Ebay's Vero Program

Guest Will

If you write software for fun, or commercial gain. and object to people selling it on ebay, please sign up to their VeRo program:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/confidence/pr...grams-vero.html

This enables you to request them to stop an auction, if it contains your 'intellectual rights' or copyrighted materials. And will prevent people profitting from your hard work.

Will

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Playdoh

Is there a comprehensive list of software for Smartphone anywhere? I seem to remember one off msmobiles.com but can't find it...and whilst Handango is good it only has logo certified apps. Be great to have a single point of reference for this ;)

Guest Chris b.a.r.f.
Well Monolithix' site offers just about every freebee app for SPV!

....with a notable exception being NotBad v.1? Hmm. Maybe Mboden couldn't be having with it being there?

Guest awarner [MVP]

But NotBad is not a free app anymore.

so promoting a free pre-release would not be fair for MBoden

after all the hard work he's put into it.

Guest awarner [MVP]
NotBad v.1 is still available for d/l from Mbodens homepage...http://www.bodenhoff.com/Spv/

I'm afraid not it was taken off a while ago.

Sadly, the freeware NotBad is gone, I still haven't found a job and I have to make a living. On the positive side NotBad is back and it's much improved.

Guest Chris b.a.r.f.

Oops.

Apologies dude (and to Mboden), I stand corrected. :oops:

(but it might be an idea to remove it from the main page?)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Hawbaget

What the heck!!!????

Are you guys a bunch of idiots??? There is NOTHING WRONG with selling software on eBay that YOU ALREADY PURCHASED. Often the complaints about this stupid eBay Vero crap is that people cannot buy McAfee software that is FAR (FREE After Rebate) and then resell it on eBay.

Selling stuff on auction sites is EXACTLY THE SAME AS HAVING A GARAGE SALE and that is exactly the principle that eBay & other auction sites were founded upon. You should be able to sell anything, even software as long as you paid for it in the first place and are not selling pirated software.

So you all need to quit complaining and whoever started this post is an IDIOT. THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOT ONE GOOD REASON why one should not be able to sell software on eBay, besides for obvious pirating reasons.

Anyone have a decent response to this? BRING IT ON.

Guest Paul [MVP]

Er, I think you're missing the point.

There's nothing wrong with selling software on eBay as long as doing so doesn't break the EULA, hence you are entitled to do so.

What exactly is the point you're trying to make... you've read this post right? It is about people selling software on eBay when they DON'T have permission.

P

Guest Hawbaget

Paul [MVP],

Like what kind of "permission" are they supposed to obtain and from WHO. Given my McAffee virus software example.

If I bought it, didn't open it, then I should be able to garage sale it out to anyone I choose and not have to worry about that reselling crap.

Guest Paul [MVP]

True, but that's not actually what this post is about?

In this instance (not that it's relevant), I think you could probably resell it. If you HAD opened it, then by doing so, you would probably technically be bound by the terms of the EULA, and hence could only resell the software if that permits it.

Strange, but true :)

P

well I must be the idiot!

re-read my introductory first post, and then consider the end of the penultimate paragraph of your post.

I posted for information to modaco users, if you want to argue the legal status of pre owned software, please post in the off topic section.

will[43468] (t9 that!)

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest Firaas
Paul [MVP],

Like what kind of "permission" are they supposed to obtain and from WHO. Given my McAffee virus software example.

If I bought it, didn't open it, then I should be able to garage sale it out to anyone I choose and not have to worry about that reselling crap.

The point Paul is trying to make is that it's illegal to sell copies of programs on Ebay when you don't have permission to do so.

In your example, it may not be illegal to sell the retail boxed McAfee, but it is illegal to make copies of McAfee and then distribute it, or make it available to download whilst you still have it installed and active.

If you read your McAfee license, it will usually clarify whether or not you are entitled to sell the software on.

The people on ebay which are referred to on the forum are not distributing their licenses on ebay - they're making copies of programs for which they have purchased licenses, and this is illegal without the permission of the author - it's copyright infringement.

Guest awarner [MVP]

Hawbaget joined to moan :? or did you have an auction blocked?

The whole point is to try and prevent scum from making profit out of piracy and and so help the authors

of the programs get the money they deserve for their hard work.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest MrCheese
Another one trying to make a fast buck ..  

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...&category=10364.

- - maverick - i've just checked out the link you posted and it looks like this person is only selling shareware or freeware programs - if that's the case then they're not really ripping people off are they????

i'm a software developer myself and if i produced a program that i was prepared to release free into the world then it wouldn't really bother me if i saw it for sale on e-bay or any where else for that matter...

thats like a chef producing a really cool Salmon pasta dish for a charity dinner then seeing Jamie Oliver selling it in his Christmas 'Cockney boy Christmas cook book'!!!, and getting a right beef on about the whole thing! :!:

Unless i'm way off the mark??? :)

Guest chucky.egg

Has anyone noticed that smartphonecinema.co.uk is now selling SD cards with the videos and MIDIs on.

I know he says "they're all available on P2P" but this is stepping beyond just providing the videos online, he's now (probably) making money out of it.

[mystic meg] I can see your future... I see a court appearance and a fine [/mystic meg]