Orange scupper Smartphone gamers with the E200

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

Breaking News:

The SPV E200, Orange's new flagship Smartphone device, is constrained with a 4 directional joystick, as opposed to the 8 way controller featured on the original SPV and SPV E100.

This is terrible news for gamers, as the 8 way controller is quite simply vital for a large number of games. Our readers have already confirmed that xRick Dangerous is unplayable, Total Soccer suffers from having no diagonal movements, and further posts are reporting similar issues.

In addition, development of the eagerly anticipated fighter 'Kumite' has been postponed for the E200 device, with development continuing only for other handsets.

More information on this story as we get it...

kumite_modaco.jpg

Guest Syphon Filter

its silly of them to have done this but can keys not be remapped to say the keypad instead of the stick, ie using 1,3,7 and 9 for the diagonals? Is this perhaps the excuse to switch to the P900 i was looking for??

Please say this is not true! I've not got a E200 yet... but gaming would have been one of the priorities!

Is there any chance it could be a software issue meaning that the s/w is not recognising diagonal movement?

Guest rhaleuk

Yes, I noticed this also. Mini Super Bike is uplayable. I can live without an eightway joystick, but it is baffling that orange appears to have taken this step backwards whilst gaming. Im sure it makes navigating menus easier though.

Seems that (suprise, suprise, Cilla!!) Orange have not really thought it thru!

I'm thinkjing about upgrading to the e200 - but with the amount of complaints about it so far (only after 1 week) I'm now reconsidering!!

took quite a while to notice this rather huge bug didnt it.

Glad i didnt jump and buy a E200 now although i think the improvements outweigh this loss (although i dont play many games on my SPV)

shame on orange for screwing over developers and not telling them of this change ](*,) =D>

Let me get this straight first, As far as I know no digital joystick/pad has eight switches, they have 4 and make a diagonal out of 2 switches, i.e. up and right together to give diagonal up/right?. So are you saying that the stick on e200 can't make the 2 switches together? or that the phone software is not acepting a signal from 2 switches made together?. If the later is the case an update should be able to sort it. If the stick can't phisically make 2 switches together then obviously we are screwed.

Hope I haven't got that completely wrong :oops:

Kevlar

Guest Paul [MVP]

We are trying to clarify at the moment...

The software definitely isn't receiving the two at once (despite the fact it can detect the two soft keys together no problem)...

P

Guest midnight

8 way is just a term used for pushing a joystick in 8 directions, meaning that if you had a character on screen you can move in 8 directions aswell. We are running tests to see if its hardware or software thats at fault.

It does affect a lot of games though, beatemups, shooters, rpg's, footy games the list goes on :lol:

Guest FrankyG

It's just not all that good is it...the whole E200 package :!: Ok, so it does have lots of things that work...AS THEY DAMN WELL SHOULD DO :!: :!: ...there's just too many things which don't work, or don't work well enough to be enjoyable. My decision is now made; I WON'T be buying E200, not until the dust settles and(IF??) many of the raised issues are addressed by Orange/MS/HTC. Such a pity, they really should have done better. Missed oppurtunity :?

Guest Bunchie

I can definitely see a lot of MPX200's being sold now! Thats definitely a good thing (i'm not biased at all :lol: ).

Seriously though, I really hope that this gets sorted out one way or another as I can see a lot of Smartphone games developers pulling out of development if they can't make games on devices like this.

Guest midnight
Another thing to note about the E200 package is that it does not include the carry case that came with earlier SPV's, that's nearly as bad as the D-pad thing

errr, i think diagonals are a little more important than some case no-one used anyway :lol:

Guest chucky.egg

Funny thing is that I came to this thread having read the VNUnet assessment that Smartphone was going to brush Symbian aside.... not if things like this carry on it wont!

I know it's not MS's fault, but this is yet another example of the SPV variants being not-quite-good-enough.

I only ordered an E200 because I got tired of waiting for the Messenger update... but that's another (long) story

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.