Should we get O shops to recommend this site to new users?

Guest paulmottley

Guest paulmottley

It makes sense. They could amost use it as a selling point. I for one have always used the site ever since I stumbled on to it.

Just another way to spread the word.

Personally I dont think they should, i think us orange retail staff should all be able to help any spv user or any other smartphone user for that matter and be able to advise users accordingly without the need to reference. Also, if the hardware/software was initially up to scratch on release there wouldnt be much use for it anyway. Lets hope the next wave of smartphones have the bugs ironed out so us orange staff get less grief.

Guest paulmottley

I understand that, but I was thinking of the membership or spv club angle. Sharing ideas and the custom ringtones/themes are well worth a visit to the site. Let alone all the other stuff.

I think the best points of this site are the methods to de-cert and the subsequent unsigned apps you can install and run.

Therefore I find it highly unlikely that O would recommend it to new users as they are responsible for the certification.

Just my opinion.

davy.

Guest ClintEastman

Orange have told there staff NOT to tell them about MoDaCo, if i remember somebody left Orange in relation to it (or did i dream that?).

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Afaik they didn't leave soley due to that clint :)

And i seem to remember Paul mentioning something abouit Orange linking to here from their website though...

Guest spacemonkey

It would be nice if companies like Orange had valid user forums/groups of their own that they provided moderator/support in. I don't think your ever likely to get a large company "officially" recommending an external forum such as this, which is a pity, just due to the fact that they have no control over what is done or said here. Even though this forum takes a fairly well rounded approach and bans illegal/inappropriate posting, it still doesn't try to paint a positive Orange picture (unless they do something positive :) ).

I can certainly see how support staff at Orange would become frustrated tho, they aren't enabled to provide good support themselves by Orange and then further they are banned from pointing users to a forum that they personally see as usefull. But then, from my experience this would be similar to the issues faced by helpdesk/support staff in all technical areas of life. Management/Marketing will always push ideas and cut budgets to make support staff lives a misery, again it's a fact of life throughout all companies at the moment.

Just my call anyway

Guest midnight

yeh, orange dont have a clue how to fix the problem so rather than direct them here they plead ignorance, i'm just glad i found the forum for myself, other users may not be so lucky.

Dont they understand that many handsets are being replaced, when a quick look on here may fix the problem, they would save themselves money, but dont want to be seen with egg on their face when we can help where they failed.

Guest Paul [MVP]

There's a number of issues here, like

- Orange probably don't want to endorse a forum where people can bitch about Orange :)

- Smartphones will become less and less specific to Orange, so they may not want to point people towards competitors

- Altho the forum has good contacts within MS and O, it is, and always will be, 100% independent - I have to be careful to preserve this.

What would be the ideal solution for the network? Their own tightly controlled forum? I think O France have their own...?

P

Guest Gunslinger

When I first had my phone back in November 02, i rang up orange after having problems with MMS and GPRS, they actually reffered me to this website. Somehow i dont think they will be doing it at present.

However their SPV technical staff (yeah right) are mostly clueless. As part of their staff development they should be told to spend a week on this website and get clued up.

Otherwise all you get from them is: :shock: :oops: :shock: :oops: :roll: :?: :!: :?: :shock: :oops:

Guest Big Ron - No Longer a Mem

It was me, and I got my "probationary period" extended (i.e. the time during which that can kick you out without giving a reason) apparently for commending Modaco. I've done a little research into the paperwork relating to the change in terms and conditions (Orange announcing that 156 staff will hencforth not work alternate Saturdays, but instead every third complete Weekend - an 8% increase in "unsocial hours" for zero extra pay) and conclude that my disinclination to sign the paperwork my be "not unconnected" to their deciding that my services were no longer required. It seems that the legality of this unilateral change may require (in the absence of a real union) signed AGREEMENT by the whole workforce. Orange didn't actually ask me to "agree" to anything... just waved a piece of paper under my nose specifying the new hours, and told me to sign it. I declined. Then, a few days later, I got kicked out. And a few weeks later (all the real techies having long since quit) Orange started the fiction that they were handling any but the most basic SPV tech queries "in house" rather than routinely passing them to a subcontractor. One suspects also that it's "a power thing". The people who RUN O's tech support are generally technically ignorant. How much of a threat to their position are staff who aren't?

Guest timmillwood

when i bought my phone from carphone warehouse, they mentioned about "theres some good sites online for this phone, one i have found which is good it modaco.com" so there u go...

When i phoned up 152 about when will the uk update be comming (before we had it) they said "you might of seen rumours on modaco.com but we cannot confirm anything"

T