E200 Battery Life

Guest adambern

It just needs a better battery. Period. 

All the software Tweaks in the world will never make the battery life acceptable.

That inspires us all! The original battery life on th SPV was rubbish too, but the 1.35 update helped, and I don't know if the 1.61 update improves battery life, but I think I read that the 1.7 SMART update gives another 20-30% battery life, so surely there is some hope out there?

Please let there be hope, I really want to get an e200 and then have it patched up to have better battery life (as do we all I assume?!)

Cheers

Chris

Guest Pagemakers

My power settings are set to dim the back light after ten seconds. It works at first but after the phone has been on a while the screen doesn't dim for thirty seconds or more.

I have noticed this happens after you have opened the inbox program.

Not conducive to long battery life.

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest Smartphoner

How could we organise us to ask for a solution?

Shall we adress Orange, Microsoft and HTC? (I've just sent a serious mail to HTC now)

Maybe we should make a plan to be stronger, we need a solution!

Please, ideas are welcome, and actions are needed!

Thanks

Guest Leo_dee

I was disapointed with the battery life when I first got my E200. It seemed worse than my E100. But after using it for a few weeks now and completly discharging it before recharging it a few times it seems much better, about the same as the E100 really.

Guest Leo_dee

It was fully charged in the office during the day last Friday. Had it on standby all day Saturday, made a few brief calls on Sunday afternoon and had to put it on charge Sunday evening.

Now this is an issue where I thought that Mr Orange would give a comment - perhaps a clarification about whether it is a hardware or software problem.

Myself, I think it is a software problem like we had when the first SPV's were released (before the 1.36 update).

Probably some debug code left running or not powering down unused parts of the processor when idle - the usual sort of embeded programming "school boy" errors normally made by those used to writing software for PC's :lol:

EDIT: Thinking about it, the internals of the E200 is very similar to the SPV/E100, but with the addition of integrated bluetooth and camera, both of which whould have been implemented as "peripherals" that can be turned off when not in use. And, as the battery power rating is the same as the SPV, there is no reason at all why the E200 can't give very similar battery life as the SPV - it surely *has* to be software related...

Hax

Guest Pagemakers

I don't see it as a software problem. The battery is not good enough on the SPV, E100 and E200.

Lets stop pissing around the bush and give us a proper battery, not tweaking the obviously underpowered existing one.

We want 5 days to a weeks life (even that's not a lot by Nokia standards). Not a pitiful increase from 10 - 13 hours!

Guest Smartphoner

I found this in the Motorola MPX200 forum, from Stu:

Post subject: Re: Battery life - what sort of standby time are u getting?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I fully charged all of my smartphones and then left them running without charge for a full day and night. In the morning this was the result:

MPX200 : Main batttery at 67%

Treo 600: Battery at 91%

SPV : Battery had 1 bar left

E200: DEAD, flat battery

What do the SPV series do that other phones don't when they are idle?

But very pleasing news on the MPX200, shows its not the OS.

Stu

I'm surprised at that SPV time - mine would last about three days if just left (if not more)

Actually, come to think of it, my SPV was sat in my bag from Wednesday night until the following Monday and had not been touched and was still switched on - bleating about a low battery admittedly, but still, that's about four days of battery life there...

But yes, I agree that the software is doing something to hammer the battery life...

Hax

Guest johnsoanes

I got a replacement E200 recently after complaining about my original E200. I charged it for 24 hours with the new sim in place but not yet activated. Following that I then left it off charge for 48 hours still unactivated. The display showed "network denied .. searching" for all of that time. It ran for a full 48 hours!! However after activating the new sim and being connected to Orange battery life dropped to 20 hours without using GPRS, bluetooth or making any calls.

No idea of the significance of this but I thought i'd share it.

Guest Simon Desser

After 3 weeks or so with the E200, my battery life is still appauling :evil:

Without turning on bluetooth, and "hardly" any use, it's lasting about 14 or 15 hours on stand by. This isn't even enough to get me through a full day if I leave early in the morning, and come home late at night :cry:

I'm about to speak to Orange, but wondering whether I should be asking for a new battery, or a new phone, or is that the kind of battery life other people are getting too :?:

Guest Simon Desser
Simon, I think that's about as good as it gets mate.

It's such a shame :cry:

I used my P900 today, left bluetooth permanently on, used it a bit, and at the same time my E200's battery was in a dangerously low state, my P900's battery was on 88% :shock: :!: :!: :!:

I have had my E200 since release and the battery life seems to be slowly improving. I am in the US at the moment, from a full charge the phone is going for 15 to 20 hours and still has three bars left. Wondering if using a 1900Mhz network could be making any difference?