Games suggestion list for development

Guest midnight

Guest midnight

actually, hmmm, for simplicity, kindom master is correct (for one of his suggestions :wink: ) harrier attack with up to date gfx would be a good one, simple enough to make the gfx, simple enough to code (i guess), and the timing is just right to have the game based in iraq heheh

i'd be up for doing gfx for that :)

Guest Coolboy1982
and the timing is just right to have the game based in iraq heheh

Well, no matter if you are for or against this war or simply don't care, I don't

think it is something to laugh about given that several Brits, Americans and

a whole load of Iraqis have died already, some are probably dying now, and

surely lots more will die.

You can guess what I think about the war [hint: avatar], but that's another

matter.

Guest spacemonkey

There is 1 Master System emulator out there for pocket pc called CE/gg. It is not however open source. It is free... It doesn't seem to have been developed since year 2000 sometime, I have emailed the author and suggested he should give me code and let me port it, but we'll have to wait and see.

If he gives it to me I'll do it, no gaurantees it will run fast enough tho...

Guest Coolboy1982
There is 1 Master System emulator out there for pocket pc called CE/gg.  It is not however open source.  It is free...  It doesn't seem to have been developed since year 2000 sometime, I have emailed the author and suggested he should give me code and let me port it, but we'll have to wait and see.

If he gives it to me I'll do it, no gaurantees it will run fast enough tho...

Thanks for your effort spacemonkey!

Point accepted @midnight (more or less anyway)

Guest kingdom master

SO lets think it seems we all want these

amstrad 464 emul (harrier attack)hee hee

commidore 64 emul

master system emul

i think the level of games that were available for the amstrad would be great especially robocop, harrier attack, terminator 2, wrestling amoung all the amssoft software;-)

there is a open a source emul for the commidore and amstrad dunno much about the master system.

wasnt there a neo geo handheld unit? would that port i have no idea as never played it.

KINGDOM.

Guest spacemonkey

One thing to remember, console emulators translate to a SPV paradigm quite well, cos they generally had a joystick and a couple of buttons. Computer emulators (such as amstrad etc) often expect keyboard input... not so useful for the spv...

Guest midnight

hehehe, grrr, amstrad vs spectrum hehe, that was almost like the amiga vs atari st argument:wink:

spectrum all the way, manic miner, pyjamarama, jet set willy, chronos, dizzy, chuckie egg, (oh and harrier attack) etc :)

Oh, and there is wince versions of the neogeo emulator and even wonderswan

(also a playstation emu in the works, but i cant see it emulating the gfx hardware, just the main os)

Guest awarner [MVP]

REMEMBER in the first post

any "good idea thanks" type posts will be removed so that any developers

can access this topic more easily

I will create a sticky for emulators and apps etc when I have some time

and transfer all relevent posts there.

cheers all :)

Guest okocha10

how a bout some sort of football management game, dont know if u'd be able to get champs because of all the writing, but something similar?? or a pool/snooker game?? i dont know what you guys can do, so they're just some suggestions.

Guest midnight

hell, even i could program battleships, thats why i said it was easy, i dunno c++ tho, more a vb programmer, and microsoft left that out of smartphone 2002 unfortunately :wink:

Guest fraser

GPRS Battleships won't be that easy! The game engine will be, but how do you send the message to your opponent? I don't think you can run a server on the SPV to listen for input, you'd have to have a web service somewhere to do the exchange between the users.

Can user designed software on the SPV open IP sockets? That would be a minimum really for this, unless you used a HTML interface with IE, but then you would need to poll the server for updates, as you can't "push" data over the web.

Guest spacemonkey

For GPRS battleships you could at the minimum use something similar to what snake2 uses for highscores. On the server store an id of the game. The oponent would have to choose to look for a play by you (unless it just polled every 30 seconds or something.

Guest midnight

exactly, all you need is an online server

you could even make battleships just using php and mysql, it would be clumsy, but would work

and cos its turn based you dont have to worry about lag problems etc.

Guest fraser

You would midnight, that's my point. You cannot recieve incoming connections to the phone, so you have to poll for them. This either amounts to a long delay between your opponent moving and you getting the update, or it's expensive data charges for consistent polling.

Mind you, I'm not 100 % sure that you can't actually receive incomming connections. Obviously when you aren't dialed into GPRS you can't, but it may be possible to do so once you are connected.

Guest midnight

well, the consistent polling wouldnt be expensive, its either a blank page for no move by the oppenent, or actual co-ords if they have made a move, thats using php of course.

basically, i thought of it this way, you set up your ships, your oponent sets up their ships. the data is sent to each (that way as soon as incoming co-ords have been sent you both immediatly know if its a hit or miss and less data sent in the long-run), then when you send co-ords its sent to the server. While you are waiting for the opponent to make their move you check the page every 2 seconds or something, if the page is blank it means your oponenent hasnt sent any co-ordinates, and as soon as co-ords appear the game can stop looking at the server, you then make your move, sending data to the server and so on until all ships are sunk.

thats my theory anyways :wink:

Guest HugoCode

Hello everybody, I know that this post doesn't belong to suggestions for games, but I want to remind you about some things to consider when writing games for devices like the smartphone:

You *could* use a GPRS Connection to exchange data between clients, but:

GPRS Access points are very limited (As far as I know from Austria), so in the range of one point only very few connections are possible.

Because of this, a permanent connection would be a must, else you cant ensure to obtain a new connection when you need to update data for the next game-round. Also the opening of a new connection can take severall seconds.

But a permanent connection would be very expensive for the user.

A Webservice may be a option for round-based games, but for realtime purposes forget it.

In my opinion, single player games are the only ones that would make sense until UMTS.

Guest Dave.Burn

wouldn't there be a way of doing it via infra-red(like snake2 on nokias) for a close range game, or is that to difficult to program?