Simple Skin, ideal for celeb images (final edit)

Guest mark_g_james

Guest mark_g_james

Hello all at Modaco,

I've been searching for a simple skin that works well with background images for a while now, but couldn't find anything to suit :D . So finally I sat down to write a simple skin, and convert some images of celebs so I can change background images whenever I want ;) and I thought I may as well share them :)

One zip file contains the skin xml, and the second, a few female celeb images that work well with it:

Alyson Hannigan x4

Davina Mccall

Holly Valence x2

Jordan

Katy Hill (of blue peter fame)

Kym Valentine (Libby from Neighbours)

Rachel Stevens x2

Installation: Copy the XML and .bmp file to your home directory, then copy any backgrounds you wish. Change the skin in your settings to basicLightText and the background to an image of your choosing (not default!).

Enjoy :twisted:

edit: I've updated the calendar display to look a little nicer, and stick closer to the left hand side :D

Final Edit: Just added all day events, and more celeb images - see further down for the celeb2.zip file.

Celebs.zip

basicLightText(Updated).zip

Davina.jpg

Guest JoelRae

Looks good mate :) but hmmmm ... quite a dodgy list of celebs!! Alyson and Holly, yes please, but Divina? Too darn shouty for my likin' :wink:

Guest mark_g_james

Yes, my taste in women is a little weird I have to admit :wink:

Here are a few more that seem to work well, zip contents are:

Britney Spears

Christina Aguilera

Gail Porter

Holly Valance x2

Jewel Kilcher

Kirsten Dunst (shot from rain scene in Spiderman)

Kylie Minogue (Love Kylie Advert)

Rachel Stevens

Sarah Michelle Gellar

Hopefully you picky people will find something in that lot :wink:

I also updated the calendar function to look a bit nicer :) see the first post for the updated zip.

Celebs2.zip

Love Kylie.jpg

Very nice Mark... Cheers.

Any chance you could add the owners name to the homepage somewhere...?? maybe really small font in the top left or bottom right???

just helps when there are more than one spv in the house :)

cheers again.

Guest Mr_Protozoa

Saif,

You can simply remane your standard profile to your name, then it will appear and you won't need to clutter up the screen with more text.

I know quite a few people who do this.

Guest Damian_demon

Just a question about this home screen does it show when you have voice mail because I recived some and it never appeared at the top left. :?:

Guest mark_g_james
does it show when you have voice mail because I recived some and it never appeared at the top left. :?:

It certainly does on my phone, as you can see from the Kylie image in post five, there in the top left hand corner there's one I hadn't deleted when I took the screenshot :)

Guest Damian_demon

This is so weird, cos I got another one today and again the icon never appeard, might it help if I re-install the home screen, because I really like this stlye and this is just a small little problem. :)

Guest JoelRae

Message icon not appearing doesn't sound like a problem with the skin mate, although have you tried applying a different skin to see whether it appears? Also, I know it's a bit of a cop out, but have you tried a soft reset?

Joel

Guest Damian_demon

tried a soft reset and i have tried other photos to see if they were hiding it but neither of these two things have helped, so I think I'll try to re-instal the skin. :)

Guest nickcornaglia

I modified Mark's Homescreen XML a bit. This pic is my pride & joy...my own little celebrity! :) This picture is clearer and darker on the phone.

I moved some stuff around a bit and made it so the missed calls fills the screen using Midnights's Modaco Skin as an example. Attached is the revised xml if you'd like to use it.

I can't write my own stuff...but I like to modify the XML that other's write. Thanks to those like Mark & Midnight for teaching us by example.

Nick

BLT.zip

joey.gif

Guest nickcornaglia

I may be a bit biased with the subject matter...but this is my favorite homescreen EVER! I was just looking at it again and you can't tell from the screenshot as the SPV screen is a bit darker...but the background is a deep grey on my phone and the text and highlights of the picture jump right out at you. Like he's emerging from the shadows! :)

Thanks guys!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest shareef

hey mark, any chance you could mod the xml so that the text is dark rather than light? I would love to use your simple layout against a light, near white image. I am a real newbie, sorry... :?

Guest mark_g_james
hey mark, any chance you could mod the xml so that the text is dark rather than light? I would love to use your simple layout against a light, near white image. I am a real newbie, sorry...  :?

I was thinking about doing exactly that :o hopefully over the weekend sometime :)

Guest mark_g_james

Ok, here's a version with dark text, hopefully that should satisfy most images :o

Same install as before, just copy the files from basicDarkText.zip below to your home directory, select it in settings, along with the background you'd like to use...

I've also put a few homescreens in a zip file that kinda work with the darker text, see the example below, and some more that work with the lighter text :)

Dark Text Images.zip includes:

Kylie x2 (same image, different zoom)

Chrisma Carpenter

Light Text Images.zip includes:

Anastacia

Angelia Jolie

Chrisma x2

Drew Barrymore

Louise Wener x2 (buy her new book, The Big Blind, now!) :wink:

Sarah Michelle Geller

ps. I've also fixed the size of the date, so now you can see the loop of the g in august. The zip for that is in the first post of this thread.

Light Text Images.zip

Dark Text Images.zip

basicDarkText.zip

dark text.jpg

I may be a bit biased with the subject matter...but this is my favorite homescreen EVER! I was just looking at it again and you can't tell from the screenshot as the SPV screen is a bit darker...but the background is a deep grey on my phone and the text and highlights of the picture jump right out at you. Like he's emerging from the shadows! :o  

Thanks guys!

That's a great photo encece. Bet he's glad that there's no resemblance! :) :wink:

Guest AngelOfRage

i may sound dumb but which directory do i put these files in? i put them in the first windows directory (with the other .xml files) but every reboot looses the files....