CHINESE

Guest spv_dman

can i ask a question?is it true that you prefer to be reffered to as "chinese" than "intsik"?i have friends kasi who get offended pag "intsik" ang tawag sa kanila.para sakin kasi,"intsik" is just a tagalog term for "chinese".any thoughts or justifications for this?curious lang ako.thanks!

Guest chia_7285
can i ask a question?is it true that you prefer to be reffered to as "chinese" than "intsik"?i have friends kasi who get offended pag "intsik" ang tawag sa kanila.para sakin kasi,"intsik" is just a tagalog term for "chinese".any thoughts or justifications for this?curious lang ako.thanks!

Well, you are right on teo things there hottee.

First, about the tagalog term for 'chinese' is 'instik' in translation.

Second, some 'chinese' don't like being called that.

In my opinion, I guess the reason why some chinese are offended by the term is probably by the way it SOUNDS. It really sounds offensive, hindi siya 'cool'; don't you think? It has a negative feel to it. As for me am ok by the term 'instik'.

So, fellow chinese if us guys don't like being called 'instik'; why don't we just think of a term we can substitute for THE word.

Specially Pinoys are most welcomed to participate since its our language too!

Guest fergiem

I'm not Chinese but speaka di lingo, and am dying to be able to use Chinese characters on my phone - is it possible, what OS do I use and can I switch back and forth from English?

Cheers

Fergie

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mmirando22

:lol: count me in.

I am half Filipino and Chinese. I speak the linggo. mandarin and fookien. I do agree- "intsik" for some has a negative sound to it. I came across a new paper with the word "chinoy" also not a good choice of word. I feel those words has a racism attached to it. Why not..... Filipino-Chinese. Its a good representation of overseas chinese staying here in the Philippines. Dont you think?

8)

Guest mar9118

You are right must even be Filipino-Chinese, we are mostly Chinese by blood but carries Philippines passport and speaks tagalog fluently ;) for the word "intsik", from what I have been told it should not offend us Chinese because, it was a term given by our ancestors when they were asked by the filipinos in early times what to call them, they said "din chiek" or your uncle when translated so anong masama sa word "intsik" :lol:

Cheers!

Guest sweetyls
just a thought, shouldn't it be chinese-filipinos?

that's the correct term if you claim your being a Filipino over being a Chinese. So parang adjective yung word na "Chinese" sa noun na "Filipino" - A Filipino who happens to have some Chinese blood. this was explained to me by a Chinese-Filipino friend.

i'm not Chinese.

Guest mmirando22

Chinoy could have derived from the combination of Chinese-Filipino with a twist by Journalists. For me it does not sound good either.

I would prefer - Filipino-Chinese or Chinese-Filipino as a more acceptable term for overseas chinese living in the Philippines.

Guess you are right, we should not be offended by the word "Instik" term. Well, i grew up with the phrase "instik" word being laugh at and prejudiced. Like hearing the word "instik beho"- which means mabahong chinese. "instik!" with a loud laugh!

Guest aldousbee

"beho" came from the word "viejo" I think it is spanish for old. Some experts say that it does not necessarily mean "mabaho"- tawag lang daw dati yung sa mga "old chinese men" - Intsik viejo = Intsik beho

• 1 year later...

whether you are chinese or not, or how people refer to you or not, it makes no difference if you know who you are. face it, you are all just insecure. get over it, you bicker like a bunch of 8 year olds.

• 2 weeks later...