs) this gives you a list of commands to run in this program.

10. type qfs 10 this formats the SD card and wipes it clean

11. Type qfs 0 (the number zero) this copies the botloader onto the SD card

12. After this has been copied, type quit and close the window.

13. To turn off that phone, remove the battery. Disconnect the USB cable, and remove the SD card.

Guest hazmat

what if i can not find anybody who has bootloader v.98 and I don't have SD card reader, is there any other way to downgrade bootloader? if not magkano ba ang SD card reader?

Guest dinoalbert

@ses

I didnt sim-unlock my SAP yet and I have no plans either although I've been using a Globe sim form more than 3 years now...I use another phone for it. When I bought the Tanager from Smart, it becomes mine now. I now own the unit, so I can do anything I want with it....but I should accept the fact and the consequence that unlocking it will void the warranty. Its a choice.

IMHO, its not so unfair because you are still obliged to maintain your subscription for 2 long years....so saan malulugi ang Smart?

Also, unlocking your SAP will also enable you to use the phone abroad using that country's prepaid simcards.....mas practical kesa naka-roaming ka with Smart.

cheers...

Guest StanyDB

Just upgraded and all looks fine, no need for change of telco here. Will travel plenty in Asia the next few months, hope there are no problems.

The little puter is faster na, it seems theres more memory available!!! No more problems sending-receiving SMS/MMS. The camera is more faster also. No headaches here. :) ;) :D

Cheers m8s

ps. the Filipino forum is A1-OK

peace there mga dude.

yup we have our own reasons. guess you are right when we bought the phone it becomes our property and we can do whatever we want to.

please note though that i heard smart is studying ways on how to address the problem legally, I think we have to be discreet on this matter.

Guest Jassper23

Buti pa kayo okay lang sa inyo ako nasira phone ko nung nag update ako ng software :) kaya binalik ko sa smart after 4 days nagawa narin :-P.... nag tataka lang ako ng update ako using orange software okay naman pero doon sa update ng smart nasira phone ko.. okay na sana orange software problem lang di ako maka reply sa text ;) kaya ni run ko update software nung na erase na 100% kinalas ko cable tapos binalik ko sa smart :twisted:

mlkanapi,

thanks for the tips, finally i have performed the hard reset successfully! thanks man! btw, where can i get an orange 1.37 update? cant find one (or im not searching hard enough. . ) can you direst me to a site with an orange update? thanks!

Guest jabez
Also, unlocking your SAP will also enable you to use the phone abroad using that country's prepaid simcards.....mas practical kesa naka-roaming ka with Smart.  

@dinoalbert

I agree with you on this, Kabayan.

Right now, I'm in a foreign country using a local SIM here. If I used SMART Roaming, my contacts here would have to pay higher just to call me. As it is, I have to place my Buddy SIM (activated for Text Roaming) from time to time, just so my contacts in the Philippines could send me SMS. These Pinoy contacts pay only Php 1.00 to send me text messages. It's a hassle but it's the best I can do at the moment.

In addition, I left my Addict SIM with somebody in the Philippines to maintain the account. SMART has nothing to lose in this arrangement.

If SMART insisted on locking our phones, it would take away this freedom to choose which arrangement works best for the consumers.

Huwag naman sanang maging "gahaman" ang SMART.

Guest virgil

@dinoalbert

I agree with you on this, Kabayan.

Right now, I'm in a foreign country using a local SIM here. If I used SMART Roaming, my contacts here would have to pay higher just to call me. As it is, I have to place my Buddy SIM (activated for Text Roaming) from time to time, just so my contacts in the Philippines could send me SMS. These Pinoy contacts pay only Php 1.00 to send me text messages. It's a hassle but it's the best I can do at the moment.

In addition, I left my Addict SIM with somebody in the Philippines to maintain the account. SMART has nothing to lose in this arrangement.

If SMART insisted on locking our phones, it would take away this freedom to choose which arrangement works best for the consumers.

Huwag naman sanang maging "gahaman" ang SMART.

This not to condem SMART or other telcos in other countries that supports smartphones. The point is that the it is really a very promising communication tool, reardless of its version/software-- the basic services are the same--its just that --there are advantages on having unlocked version and likewise disadvantages---for the upgraded version (for those who already had w/ SMART 1.5) ---these too has many advantages that corrected the "other" difficulties (i.e. SMS , hanging,memory etc)--the downside is its now difficult (& more expensive) to unlock it. :cry:

Its rather a case to case basis for each user--i suppose.Some are happy about it, some were not...for the general users of the smartphone--its still one of the BEST things after the PALM & Pocket PC- Mobile devices technology today.

cheer up man!!!---looking at the bright side--its not bad after all..

hehehehe :) ;) :D

if GLObe or Sun telco had supported the same device---would they also release an upgrade similar to SMART? i guess they'd do...

Well, busines is business--as they say its really a DOG eat DOG mentality when talking about the wireless communication...locally and internationally.

PEACE to all users and goodwill to the makers of smartphone!!!!

arf! arf! arf! :!: :!: :D B)

Guest grifter

i don't think there will ever be an unlocked 1.50 version, using the spvunlock method that is. for one, they took out the screen that asks for the unlock code.

if there is such a way to unlock the 1.50 versions, I would think that you have to unlock it on the ROM (or even bootloader) level.

It's basically chicken-egg : users find a wy to unlock the SAP, SMART releases a new ROM to lock it, and so forth and so on.... hehe...

Guest grifter

@Xander,

the link only teaches you how to unlock a 1.50.28 rom version. But in effect, the ROM will be downgraded to 1.3.7.8.

What the majority wants is to have an unlocked ROM 1.50.28 version.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dewslat
Buti pa kayo okay lang sa inyo ako nasira phone ko nung nag update ako ng software :) kaya binalik ko sa smart after 4 days nagawa narin :-P....  nag tataka lang ako ng update ako using orange software okay naman pero doon sa update ng smart nasira phone ko.. okay na sana orange software problem lang di ako maka reply sa text :o kaya ni run ko update software nung na erase na 100% kinalas ko cable tapos binalik ko sa smart  :twisted:

Nakakapikon talaga yung mga taong taga "SMART".

Ang damot damot nila sa phone... Na peste toloy ako dahil na download

at na install ko ang update!!! Mahirap ma naman kumuha ng Fone na may

0.98 na bootloader... OK din ka Jasper!!! At least libre.. Anong bootloader

ang na install nila?

Guest Rolandml
so meron na nga bang 1.50 version na unlocked?

I'm using 1.5 version but my phone is still unlock.... I think my cell phone is unique since this is the only smartphone that have been update to 1.5 but still unlock :twisted: and it been updated from one of their wireless center :shock: :shock: