GPRS Dialling Sticking Poll

Guest Pagemakers

Guest Gorskar

it does on mine too - i couldnt sayh how often in the last 10 connections, but probably at least 1 in 5 times it does.

It does it on both my SPV and my new e100

he he he :)

I have to make myself laugh about this now, or else I'll smash my phone into tiny little pieces!! :twisted:

Mine is as bad as ever (I voted for every time, coz I havent been able to stay on the bloody thing for days now!) - except now with the e100, I can sometimes connect, but when I get onto the first page, it sticks at connecting...!! Even at the Orange news page, which usually worked on the SPV if I could get it to connect in the first place.

You've gotta hand it to Orange over this, it has to be the single worst service I have ever found myself paying for!! & I don't think there is really any point anymore in crying at Orange (or at Paul & the mods here to get Orange to sort it out) - it is DEFINATELY a network problem. I had this confirmed by a series of snipits of info from 156 where they were telling me the details of responses from tech support about my gprs which they weren't really meant to tell me about. Suffice to say that tech support know rightly that I am in a gprs 'black hole' (see, they even have a term for it) which means there is no gprs node to cover my area - although they claim that there are 'routes' available - but they don't seem to work, do they??? :evil:

Basically I think that they know I will never have a good gprs connection where I live, but they refuse to actually tell you that, coz that would mean admitting that they are charging me (& several thousand other people in 'black holes') for a service which it is physically impossible for them to deliver, coz they don't have the necessary network in place.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!

Guest cyrilthefish

I'd say about a third of the time it'll stick.

But it seems completely random, signal level seems to have no effect on the problem.

sometimes it can be fixed by switching the radio on and off, sometimes by shutting down IE with task manager, sometimes by both the previous and sometimes only a complete reboot will fix it :shock:

Guest beersoft

I think mine sticks every 4th time i connect, and then it sticks for the next 3 attempts (well it did yesterday in the beergarden)

GPRS sucks on my phone, but it still works better than the dsl i have at the office

later

Owen

no beer and no tv make homer something something

Guest Mike Wagstaff

In London, I wonder if it's a bandwidth issue. Maybe it's just my imagination, but I seem to get far better performance at the weekend - today, for example, I was able to connect first time virtually every time (and yes, I was in exactly the same places that I normally am on a weekday). Anyone else noticed this?

Guest Pagemakers

Interesting that so far (08/09/03 10:50) only 19% of users connect without problems. So 81% of people have some sort of GPRS issue and a third of users have major problems connecting.

Guest morpheus2702

I gotta admit, since Thursday night the service seems to have improved for me amazingly. Ok still get the occasional stick, but more often than not it connects after 30 seconds.

Spent the weekend down at Mersea Island (off Essex coast) and it was great to experience using the Smartphone the way it was meant to be - checking news, e-mails, browsing. I was smiling ear to ear. :)

Guest Pagemakers

Dont know why but I can't help think that the phone has something to do with it. No other Orange phone I ever owned stuck like this.

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest beersoft

Hi

I know we covered it somewhere else, but i think its due to the simcard and orange homing you to a perticular cell for gprs.

my SPV does gprs quite well when it feels like it in most places. Its good in Wellingborough where i pretend to work, good at home but sucks sometimes in Milton Keynes town center (the beergarden@ the spoons by BP), and my mates sucks everywhere but his house.

mine even works in the server room at the isp hosting my servers (its my box, im root) which is in the sticks somewhere in leicester:)

its all a little "roll a six when you sign up and have working gprs, else moan all you like because the big O won't do anything about it"

later

Owen

"another fine post, look, on topic and no moaning about orange support being monkeys"

Guest nickcornaglia

Im not under Orange...I'm in the US under T-Mobile....but mine sticks almost everytime. Sometimes I need to restart my phone for it to work. I hate GPRS! I wish our CDMA/1xRTT Networks here come out with a decent Smartphone with a camera SOON!

mmm... dunno why, coz CS still havent touched my gprs as far as I know, but my gprs has been excellent for the last 2 days! connects 1st time, finds pages quickly, stays on!! i can even do this - Posted from my SmartPhone!

I'm from Holland so I'm on a different Orange network but I had the SAME problem in France on their Orange network ......

for me, what helps every time, is when I click a link (or favorite) and it starts dialing, if it doesnt connect within say 20 secs., I just clikc the link again, it starts the dialing procedure again and then it goes through without problems ...

Although I have to do this for EVERY link .. :)( .. thus I answered 1 in 2 sticks

Guest Pagemakers

It a shame the phone wasn't smart enough to think...hmm been dialling for 20 seconds, I will disconnect and re-try.

Now (09/09 13:22) the poll shows 64% of people fail to connect to GRPS at least 50% of the time.

Still, only 40 people voted so far (18:29 9/9/03). I thought the problem was much more widespread than that!!

Mine is still good! Whatever it is I just hope it keeps happening!

Maybe it's the colour of the pants I've been wearing for the last few days ... :)

Guest Pagemakers

None of the polls on modaco get HUGE responses despite the very large user base.

Come one guys (and gals), cast your vote. It may help to change things for ALL of us.

Guest beersoft

I don't think orange understand how anoying the problem is.

i have called and asked why does it stick dialing and been told i have crappy signal, when i told them "err, im as close as possible to the bigest transmitter in MK, i have enough signal" they kind of blame some techincal problem with the cells or some other random crap.

there are 2 types of support you can get from orange, the "we are having problems, try later" types and the "GPRS is like magic, it might work but if your not {random item} its not going to work"

im going to stop before i wander off topic and rant again

later

Owen

"iMsgLen = GetWindowTextLength(ghMessage);

_sntprintf(szMsg, ARRAY_LENGTH(szMsg), TEXT("%d"), iMsgLen);" - from hello_sms.c its a textmessage counter

Guest barrybryce

I'd been thinking it was just me until I saw this...

I didn't phone Orange until I'd tried to connect to my e-mail on the same day at different places right across the central belt of Scotland, including through Glasgow and Edinburgh and along the M8, the sort of places you should get a signal!

They asked for a couple of postcodes I'd been through and said there were quite a few sites down in those areas. Do they not have enough people using GPRS for it to be worth their while maintaining them? Or would that just be the traditional tech support "Dunno - p off." type reply?

Guest beersoft

The problem orange have is all there support people keep blaming there network which we think is held together by gaffer tape and elastic bands :), in my old job doing isp tech support (hi pipemedia) the number 1 rule was "we don't have any problems" which worked quite well apart from the crappy mail server which BSOD'ed every hour, we kept the punters happy doing the odd reinstall or reboot while we fixed things.

with orange its

"pants they are moaning about stuff i haven't a clue about and i cant find my elbow, let alone my arse i know lets blame the network for an obvious software problem, that will get them off the phone to me and i'll close the ticket and we are happy again"

instead of the better soloution which is

"yes sir, we have seen this problem before with the smartphones, im not going to lie to you but i don't know if there is a software update in the works to fix the problem, yes we understand that the key features of the phone are net access i will esclate this to the technical department, and you say you have tried the gprs access with a {generic nokia pos} with your simcard and it doesn't have the problem, i'll note that as well, thankyou please call again"

must stop....................starting to rant

later

Owen

"what there is no dial tone, i'll call bt and order some more"