gps

Guest ndavey1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest zoul1380
Hi

Is there ever going to be a gps program for the smartphone? I really need sat nav so i can drive without getting lost.  I dont really want to buy an ipaq as I love my smartphone and it would be great if it could do this.

Cheers,

Nathan.

try visiting this site: GIS NETCENTER

That looks like a good deal!!

I'm tempted. Anybody know how good the GPS receiver is with this kit?

What's it like in comparison to the TomTom receiver?

The Copilot GPS unit is ( I Think) a rebadged Emtac.

I have the Emtac, it is a very good unit, take a look at http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/menu_gpshardware3.php for hardware reviews.

By the way, I prefer Copilot to TomTom, but it does seem to be personal prefrence. They are both very good, but at the moment TomTom does not run on C500. A patch is due soon.

Cheers

Rik

By the way, I prefer Copilot to TomTom, but it does seem to be personal prefrence. They are both very good, but at the moment TomTom does not run on C500. A patch is due soon.

From what I've read about the two so far they are both much of a muchness (whatever that means!) with the exception of:

Menus - TomTom's is graphical based and seems to be more liked/intuitive by some people, than CoPilot's text based menus.

On screen images during use - CoPilot's have been better optimised for the Smartphone than TomTom's (less clutter & clearer?).

Mapping data - CoPilot uses Navteq's mapping which is said to be more up to date/accurate than TeleAtlas's used by TomTom.

That's what I have read into the various discussions across different sites which could of course be complete pap! I'm just waiting (I suspect along with many others) for a side by side comparison/review :)

Thanks for the info guys.

I'm edging towards the Co-Pilot, but like most people, will wait for the TomTom C500 patch to see what people think of that.

To be honest though, I'd much prefer the Fortuna receiver because of the renewable battery. I don't fancy having to replace the receiver whenever the battery packs up.

Is there likely to be a software-only release of any of these?

Thanks for the info guys.  

I'm edging towards the Co-Pilot, but like lost people, will wait for the TomTom C500 patch to see what people think of that.

To be honest though, I'd much prefer the Fortuna receiver because of the renewable battery. I don't fancy having to replace the receiver whenever the battery packs up.

Is there likely to be a software-only release of any of these?

Ive had my Emtac 2 years now, battery still OK. It is li-ion, lasts 8 hours, and unless I am mistaken, the best battery type you can get.

TomTom only comes as a bundle, as the software is locked to the GPS, but Copilot comes as bundle or software only.

This is one of the reasons I have Copilot, I already have an Emtac GPS, and the Parrot CK3300 with built in BT GPS, I didnt want another.

The Tomtom or Copilot GPS unit battery will last a long time, dont let that sway you. Look at the reviews of the software, and make your choice. Paul is planning to do a comparision of Copilot, TomTom, and Orange's own version. Might be worth waiting, I coudnt :)

Hope this helps,

and remember, which ever you choose, it sould get you where you want to go. Both do the job very well.

Rik

Fozzie, I was just lookin for that section on the globalpositioning site. You guys are just too good :wink:

Am I right in thinking it's all one price regardless of which receiver I go for? The price doesn't change when I select other options ("Our Price: £204.21 (£239.94 incl. VAT)

Yeah, it does help rikwebb!

You've cleared up my concerns over the battery issue, now I'm just havin a hard time stopping myself from getting my hands on the Co-Pilot!!!

In typical 'Farther Ted' style........

Go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, ...............

You have to ask yourself, whats the worst that can happen?? £138 down the pan!, Ive spent more than that on a night out!.

It all depends on how patient you are, and lets face it, most of us arnt, we are tekheads, otherwise we wouldnt be sat here typing! :roll:

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Rik :wink:

You had me almost reaching for my visa card there :)

I think I'm gonna go for it anyway. Like you said, that kinda money can be spent easliy in one evening. I just wanted to make sure I didn't go for a system that did a poor job of what it was supposed to do.

I think I can buy in confidence since you guys have first hand experience.

Cheers.

Now that I've sorted that I think I'd better go to bed :wink: