Tips, tricks and modification by Chris Benjaminsen.

Guest Q-Rious

Guest Shire29

Yes wow what can I say.

Thx for this, I have used the encoding software for the first time, u made it simple and I know have a couple of my own home movies, stored on my phone, wow, now that is fantastic.

Would love to do the play list thingy but not sure what software I use to write .asx files and need a helping hand (an example .asx file would be cool).

I'll not post here again to keep this thing short, however please e-mail, or post another simple guide to editing .asx files.

Cheers, Shire

Guest Dr. Ralph

Hey I'm trying to work out what Chris means by:

Solution two.  

This solution I like the best.  

As mentioned the shortcut plugin will use a 16x16px large icon if there is some text assigned to the icon. So by putting the ASCII letter ALT + 255 in the you get a small icon. The selection color will look a little strange but it’s a small price to pay for a better home screen.

What the heck does he mean by ASCII letter ALT + 255 ??

I have tried very hard to work this out - but with no luck :cry:

No matter what I write in between and it shows up on my SPV's homescreen besides the small icons...please help me !

I know the RGB colors goes from 1-255 - but what he means by "ASCII letter + ALT" that beats me :?:

If you hold down the ALT key on your keyboard and type 255 on the numeric keypad, when you release the alt key you get ascii character 255. In the old days of DOS this was good for putting spaces in file names as it was just a blank character.

Guest Dr. Ralph
If you hold down the ALT key on your keyboard and type 255 on the numeric keypad, when you release the alt key you get ascii character 255.  In the old days of DOS this was good for putting spaces in file names as it was just a blank character.

Thanks for the reply :D

I now have made myself "the perfect" homescreen for SPV 8)

I got a list of 16 SMALL sized icons (which thanks to advice on this site has not got any text linked to the icons). The 9 of the small icons is visible - but you just roll the joystick to the right and the other icons will show up one after the other.

PERFECT :(

Guest Deathrow
Solution two.  

This solution I like the best.  

As mentioned the shortcut plugin will use a 16x16px large icon if there is some text assigned to the icon. So by putting the ASCII letter ALT + 255 in the you get a small icon. The selection color will look a little strange but it’s a small price to pay for a better home screen.  

Example:  

Code:  

I've been sitting for a long time, trying to figure this out.

But where do i put the file and what do i call it :?:

btw nice work there!

Regards

Silas D-P

• 3 weeks later...
Guest harrisr9

Where do you enter the shorcut xml code. I tried it in th profile xml files in the windows directory but the files kept being restored to older versions of the file. In the Orange profile I just get ? where icons should be.

THanks

Rob

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Ben_Wingrove

I tried the settings for windows media encoder, When I select the audio codec i can only chose windows media audio 9 voice, but this doesn`t seem to work on my phone any suggestions

Calendar Plug-In:

<plugin file="sysplug.dll" clsid="{865A354A-4A96-4687-B001-C155DC0DBE76}" height="60">

<background>

<format state="selected" bgcolor="#2A2CC5"/>

</background>

<conflict><format x="10" y="10"/></conflict>

//the x/y places a "conflict" icon at the specified location

<label h="16">

<text><subject/></text>

</label>

<label y="17">

<text><time/></text>

</label>

<label y="37">

<text><location/></text>

</label>

</plugin>
I have been trying to postion the conflict icon all day and have finally managed to move it. I think here is a slight error in the syntax above and also in the MSDN White Paper. I ended up using:
<conflict x="150" y="17"></conflict>

Hope this helps.

Fozzie

• 3 weeks later...

I got a 256 Mb card for my SPV, and i've got 4 episodes of Space the TV series on vid, the first half of The Royal Tenebaums film on vid, about 4 albums worth of music and 5 different versions of a Bjork video to test out the best sample rates, and the thing still keeps going. Christ these phones are barry!

Cheers for the vid compression rates Chris!

Does anyone have a quick easy method to check how much space is still available on the card, or am I just an arse?

• 1 month later...
Guest Alvin_hu

:lol: Hi Q-Rious, Chris,

After reading the post upon, I write the plug-In setting about message count as you wrote.

The purpose I want is to show MMS ( </unreadMMS> ), but it did work.

It just shows MMS() on my home screen; no unread number inside ().

Do you have any idea about my problem :?:

Alvin :roll:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest Neo1980

Which File should I be editing with the cide provided on this page?? Or is there a template available that i can edit as i am not experienced in XML ..

Help :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest isotone

Can any one help me with this? i feel like a dunce!!!

basically i want to change my homescreen to the way described, having smaller customised links on my homescreen. also i want to get rid of the web links to news/gallerysport/downloads (as is on the orange layout 1) i also would like it to show the date as well as the time on my homescreen.

i guess to start with i need to make my own version of that plugin.. i know what to put in it to get my shortcuts up but what do i rename the text file to and where should i put it?

:roll: :oops: :shock: :?:

hehe i like having gadgets that require some brainpower!!

Guest nickcornaglia

Homescreens are XML files that reference plugins in their code.

Other than the built in homescreens, custom layouts need to be placed in your IPSMApplication DataHome directory on your phone.

The built in homescreens are located in your Windows directory of your phone. An example would be "ukmspim.home.xml"

Copy these files to your desktop as examples and edit them in notepad or a xml/html editing program.

There are many examples of homescreens on this site, especially in the customization section. Try to find one that's close to your needs and work from there. Editing existing homescreens is a great way to learn how to make your own.

Oh...and welcome to the site! :)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest cgallo

Hi Chris. I am no programmer - but I too want to change the 4 home profile links that have been provided by Orange Layout 2. So is there any special program I need to change those 4 links only and were exactly do I go to change them

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest mzh-arizona

I was having some real difficulties getting the MRU plugin provided by AT&T for the MPx200 to show icons/shortcuts that I was interested in.

I tried to re-code as shown above and I also tried the registry tweak listed elsewhere but I was never able to get it to work. I searched the registry and found an alternate location which seems to have the desired effect:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREAT&TPluginFavorites

[Value]: Order

As with anything, proceed at your own risk.

As shown in the registry tweaks section, edit it to your desired shortcuts.

It has been working fine for me for the past day, and I've rebooted and sync'ed a few times just to check it.

Hope that helps.

Ron.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sameerabedi

Ok I'm a bit new to this all - even though I've had my SPV for almost a year - how do u enter these plug-ins? U provided all the codes, but I have no idea where or how to put them in, in order to use them!

Thanks

Sameer

• 4 weeks later...