SPV2 vs. MPx200 vs. New Mitac

Guest londonlad

why not wait till they actually exist, in any practical form... both are probably a month or two (if not more) from release, and we can only speculate on the most specifications!

personally, the MPx200 though... :)

yeah, i know. the thing that appeals is the smaller size. i dont even like clamshells, but the c200 is looking like being pretty fat. plus, am not very fussed about the camera.

idavid, fair enough if your not bothered by the camera but what about bluetooth and Smartphone 2003 software?! Wouldn't u love to use broadband on your phone from anywhere in your house? ;)

If the Motorola had Smartphone 2003 with a built in camera and bluetooth then there'd be no contest ;)

were there not noises about a second version of the motorola with some of these features to be released after thios one??

Guest Mr_Protozoa

SPV C200

A decent camera (al last) and bluetooth. Like the man said, 600k access in you palm. Fantastic.

Is the c200 actually getting the processer upgrade or not? I've heard mixed info.

The moto looks nice, but it's not got all the 'extra stuff' i want. It'll sell well tho. Normal people will buy it.

Guest Jasonkruys

SPV 2 quite simply cos of the built in camera. The motorola has an sd card one, which in my eye makes it useless as you will soon fill up the memory on the phone. Bluetooth is a plus too ;)

Gotta say SPV2 too, coz of the camera, SP2003 and Bluetooth ... It is, however, quite a shock that it still uses the 132mhz CPU ... A damn shame to ruin an otherwise PERFECT phone :cry:

Maybe Ill pass it and wait for the Mitac Mio 8390, the ASUS (if it ever actaully materialises) or the updated Motorola with a built in camera/bluetooth/SP2003.

Any one of those would make me a happy bunny. I gotta admit though, I do think out of those mentioned I like the styling on the motorola the best. The updated motorola would probably be my first choice!

Guest morpheus2702

Were you to mate the phones, you'd get something approaching greatness... Smartphone 2003, integrated camera, Bluetooth, 200MHz processor, funky design

As it is, we've got two phones that both have compromises!

SPV C200 - if we are to believe the rumours, same old processor as before (so same amount of eggtimer on screen)

Mx200 - no BT, no integrated camera, Smartphone 2002

Still, we'll all lust after them, whores that we are...

Guest casper508

SPV2 for sure.

Reason: all the best features in ONE place (finally) and I hate clamshells.

But as for the specs, i'm with morpheus2702. Specially since the name/pic in the catalog is misleading.

Cas

Guest Monolithix [MVP]
Sorry Mono, but is this from the same source that said the latest update was round the corner?

When I see it, I'll believe it!

And which source did you get the rumour of the same processor from?

As for the 1.6 fiasco, right up until the day of the meet we were under the impression that it was being released. Either way that's now in the past.

The SPV2 will definately have a faster processor, and i will stand by that ;p

Guest morpheus2702

Oh come on Mono, who are you trying to kid?

The whole debate about whether the SPV2 does or does not have a faster processor has been raging for weeks now, not only here but in any of a number of Smartphone sites.

As far as I am aware, you are the only one putting their neck out and saying it will have a faster processor. Fair enough, but I've seen nothing to confirm or deny this.

And its just my own view that it is better to be a pessimist when it comes to all things Smartphone/Orange. That way, you don't get disappointed!

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

I used to be like that, but found that theres no harm in a little optomism, especially when Mr Orange himself told me the CPU will be faster. I am inclinded to believe him this time as i think rejecting a faster handset for a slower one is a little beyond even Orange's past history.

I remember the rumour of the slower processor starting on this forum, its not too much to believe that it will have spread to other sites by now, 4-5 weeks later. But that is all it is, a rumour.

As i said, i will stand by that. ;)

What's with the fascination with Bluetooth and integrated cameras? You all say you want Bluetooth, but hardly any of you have a practical application for it. Both I would consider to be pointless unless you really are the sort of person who uses either....what could bluetooth be useful for in a Smartphone? Wireless activesync? What's wrong with the USB cradle...? What else can you use it for? Just how many other bluetooth devices are out there anyway? Why not just use infra-red instead? The Nokia's have real good compatability with the SPV's infra-red...you can rnasfer contacts...oohhhhh! Integrated camera? Euck! Never use it.

Guest morpheus2702

On the face of it Spike, I have to agree. It was the same when I got my T39... nice to know it had Bluetooth, but did I have a single pratical use for it? No, not at all...

But know, I've noticed that more and more devices do have it, and I think that will be the trend. Not that i will lose any sleep by not having Bluetooth, but it would be handy on occasion.

Same with the camera - if someone had said even 3 years back mobile phone with camera, I would have said 'ok, what about chocolate teapots'. Its a novelty to have, but I'm starting to count the occasions when a sudden photo opportunity arises... and either I don't have the camera attachment with me, or by the time I've snapped it on and the phone is ready, the opportunity has gone.

I just think that technology doesn't answer many needs... you just find uses for it.