Update on the 1.6 Build

Guest Mr Orange

Guest Mr Orange

A quick update on the availability of the next build of software for both SPV and the SPVe100.

The build was made available to Orange at the end of last week and is currently being tested, if all of the testing goes well I expect it to be made available for download in Mid Nov.

I have made a copy available to the moderators so that they can also give some feedback both to Orange and to the forum.

Also their is an intresting article on the SPVe200 which can be found on the CNN website.

CNN report

Guest Paul [MVP]

I'd just like to clarify that the mid november date is to allow the software to go through the relevant official testing procedures before release.

P

Guest Paul [MVP]

OK, so we can talk about 1.6 now...

Radio stack = Fantastic! No more Dialling...

Speed = Definitely the fastest SPV build yet

Reliability = Seems to be rock solid for me so far

An update WELL worth the wait, and a definite improvement over the last build of 1.6 we had, so I personally am very glad O chose to wait!

P

PS Oh, and yes, the SMS counter works ;-)

Guest www.msmobiles.com
A quick update on the availability of the next build of software for both SPV and the SPVe100.

With all due respect but nothing else than upgrade to Smartphone2003 is interesting to me. I legally own Orange SPV that I bought for my own money in year 2002, and I think that I and many other users deserve full upgrade to Smartphone2003.

I have met Mr Orange from Orange in Switzerland at ITU conference (he is the main boss of Microsoft smartphone at Orange) and he told me "hi". He looked however very angry at me. Sorry Orange folks but if you wll not provide Smartphone2003 upgrade to existing owners of SPV phones, I will continue bashing your company a little.

We, PAYING CUSTOMERS, deserve full upgrade to Smartphone2003. Nothing less. Smartphone2002 doesn't have .NET and that's why it is absolutely critical to provide such upgrade. Will you, Orange?

Guest podavies
"]OK, so we can talk about 1.6 now...

Radio stack = Fantastic! No more Dialling...

Speed = Definitely the fastest SPV build yet

Reliability = Seems to be rock solid for me so far

Free Stuff = A few little DAT Applications, IA http://smartphone.MoDaCo.com/viewtopic.php?t=7065>Task Manager and IA Space Maker (hurrah!)

An update WELL worth the wait, and a definite improvement over the last build of 1.6 we had, so I personally am very glad O chose to wait!

P

PS Oh, and yes, the SMS counter works ;-)

Does Messenger work on this build

Guest Simon Desser

FAO. Mr Orange / Paul & other Mods.

Does the update leave your IPSM in tact, or do you have to do a hard reset :?:

Andy (Mr Orange) told me at the meet that the next update would erase your IPSM, but they were looking into some kind of PC based back up and restore :?:

Thanks

Simon

With all due respect but nothing else than upgrade to Smartphone2003 is interesting to me. I legally own Orange SPV that I bought for my own money in year 2002, and I think that I and many other users deserve full upgrade to Smartphone2003.

I disagree! ... When you bought your SPV you were fully aware that it was running SP 2002. Orange has improved on the orignal specification by fixing bugs and adding couple of small things, which is what I would call a "required level of customer service"... Making SP 2003 available would be to going way beyond the original specification, which, of course, would be a good thing, but I don't see it as Orange's duty to do so...

Anyway, Im happy to finally get some concrete information about 1.6 ... So, thx Mr. Orange and Paul :)

Guest www.msmobiles.com
I disagree! ... When you bought your SPV you were fully aware that it was running SP 2002. Orange has improved on the orignal specification by fixing bugs and adding couple of small things, which is what I would call a "required level of customer service"... Making SP 2003 available would be to going way beyond the original specification, which, of course, would be a good thing, but I don't see it as Orange's duty to do so...  

DON'T BUY MICROSOFT SMARTPHONE POWERED BY

SMARTPHONE2002 SOFTWARE. Smartphone2003 has many many advantages over

Smartphone2002 and it is a lie that you will be able to

upgrade any smartphone to this OS.

It is like buying a PC computer and later on learning

that right, it works with WindowsNT 4.0 but you can't run

WindowsXP on it, despite the fact that other PCs with the

very same processor speed can run Windows XP.

Yes, maybe there is no "duty" - legally speaking - but trust me - Orange will lose many customers if it will not provide upgrade to Smartphone2003 for existing owners of SPV and SPV E100.

Guest Paul [MVP]
Does Messenger work on this build
It will do by the time you guys get it :-D

Does the update leave your IPSM in tact

I couldn't say i'm afraid, because I flashed it to a brand new phone :-(

P

Guest chucky.egg
... nothing else than upgrade to Smartphone2003 is interesting to me....
We, PAYING CUSTOMERS, deserve full upgrade to Smartphone2003. Nothing less. Smartphone2002 doesn't have .NET and that's why it is absolutely critical to provide such upgrade. Will you, Orange?

Jeez, I thought you'd gone.

So let me get this straight. You (and I, for that matter) bought a phone that doesn't support .NET, but now they've made one you feel automatically entitled to get your phone upgraded.

We'd probably all like 2003, but show some manners and stop demanding stuff that you're not entitled to. It's embarassing to share a forum with you IMO.

Guest chucky.egg
"]

I couldn't say i'm afraid, because I flashed it to a brand new phone :-(

I've never upgraded before, so excuse the ignorance, but how do you "FLASH" the phone?

Do I do it myself, or take to a dealer, or what?

Guest www.msmobiles.com
So let me get this straight.  You (and I, for that matter) bought a phone that doesn't support .NET

It is NOT only about .NET but also about significantly improved Pocket Internet Explorer. We cannot download Opera browser and work it around. We need to upgrade to Smartphone2003 OS to get it. Smartphone2003 OS also increases 30% the overall perfomance/speed of the phone.

All paying customers are entitled to upgrade to Smartphone2003.

Hooray!

:) :lol: :( :lol: :D :lol:

With SMS counter.. !! :shock: Brilliant.

Mid November... :? Hmm... My contract is up for renewal mid november. If this long overdue upgrade is all it's cracked up to be, maybe I don't need an E200 after all :wink:

Now, where's that upgrade of IA Album that we've all been waiting for?

Guest Richie M

Anyway, Im happy to finally get some concrete information about 1.6 ... So, thx Mr. Orange and Paul :)

Exactly Crispy :(

msmobiles try and keep on topic please :D this thread is about the upcoming 1.6 update not for you to reiterate your thoughts on a Smartphone 2003 upgrade :roll:

Guest midnight

JPZR, thats complete bull, you are not ENTITLED to it at all, how do you know it even works correctly on spv/e100?

i would presume (just a guess) that one of the reasons for upgrading the e200 to 32mb rom/ram is to improve the spces of the phone to fall in line with the 2k3 OS. No-one actually made any promises about offerning 2k3 as an upgrade they said it MAY happen, not WILL happen, and that was mentioned a long time ago, long before 2k3 was finished.

and what the hell kind of comment is that to say don not buy a phone with ms smartphone 2002, i thought you wanted to help the smartphone community not hinder it. Windows Mobile 2003 has only just been introduced in the form of the dopod 515 and will soon be availble to Orange customers through the e200, does that mean that people in the states shouldnt buy the mpx200 or the i600????? good way to contradict yourself m8 :)

Guest www.msmobiles.com
Windows Mobile 2003 has only just been introduced in the form of the dopod 515 and will soon be availble to Orange customers through the e200, does that mean that people in the states shouldnt buy the mpx200 or the i600????? good way to contradict yourself m8 :)

:roll: I don't know about people in USA. I was speaking for myself, that I need Smartphone2003. Maybe apart from me nobody needs :oops:

And yes, it is on topic, :idea: because I thought that "middle November 2003" Orange will already provide an upgrade to Smartphone2003 but they are still updating just the old Smartphone2002 software.

Guest Paul [MVP]
because I thought that "middle November 2003" Orange will already provide an upgrade to Smartphone2003

What on earth gave you that idea?

Orange have always been quite clear on their position with regards to 2k3 (i.e. a business decision has not been made whether to roll 2k3 yet)

P

Guest Maverick
"]I couldn't say i'm afraid, because I flashed it to a brand new phone :-(

P

To Paul and the other mods who have the 1.6 update, Does this update cause any problem on a phone which had an imate update previously?

heh heh... Now that O, at long last, come out with an update..

Guest Richie M

:roll: no operator has said they will be providing a 2k3 upgrade :? so why do you expect one? let alone "need" it :roll:

If you had brought a PC with WinME on it and a year later WinXP came out, would you demand an upgrade to WinXP?!

Guest beersoft

i can just see that working, here have the latest version of windows for free because the last one was full of bugs

{wavey lines location PCWorld }

PCW saleweasel: "can i help you"

Me: "yes, you sold me this PC 5 years ago, and i want the latest version of windows on it"

Salesweasel : "that will be £130 please"

me "no, i paid for windows98 when i purchased this pc, i want windowsXP for free, as its just a bug fix"

Salesweasel (looking franticly for security) : "no sir, you will need a licence for windows xp, you only have a licence for 98"

me "RANT RANT RANT"

security guard: " please calm down or i will have to get the police envolved"

everyone : scuffle

{/wavey lines}

yep, that would work

later

Owen

"free upgrades all round"

Guest www.msmobiles.com
"]What on earth gave you that idea?

Orange have always been quite clear on their position with regards to 2k3 (i.e. a business decision has not been made whether to roll 2k3 yet)

P

my mistake :oops:

I can therefore assume that we can't expect smartphone2003 upgrade from Orange for SPV in year 2003. ](*,)

Now PPCW.Net is the only hope to get it...

Guest Maverick

Ah.. Can we all now come back to the topic please. :evil: .... which is the SP2002 1.6 update..

Just a quick question to Paul... What does Space saver or whatever actually do?

Guest nytehawk2002

I have questions, hopefully someone can shed some light on it for me.

I am a US T-Mobile customer with an unlocked SPV. How will I obtain this update? Will it re-lock my phone? I also just discovered today I have a Funky rom Version. 1.5.0.3 I see no mention of this anywhere. How is this possible?