HELP!!! I might have a virus

Guest awarner

Guest awarner [MVP]

Hi all

-Here's a nasty little one for you to think about.

I have Zone Alarm installed plus two different up-to-date virus checkers

but... something is deleting my .exe files ALL my .exe files including the un-install ones :? from all of my programs on my main hard drive, when I mean deleting I mean totaly disappering, gone!!

Unless I've had some very bored but tidy hacker (nothing in the recycle bin) what could it be except a virus?? I can get around this problem by drag and drop from a back up or reinstalling but this has gone too far.

No one has any ideas so it's up to you my fellow members, can you help me PLEASEEEEEE

Guest awarner [MVP]

It started to happen about two weeks ago.

The only recent program installed (apart from spv related stuff) was Mozilla but as that was downloaded from the main site it's unlikely to be that.

The other strange thing is that when i copy the missing .exe over and run the program, Zone Alarm questions the the app i.e Winamp as if its the first time it's come across it? So it looks like Zone alarm loses it's memory as well.

The plot thickens :D

Guest awarner [MVP]

Also the only common thing between all the programs is that they are on my desktop and installed on my main drive.

The only two programs that are an exception to this rule are MS Outlook and ActiveSync.

use AdAware and check for adware on ur drive - some are pretty nasty... not much else i can say if you used NAV (latest) and N.Internet Security (blocks connections when suspicious/unknown)

Hi.

I assume you have done a scan of your hard drives......

Visit http://www.sarc.com (symantec Antivirus site) and spend some time searching for your symptoms.

This does sound like a trojan has allowed a hacker in.

Files deleted from remote drives will not go inot the recycle bin (check to see what drives you are sharing out and stop/change the shares).

Also ensure that Microsfoft file sharing is NOT enabled for your dial up/internet connection - the OS help files will tell you how to do this.

Good luck!

Guest awarner [MVP]

Thanx all for your ideas

I have Ad-aware (one of the files with missing .exe) copied the exe over and nothing found and I have done a complete scan of all my drives :D

Tried to install the 15 day free trial of norton2003 but I presume that

my other anti-virus software needs to be deleted first as on restarting all I was getting was the famous blue screen of death until I restarted in safe mode and uninstalled Norton.

I have not seen anything on the norton site about my problem (bit rushed for time at the moment hopefully over the next few days I might get some free time) also as far as I know all file sharing is diabled.

Thanx again and anymore ideas are gratefully accepted

Ashley

I used to use Zone Alarm Pro but found it wasn't really up to the task it claimed it was! I have since been using Norton Internet Security and as far as the internet is aware there is no computer attached to my Internet connection :(

This is obviously a good thing! I would recommend uninstalling Zone Alarm and using NIS as it is far superior even though it is a bigger program. Having done that and ensured your PC is secure I would double check your shares and then as a last I would remove NAV and install a more up to date copy even if it is a trial version!

Be sure to run the Live update and perform a complete scan of ALL files including zip, etc! You can then be certain you have both a secure and clean PC.

Failing that get in touch with Symantec and explain the symptoms and they should be able to help.

Good Luck :D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest awarner [MVP]

Had to do a complete format of my main drive :cry: :cry: :cry: as Nero would not work. Slowly getting things back together :?

What's everyones view on Norton software AVFirewall etc, as I always seem to hear mixed reports about bugs affecting other sofware and causing crashes etc. As it's ment to be the best and I would like to have the best can anyone let me know their viewsexperiences with Norton so I can make a better decision before I fork out £70

Cheers all and have a happy New Year

Guest Minister

1) Why were you running two anti-virus checkers??

2) Forget about zonealarm, use tiny online firewall or outpost which are much much better - beware thou, you need to read the manual fully for outpost and should know what you are doing.

Tiny Firewall : http://www.tinysoftware.com

Outpost firewall: http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/

(I hope it is ok to post these links)

3) If you are downloading stuff form the internet e.g. mp3s, make sure you have all the microsoft updates. I hope you heard about the mp3 Vunerability, and have downloaded the appropiate patches.

More info: http://www.foundstone.com/knowledge/randd-...lay.html?id=339

Norton Anti-virus is a good package so i would stick with it (2003 is the latest one).

4) Always run Ad-aware from time to time, popups on web pages can even install GATOR!

5) Good luck and happy new year :D

Guest awarner [MVP]

I was using two virus checkers as the first one did not pick up the problem so I thought two are better than one (some times) but not in this case if it was a virus :D

I do use ad-aware all the time but I also use spystopper an excellent bit of kit. http://www.itcompany.com/spystop.htm (you can find it a few dollars cheaper else where)

which makes ad-aware redundant even though I still do double check with it.

As for Norton AV PCworld have it for £70 with a firewall as well so if I do buy it I might as well use that firewall.

Cheers for your thoughts