Hello newb here, want one bit of advice on my new phone

Guest e100spv

Guest e100spv

hi,

great site, i recently ordered an spv e-100 which should be here by the end of this week. everywhere ive searched for spv this site returns in the results. had a look around and used the search for a lot of immediate questions i had about the phone and found out all the answers.

This topic is more general though. im aware that the early spv's had a lot of issues with software/firmware. i can see there are plenty of seasoned smartphone users on here so i wanted to ask, if theres one piece of advice youd give on owning /using a smartphone what would it be ..?

also is there a usenet binaries group for smartphone software?

What A Great Idea!! I've stickied this to make more people post.. :!:

If you are doing something with the phone, read about it first, read the screen/help files on the application, and read the thread about it on here.

And if it says, do not unplug/reboot now/press this.. DO IT! :shock: don't think you know best, you usually don't :)

Will

Guest MoRFLeZ

Hmm my best advice would be to take frequent backups, because it will go wrong at one point or another...

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest FrankyG

Buy a 256Mb SD card and reader :!: Right now, I'm copying 100Mb of Music onto my card, a 2 min job. Also got a couple of hours of French lessons, all my programs and funky ringtones/alerts on the card. Bigger IS better :wink:

Guest skinnertim

My single biggest tips would be to install a) smart explorer (or similar) and :) task manager (or similar) - these are essential programmes to a) allow you to navigate the file structure of the phone when not attached to a PC and :o to see what is running (and turn programmes off) so you don't end up with a snail in your hand instead of a phone (Get this MS - virtual memory management does not work - comprendez?)

Both of these are available free for unlocked phones from www.monolithix.org (and elsewhere)

Have fun! :wink:

Guest superflysi

After arguing the toss with Orange over £100 quid monthly phonebilss and my T68i being a pile of s*** they are sending me a new E100 .... if anyone is after one hurry as they running low on stocks ........

cant wait to start playing

(sorry MECX sent you pm by accident)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest drblow

If you are using Windows media player alot for playing mp3's etc - download the excellent playlist creator from monolithix.

It will create a playlist file in your programs menu, & when you click on that, media player will open 100 times faster than it usually does!! :wink:

Guest ridpath

The two main newsgroups for the Smartphone are microsoft.public.smartphone

microsoft.public.smartphone.developer

As for the one piece of advice, well that's a bit more tricky! Few things:

- regularily switch your handset off/on, at least once every two days keeping the battery detached from the handset for thirty seconds or so.

- look at http://msmobiles.com/article.php/37.html for Smartphone FAQs

- get some cool software from www.handandgo.com (select Smartphone)

Enjoy!

ridpath

Guest awarner [MVP]
regularily switch your handset off/on, at least once every two days keeping the battery detached from the handset for thirty seconds or so.

Err why? never done that in 9 months of having the phone and would not

recommend it either :? The only time the battery gets removed is when I

have run an update or made the phone freeze by messing around with it.

PS Welcome to the site :)

Guest Pixeled

Hi :)

I'm new to this site, and I also came here by searching (google) for SPV and Smartphone. I've also ordered a SPV, and I should receive it within one or two weeks. I've read through this forum a few days and found some things that will really come in handy.

Buy a 256Mb SD card and reader :!:  Right now, I'm copying 100Mb of Music onto my card, a 2 min job. Also got a couple of hours of French lessons, all my programs and funky ringtones/alerts on the card. Bigger IS better :wink:

I think this would really come in handy! ;)

Where would one get such a card? Is it for sale online (since I also ordered the phone online) or should I just visit the local phone shop?

Guest awarner [MVP]
Where would one get such a card? Is it for sale online (since I also ordered the phone online) or should I just visit the local phone shop?

Look in www.ebuyer.com or ebay

Prices start at around £45 + delivery for a 256MB card

Guest Pixeled

Thank you for your reply, but I couldn't find it there.

I have found another site though, the CoolSmartPhone Shop.

Now this leads to another issue :)

I'm very interested in buying a flexible keyboard, but at the site of the manufacterer I read the SPV needs his ROM updated. I searched for a ROM update for Dutch SPV's but I couldn't find one! Is it not yet available, or do Dutch Orange users just use other ROMS (such as the English)?

• 3 weeks later...

Before you even consider buying software, download GnuBoy, SPV-Man and SPV-Invaders. Hours of gaming fun for free! You'll need to de-cert your phone though, so I guess this is really the second thing you should do.. :wink:

Guest simonbratt99

wow your right, spv man and invaders are cool, thanks for pointing them out.

GnuBoy? do you need to download roms too? if not where are the emulator games?

si