Cool things to do with your smartphone

Guest mattscholey

I can confirm that the Tutorial in the advice section works a treat to convert to Windows Media format - although a little choppy in places.

I am currently watching the new series of Friends... guess thats not illegal either! :wink:

Guest stu_lowe2003

So where are the purchasers of all the new apps that come out?

Anyone use theirs for pda functioanlity?

I personally use it for the occasional bit of gameboy emulation and for watching transformers (what the designers obviously had in mind for it). Tried pocketscumm on it but found it a little tough to control.

Stu

Guest mattscholey

Thats one thing I've realised reading this - no one has said they use their phone as an organiser, although that is what Microsoft (having watched the video on the Motorola mx200 on cnn.com) seem to be selling the phone on.

Matt

Guest morpheus2702

I use my E100 to run my life - and as important that is, I couldn't real describe it as 'fun', just something that has to be done!

Be specific about what this thread is about -

What people are using their Smatphones for?

Or the cool things that make us smile and makes others go 'wow'?

• 3 weeks later...

I've often thought that the "wedge" end of the normal SPV (where the Infared is) would act as a good weapon should i get into a scuffle! Held in the fist pointing downwards - it could make you a formidable opponent!

I would probably run away first though!

Guest mattscholey
I've often thought that the "wedge" end of the normal SPV (where the Infared is) would act as a good weapon should i get into a scuffle!  Held in the fist pointing downwards - it could make you a formidable opponent!

I would probably run away first though!

It's certainly heavy enough to do that

Matt

Guest glynton

Well i spend about an hour at the beginning of each University Term converting my timetable onto outlook. So where ever i am i know where i need to be next and at what time. It's eventually taken over the whole 'Organising' of my life. Every lecture, lab, meeting, band practice, footy match, rugby match, part time job hours, night out and gym session goes straight into the phone.

By the way i also use the voice recorder quite a bit when i come up with an idea, or a new set of lyrics. :)

On a serious note, i did use my SPV for something good!

Took the kids down to London to go on "the eye" and put all the information into the SPV.

I had the London Tube app to plot my route across London.

Maps of directions to Hamleys and the London Eye - basically JPGs from the respective websites - copied to my phone and browsed using IA Album - which was excellent as i could zoom in and scroll around the pictures. Very handy for finding the way around.

Even took a few pics from the top of the eye with the SPV and sent one via MMS to my parents who picked it up and texted back comments by the time we were back on the ground. I will post them if anyone is interested!

Checked the live departure boards for train times back as we sat by the Thames eating ice cream.

Very helpful indeed! :)

I am waiting for my Mitac to arrive through the mail. One use I am considering is to purchase a TV Tuner card for my PC, and then use it as a VCR.

Record shows I want to watch but am not around for, and then transfer them to the phone for watching on the train to work. Does anyone use the phone for this purpose? Or is there some issue that I am missing that makes it not possible.

Laser, thats possible, you would probably want to convert the video to your preferred format (DivX=PocketMVP or MPEG=PocketTV) and optimise it for playback on your phone but its not at all hard!

I do not understand why more people do not use their PC to record TV shows if it is possible. Looking at TV tuner cards, it appears that you can record directly to MPEG format.

It seems a much better use than ripping a DVD (that takes forever). I have tried searching these forums, but not seen anyone that records TV shows for their SPV.

Guest mattscholey

If you want do what laser wants to do with his phone, then I'd recommend this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B...3466417-0759012. My dad has one for watching programs on the train. He's a TV executive so needs to watch a lot of tapes, so he plugs this into a VCR, and just hits play on the VCR and record on the device, and it records the tape to the device. The qualitys almost DVD, and the screens great. It's a great gadget but it's not cheap.

Matt

I do not understand why more people do not use their PC to record TV shows if it is possible. Looking at TV tuner cards, it appears that you can record directly to MPEG format.  

It seems a much better use than ripping a DVD (that takes forever).

DVD quality is much better than captured video. The cleaner a signal is, the better it recompresses to DivX etc. Plus, the problem with computers is that many folk don't even realise half the things that you can do!

I've stopped watching live TV pretty much all together myself, except maybe the news. I don't have a TiVo or Sky Plus or anything like that; I just download shows from the internet instead. Watch what you want, when you want, months before they come out over here. Some friends of mine had downloaded and watched the entire series of Enterprise before the first episode had aired over here!!

Times they are a-changing in the world of media. Mmmmm, progress!!

That gadget looks good, however it adds a gadgetto your pocket. Sure, you could also carry an ipod for mp3s (greater storage space), and a pocketpc for the net (larger screen), as both achieve their purpose slightly better than an SPV, but that is the point of a Microsoft smartphone, to carry 1 gadget that does it all.

I do not think that the comment many folk do not understand what their computer can do holds true on here, after only reading the site for a week, I can see their are many geeks on here. Certainly no issues understanding what a PC can do.

The best use ive found for my spv, along with JabbaTheSlut is to enter our uni timetables into the organiser and then our phone tells us when we have to leave the pub for lectures! Genius!

Also, pr0n is always good

i read a harry potter ebook on it, it was veyr easy. i also use codewallet to store all my websites ftp info so i can access my sites from any computer i also have notes in codewallet and credit card numbers, i love that program.

i read a harry potter ebook on it

I've read all five on my SPV. :wink: Presently reading the classic "A Brave New World" by Alderous Huxley, which is in the public domain, PM me if you want a copy.

What I like about eBooks are their relatively small file size, you can carry about 5-6 books in the space it takes for a single music single.

Any links to free eBooks would be appreciated...most of the sites that come up when you google aren't exactly free.

Guest mattscholey

How many (rough%) of novels are released on eBook. I've never really heard much about the format - never thought you could buy Harry Potter on it (is this actually from the publisher, or some guy whos just typed it up).

Matt

One of the big problems with eBooks are that there are many formats, each designed to stop you changing the format. There is no official "eBook" format, each reader software page has it's own. I know of MobiPocket and Orneta Reader for the Smartphone, I quite like the former, you can import HTML/RTF and TXT files.

There are loads of sites selling them, lots of choice. Just Google for the name of the book with "eBook" in the search string.

Guest JoelRae
Project Gutenberg seems to be a good place to start - they have plenty of "public domain" (i.e. free, I think :wink: ) eBooks, although they're all pretty old (and hence out of copyright)... still "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" aren't to be missed!!!

Guest JoelRae
Most Project Gutenberg e-texts are public domain. You can do anything you like with these--you can re-post them on your site, print them, distribute them, convert them to other formats.  

Some Project Gutenberg e-texts have copyright restrictions. You can still download and read these, but you may not be allowed to reproduce, modify or distribute them. When browsing or searching on the site, you will see these copyright-restricted texts indicated in the listings. For fuller information about them, download the e-text and read the header of the file, which will spell out the conditions in detail.

So there you go 8)

although they're all pretty old

LOL, brilliant. As I said, I'm reading A Brave New World right now on my SPV, and I just got the bit where they say that old books are banned because they are old!! (no profit in it)

The world of literature is one that hasn't been corrupted by Disney's copyright lawyers. It's ironic, Disney fight tooth and nail to extend the film copyright laws everytime "Steamboat Willy" is about to enter the public domain. Yet, they are more than happy to pillage the public domain of literature for their films, such as the recent remake of Treasure Island!!