So I've got my E100...

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

... after a week away on business with the E100 waiting for me at home ... and here's my thoughts :)

Most of you have probably seen, or seen pictures of, the Tanager by now, so I won't bore you with details of that, other than to say that the joystick is nice, and the screen is AWESOME!

The Orange pack comes with all the stuff you got with the SPV, including Camera, Docking Cradle, UK and European chargers, and yes, that naff plasticky case ;)

Unfortunately, the rollup keyboard is NOT included, and is in my opinion a great accessory!

A 'TimeOut City Guide' is also included, on an MMC card.

The MMC is quite small, containing 5MB of Data, and the city guides themselves take the form of HTML pages accessed via a link that is added to the start menu.

The function guide sseem to cover most of the major cities in Europe, including the UK, and have a wealth of information including sightseeing details, city ratings, photographs and maps.

I must confess, when i saw that the implementation was simply HTML, I wasn't optimistic, but in use, it proves to be quite a useful tool, and definitely a nice freebie.

I understand the guide will be available from Orange shops for 14.99 individually....

The actual phone is a standard Tanager, with a small and quite smart looking Orange logo on the top right, and the 'SPV' logo between the soft keys and above the joystick.

On the back, above the battery, is a small E100 logo.

The SPV E100 sports a higher quality finish than the SPV, and with the exception of a tendency for the paint to come off the soft keys, is much more durable.

So the question you've all been asking... Is it worth getting rid of your SPV for?

Yes and no. Basically, it is the same phone, with a nicer keypad and screen, but oh, what a screen!

If you play games, or watch movies, you should go and upgrade now. The difference is incredible.

If you text and mail a lot, the keypad is vastly improved.

Hmmm, OK, I think i've convinced myself... you WANT this phone :D

L8rs...

P

Guest idavid

sounds very nice but considering i got my spv for free in may, it seems silly to upgrade at an estimated cost of £300. ho hum. think i will wait for that samsung number, might be waiting a long time though.

paul. whats the content like on the timeout city guide? am off to edinburgh and nice shortly and was about to go out and buy travel books, but it would be nice to have them on my phone :) do you think it might be comparable (quantity of content wise) to the books?

Guest JoelRae

Hmmm ... tourists pulling out their flash smartphones every two minutes to check their city guides ... perhaps they could be issued with "pickpocket friendly" signs as well?? :shock:

Oh well, I'm still bitter about those frikkin kids in Barcelona who had away with my wallet :roll:

Joel

Guest vijay555

Guys: coolsmartphone was saying that you can buy on the Talk 400 thing, and then reduce your tariff after a month. Anyone know what you'll pay in lieu of subsidy?

ie how much will that cost?

V

Guest Pagemakers
"]My press version doesn't have 1.5 :)

P

Can't see what the difference is really. Non-1.5 users don't hold your breath. It's not as if somebody actually listened to us and fixed all the bugs or added any requested features.

Guest Pagemakers

Don't believe that - I have a Eurotel Tanager and E100 and they are exactly the same speed. Why should the Smart be faster? It's the same....er..everything

Guest Paul [MVP]

What is being said is that the new software update improves the speed, which is true, not that the hardware is any different!

P

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.