Orange scupper Smartphone gamers with the E200

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest RobMiles

I got an E200 because it has a really cool purple light under the keys (and because I want to write .NET stuff). The joystick is the only thing that I don't like about it. I much preferred the "jewel" in the SPV I used to have, which you could use when the phone was in the case.

From my limited twiddling it looks like it is a mechanical issue, in that the hole the joystick is fitted in is cross shaped, not a square. This means that you can't push the joystick down when it is accross.

For those unsure about upgrading though, I'd say go for it. The pros far outweigh the cons, and doubtless the games will catch up in the longer term.

do you think that this would be means for me to bring my phone back???? as one of the main uses of my spv is to play games. this along with the really annoying buzzing noise when in a call, i aint happy!

I don't wanna be Mr picky here, but......

and I'm completely prepared to be wrong/hung/shot etc

I thought some of the mods here had E200s for testing. If, as it now appears (after I've bought my E200 :evil: ) it's full of bugs, shouldn't they have been found before? Or maybe the Mods just had demo sets not for testing. Or... maybe the retail units are different.

Certainly somebody should have found these bugs. Maybe we should all return them as "not fit for the purpose"

Slightly off topic:

My T9 hasn't played up at all yet.

I don't wanna be Mr picky here, but......

and I'm completely prepared to be wrong/hung/shot etc

I thought some of the mods here had E200s for testing. If, as it now appears (after I've bought my E200 :evil: ) it's full of bugs, shouldn't they have been found before? Or maybe the Mods just had demo sets not for testing. Or... maybe the retail units are different.

Certainly somebody should have found these bugs. Maybe we should all return them as "not fit for the purpose"

Slightly off topic:

My T9 hasn't played up at all yet.

I hardly think that it's down to the mods to be responsible for the testing for MS, HTC and Orange

each company should have their own people to do this

if they are found to be relying on the mods that would be madness

Guest midnight

no, we didnt get e200's for testing (only 1.6 update for testing), i think I for one would have spotted this instantly if i did (our latest game kind of relies on diagonals) :lol:

I ran straight out to buy the e200 as soon as i could because i had read so many good reviews of it from various places before it came out, if only the reviews had covered these problems and i wouldnt have even thought about getting one, not blaming the reviewers, just its a shame its turned out the way it has

Guest beersoft

Dude, this sucks

What where they thinking ??

now who rushed out and spent all my pocket money on one :lol:

i think im going to get the moto now and curse flip phones for a bit

Later

Owen

"why would you want to go down and across at the same time, its just stupid" - HTC design chaps

Guest midnight

in my opinion yes, there is no excuse for this, it worked on the spv/e200, compal got loads of flak from developers about their handset not having diagonals, so O/HTC should know better, i just cant wait to see the excuses, O will blame HTC, HTC will blame MS and MS will blame O :lol: (my personal opinion is HTC are to blame, cos it does look like a hardware issue), but the problem is, where is the testing?

Guest toadvox

Well I think thats done it for me. I was about to upgrade to the E200 and now I think I'm gonna pass. It's all too much hassle what with these bugs appearing on the E200 and the 1.6 update mess. I love my SPV, but I think I'm gonna go with a P900 or a Treo 600 or something. I cant be bothered to wait for the MPx220 (or whatever it is), and the MPx200 just doesnt have all the features like the camera and bluetooth.

Oh well.... something new I suppose.

Guest Maverick

Should have been Orange. Maybe they are too busy testing the 1.6 update (which, btw, they havent released yet :evil: ) that they didnt have time to test the E200. :wink: . I wonder what Mr Orange has to say on this subject

I am sure "E300" will have the 8 way joystick :roll: .

My SPV e200 is waiting for me at home. Previous to ordering (friday) all i could do is look forward to getting it, settling down with a few good games, syncing it with my rather busy outlook to have my life in my pocket and enjoying the upgrade to my old 6310i. Now all i'm thinking is orange are going to have this phone back by the end of the week and i'll order a p900...

That said i'm actually going to give it a good few days useage before making up my mind, everyones opinions are so negitive at the moment hopefully i can bring some positive as i've been after an spv since they first came out but have been holding off for the camera. It's got a good amount of personal hype to live up to!! (also i'm a MS junky so that should work in it's favour)

jon

All this BS makes me go all nostalgic. It's just like when the original SPV came out and was full of bugs. But there can be no excuses this time. They've had the time to get it right. They know what went wrong last time and what we - the paying customers - expect.

I hope Orange and Microsoft and HTC are all ashamed.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I won't expect an apology for being misled into buying something faulty, as their customer service stinks.

Guest midnight

e200 is still a mighty good phone, and really this is the only bug that affects me, but it is also a serious one. How the hell are we supposed to make really good quality arcade games without diagonals? screw it, i think we'll just make more bejewled clones instead, or maye a card game or two, afterall, this is a business phone right? and not one for the general public? and business men dont enjoy arcade games only card games right?

The camera function of the phone is great i'm really impressed with it, i'm also really impressed with the bluetooth and overall speediness of the phone, but its really important that i can play my games on it well (for instance have u tried pocket scummm it's totally rediculous trying to move a cursor when u havent got free movement, and i'm frightened that my hearing will get damaged by the distorting speaker too.

What do you recon are the chances of me getting my money back or getting it replaced for either a treo or a p900??

Guest Syphon Filter

this seriously blows...i have until thursday to phone up orange and say i dont want this handset anymore...i tihnk i will give it a couple of days...see if any other issues arise

this seriously blows...i have until thursday to phone up orange and say i dont want this handset anymore...i tihnk i will give it a couple of days...see if any other issues arise

I upgraded. :cry: No 14 day excahange for me :evil:

Guest police_chief_wiggum

You all keep sayin that the E200 wont play SPV Classic/E100 games because of this so called "fault" yet has anyone spoken to Orange Customer Services about this problem?

i'm assuming not because if you did they would be able to tell you that SPV Classic /E100 Software is NOT compatible, you have all made the assumption it will be.

I will be upgrading from my SPV Classic to an E200 in Jan as i had already decided to. 8)

I upgraded. :cry: No 14 day excahange for me :evil:

I used orange upgrade too (£149.99) and was told on the phone i've a 14 days period to decide if i want the phone. If i keep the phone i'm stuck with orange for another 12 months (which isnt really an issue). Give them a call, you've nothing to loose...

jon

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.