Registry Tweaks

Guest midnight

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

It reverts back to default settings when you change profiles unfortunately. A way round this is to edit the ringtone script in the profile xml file (IPSMApplication DataProfiles) to the script you want. This will survive profile changes.

Guest Krille

Hi. A little bit off topic, but a pressing problem:

I need to set the IP adress of my sync PC in HKLMCommTcpipHosts for syncing with dialup connection.

PHM Registry Editor fails with "Unable to perform operation".

This section of the registry seems to be write protected.

How can I set a key there or where to find a hosts file equivalent?

Maybe Monolithix or Midnight can help.

Thx, Krille

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Hmm, you're right about the protected area of the registry, and i've never seen anything resembling a hosts file either. What do you mean by syncing with a dailup connection?

Guest Krille

On the road I need to sync my phone with my work PC to get internal mails.

I connect to my corporate network via direct dial in on an corporate RAS server, so my smartphone is directly connected to my corporate network.

Now it should be able to sync with my Outlook via TCP/IP.

(Works fine with my iPAQ, where I set the IP in HKLMCommTcpipHosts.)

The problem:

The Smartphone starts syncing and ActiveSync (on smartphone) tries to resolve my workstation Name ("workpc") via DNS to get it's IP adress and here's the point:

My work PC's network name is "workpc.mycompany.de".

Because the smartphone does not know the network domain, ActiveSync is looking for a machine named "workpc" (with no network domain), which can't be resolved by DNS. (I checked the DNS logfiles.)

I need a way to tell either...

- my Smartphone the direct IP of "workpc" (wich was an entry in protected HKLMCommTcpipHosts or a hosts file)

- the corporate W2K DNS server to resolve "workpc" without network domain (which I failed due to limited DNS knowlegde)

- the corporate linux secondary DNS server to resolve "workpc" without network domain (which I also fail due to limited knowlegde)

- my Smartphone the network domain it is dialing in

RAS dialup has an entry for the dialup domain name, but the Windows domain is named "mycompanyde" (no dot). If "mycompany.de" is added as dialup domain, login fails :?. I'm even not shure if this would solve the problem.

Monolithix, thanks for your help.

Krille

Guest midnight

protected areas of the registry can mostly (but not always) be written to if you create a cab file to install the settings, the other bonus is you can just use settings>remove programs to get rid of the changes at any time.

Guest Krille

Good idea midnight. I will try this. Just need a quick lesson on cab files.

Where do I find the syntax to write registry settings by cab files? Can you give me some coaching?

Guest Krille

Note on Looping Alarm:

To avoid battery draining when alarming unattended, infinite loop may be disadvantageous. To loop alarm n times, script commands can be queued.

To have an alarm ring three times with 10 seconds inbetween use Value Data: apw10pw10p

Ok, so we have p(lay), v(ibrate seconds), w(ait seconds) and r(epeat).

Wondering what a and c50 stand for. Found in profile xml's for rising ringtone volume : c50apw3c150r

Guest midnight

a just means audio i beleive, and c is volume, so, c50 is the start volume, c150 is the end volume, hence the 'increasing' tone, also, if you have a midi file as your ringer, the notes are copied into the Script, so you will see more commands such as t and n, but i really wouldnt worry about these too much ;)

the one i'm interested in is theres a command to turn the led on and off, and also backlight on and off, which onfortunately dont appear to work on the spv's, ah well, in a different phone maybe :)

Guest Krille

"a" might also stand for "alert". Have you tried if its for LED or screen notification?

> I tried apw10pw10p for alarm. No LED response :-(

BTW: Can you give me any help for a cab file to set registy entries, midnight?

Guest vinsanity

Can anyone help me? I did the Start Menu tweak but it only sets the order of the first four programs that I entered..I entered 6 programs into the registry..

i typed..

Inbox.Ink

Calendar.Ink

Internet Explorer.Ink

Settings.Ink

WMPlayer.Ink

Smart Explorer EN.Ink

Guest Krille

I managed to set a static IP adress in protected registry by cab file. :)

Here's how to:

(1)

You need two files - CabwizSP.exe and cabwiz.ddf - from Smartphone 2002 SDK Release 1.0, which you get here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&DisplayLang=en

(Just unzip these files. No need to install whole package.)

(2)

Create an .INF file from this example:

[Version] ; Required section

Signature = "$Windows NT$"

Provider = "myname"

CESignature = "$Windows CE$"

[CEStrings] ; Required section

AppName = "anyname"

InstallDir = %CE5%%AppName% ; Install in My DocumentsAppName

MyMachine = "MyPCName" ; <--- CHANGE HERE: Replace by name of your workstation

[strings] ; Optional

reg_path = "CommTcpipHosts%MyMachine%" ; Define string key

[DefaultInstall] ; Required section

AddReg = RegSettings ; Points to RegSettings for registry root list

[RegSettings] ; Required section

HKLM,%reg_path%,ipaddr,0x00000001,C0,A8,00,01 ; <--- CHANGE HERE: IP of your workstation as four segement hex format e.g. 192.168.0.1 = C0,A8,00,01

[sourceDisksNames] ; Required section

1 = "No CD" ; Installer wants any source, so it will get one

[sourceDisksFiles] ; Required section

none.txt = 1 ; Installer also wants a file, so we give it one. This file MUST exist in same directory

[DestinationDirs] ; Required section. Just ignore it.

DefaultDestDir = 0,%InstallDir%

(3)

Put all files and any "none.txt" file in same directory an run "CabwizSP.exe yourinf.inf". This wil generate a yourinf.cab, which you transfer and

install on your phone to have the settings written. (You may afterwards delete directory "My Documentsanyname", which is created on install.)

Happy abroad syncing, Krille

Guest Krille

Found flashing LED control script command: f

To have your LED flashing for e.g. 60 secs when received a SMS (or other notification) try

f1pw60f0 at HKCU/ControlPanel/SoundCategories/Notification/Script

f1 = f(lash) on, p(lay sound), w(wait)60, f0 = f(lash) off :wink:

Also applicable at HKCU/ControlPanel/Sounds/*/Script

Nice he? Krille

• 3 weeks later...
Guest xtacbyme

Ok I'm starting to screw things up here, not good

Bought caller2picture, and did registry tweaks w vibrate on menu popup, and loops for ringers, neither worked then took bro's phone tried to call me and picture came up, but no ringer? sound etc...?

am I conflicting programs here?

Also did your Start menu... Rocks man great job, I've tried the start programs editing, and nothing happens, I go into reg, then press donesave, go back to home and try it, then also try restarting phone, but programs don't change, also the vibrate on menu pop up still doesn't work, Think Like I said early stuff is starting to conflict! What do you guys think?

-X-

Guest xtacbyme

Well,

I'm giving up for this eve, Wufta,lol

Got most of this thing setup, still can't figure out why in the Heck vibrate menu and menu popup sound still don't work, Midnights tweaks are self explanatory, maybe I need a diffrent tweak? same w the Start menu tweak...I have reread and reread, and been in the registry, and restarted phone and no programs move? The HomeScreen tweek worked! Well thanx again all And if ya have Any ideas... I'd appreciate it

Thanx

-X-

Guest nurana

Sorry for asking this (as I'm new here), I guess that in order to do all these tweaks, I need the program RegEdit, right? If so, where can I get this program from?

Many thks to u all!!

Guest kyrkesmith

I've tried the Start Menu order edit, but it's just resulted in everything ending up in alphabetical order. I have included the .lnk on the end, so I don't know what's up.

Any ideas?

Monolithix......................

Please could u tell me if its me doing something wrong, or isnt it yet possible to save and restore an spv registry backup from the PHM options.

I am using PHM RegEditor v0.70.

I have made several backups such as Windows ce reg type but can't restore.

(If it isnt possible that way,then am I able to replace the spv regitry with an earlier backup straight on the phone from pc via ActiveSync.)

Thanks.

Nixy