NOW SPV ISNT AVAILABLE what happens with care replacements?

Guest kingdom master

Doesn't work like that I don't think - the circuit boards, although essentially the same are different shaped, and with different button configs on them. You can't just modify one into the other, remember these are mass produced in a factory and are not designed to be hardware reconfigured after production.

Gorskar,

Having just taken my SPV apart again to confirm what I thought, I can see that the phone is made up of one main PCB, with a separate keyboard PCB plugged onto it and likewise with the screen. Now, from what I've seen about the Tanager, it is roughly the same size, and I suspect that the "new" screen has come from the same manufacturer and will therefore have the same connection on it. Thi just leaves the housing and that's the easy part, making a new housing that will fit the exisiting PCB.

Who knows though - maybe Orange/HTC aren't reqorking units, but at the cost of the components on the main PCB, I'd be very surprised if they aren't.

Hax

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

The keyboard PCB in the Tanager is physically longer than the SPV's. You wouldn't be able to fit the Tan shell over it, the screen is also placed differently to accomodate the new keypad.

Guest Martin@Home
"Ron begins to learn at a geometric rate and becomes self aware at 2.27am eastern standard time".

Excert from Terminator 3!  :)

hehe... Been giggling now for well over half an hour.. Titter ;)

Guest kingdom master

MY SPV which got replaced on orange care, now has several problems

1, sends blank texts on occasion

2, answer phone icon always there, even with no messages

3, slow menu's

grrr,lol

kingdom

join the club, had first spv for 6 months, got it swapped due to left softkey failing, now have a useless heap a junk, (incoming sms kills phone requiring hard reset to get running again).

expecting courier with spv3 in 30 mins!

If this one is no better I WILL BE REQUESTING A REPLACEMENT MODEL

Will

Anyone had issues with care replacement phones? As far as I see, most people had happy situations with their original (december release) phones, only to have repeated problems with 'care replaced phones'

or am i jumping the gun

I've been very lucky it would seem - phone number 1 and since the UK update at the end of February, absolutely no problems! Had voicemail symbol stick on once, but O cleared that for me and it's not got stuck since :)

Oh and I do have a small amount of dust under the screen, but not so much that it bothers me too much at the moment - although I do think that is a flaw in the manufacturing process and units should have never been shipped like that - wonder if it's been fixed in the "new and improved" E100 :?:

Hax

Guest xanadu
Anyone had issues with care replacement phones? As far as I see, most people had happy situations with their original (december release) phones, only to have repeated problems with 'care replaced phones'

I am on my 2nd SPV which has a sticking joypad....but as the rest of it works fine, and knowing how poor the replacement phones usually are, then I think I will keep hold of this one, until something serious goes wrong.

Update:

replacement of replacement SPV occured this morning, and the sim holder is faulty..

New spv arriving tomorrow night..

JOY

Will

Guest xanadu
knowing how poor the replacement phones usually are, then I think I will keep hold of this one, until something serious goes wrong.

Don't say I didn't warn you !! (Will) :roll: :roll:

although if they suggest that i'd take it, :) IF IT WORKS

wanting an e-100....not really, i want an e-100 too of course, but i'd like to build my smartphone collection, my nokia collection is nice!

i just want a working smartphone.

Will

Guest FrankyG
IME, only non-Care customers who raise warranty-style faults within 28 days of purchase will typically get brand-new replacements. Again, if anyone knows different I'm willing to be educated  :)
Well, not in my case. I bought mine from a web trader, it completely died after the ukupdate1. I took a chance and went into the local O shop and told them 'YOUR update broke my phone!' :shock: After 20 mins of trying to bring it to life, they told me that they would have a replacement for me the following morning at 9 am. Which they did :!: It was brand new, has been very well behaved and works damn well nearly all the time. Oh, and It was way outside the 28 day period, more like 3 months.

Just wondered, Is there anything anywhere that says we shouldn't take our phones apart? Something that O could use to avoid a warranty replacement or repair. I've painted mine and just wonder what they would say if I had to take it back for any reason :?: Anyone had to do this yet? Fingers x'd this won't happen!

FrankyG

Guest stu.mcandrew

I have just finished a conversation with Orange regarding my faulty handset and poor customer service experience, I am gettting a free E100 upgrade delivered tomorrow, on the condition I sign for another 12 months (I am six months into my current contract).

My old spv developed a fault over the weekend, the carphone warehouse got me a standard spv replacement the next day. This one was also faulty, so they ordered another one. They then phoned to say they couldnt get hold of any more, and so it would have to go off for repair. I really got arsey with the CW and they still wouldnt budge or make any kind of offer, so I then phoned Orange, got arsy with them, and they made the above offer.

...well chuffed!

Stu

morpheus2702: From reading stu's post, I get the impression that it was the carphone warehouse that were unable to source another SPV, not Orange.

Care to clarify for us please Stu?

Thanks

Hax

Guest stu.mcandrew

correct, it was orange direct who have sourced me an E100 FOC upgrade.

CW managed to get one standard SPV replacement, which looked like a '14 day return' unit as it didnt come in a full new handset box.

This one was also faulty, so they tried to get hold of another one and couldnt.

I contacted the orange 'i am thinking about leaving orange' helpline, and they offered to upgrade my phone to an E100. The best bit is I get to keep the old handset along with my new E100, which whilst it is faulty, still works for calls etc...

Guest scaryscotsman

Hi, Can you get your phone replaced because of dust under the screen? I thought that that this would fall under cosmetics and therefore be exempt. Also, I recently had my phone stolen and repaced through O Care. As I understand I am only allowed one replacement per year. So does this mean if some other b*****d steals my phone then I have to go back to my T68? I also have a probllem with my replacement Spv where the back lights only ever goes partially of, would this be a warranty fault? Many thanks in advance.

Guest zenabi

scaryscotsman:

Yes you can get a replacement from Orange Care because of dust, several of us here have done that (including myself).

I'm not sure about only having one replacement per year though. I've had two already, but I could be missing your point.

Guest zenabi

jjwerrett:

I don't think you understand that with Orange Care, when you get a replacement you have to return your old (faulty) phone, unless you say the phone was stolen.

Guest squall

i dont think you would get a replacement for dust anyway, orange tell you to send your phone to hayes tech repair shop if you have a warrenty fault, who will repair or replace for warrenty faults. All they would do would be to clean the screen and send it back.