Do you like the Mpx200 and if so Why?

Guest stillwaiting

Guest stillwaiting

Hi everyone, I was one of the early Spv owners, and i have loved owning this phone but the issue of portability has caused me immense problems. (Carrying it in your jean pocket always brings the highly amusing quip" are you just pleased to see me or is that an spv in your pocket") At which i always reply " just pleased to see you actually".

Anyway getting back to my point, my 12 month contract is drawing to a close and i am looking at the mpx200 as a possible replacement for my beloved movie playing spv. Which qualities, and i'm sure there are many, have made you glad that you made the decision to get the mpx200 instead of the e200.

At this moment in time the size of the mpx200 is the biggest factor for me, the Spv always felt a little cumbersome when using as a phone- lets face it, it's a brick isn't it! :lol:

Any comments for or against would be most welcome. :shock:

Cheers

I'm no longer waiting - so shouldn't i change my name to something else.

How about anticipating :shock:

I've had my MPx200 for about a month now. Best feature is certainly form factor. I've always preferred the flip phone and this device makes excellent use of a decent sized screen and nice keys.

Performance wise it works great. Some wait icons from time to time (especially when synching) but this seems to be the same or less than other smartphones.

Overall, I'd buy it again.

Downsides:

1) Battery life. If you start playing around with mail and stuff, the battery just sucks dry.

2) No bluetooth. I hear a rumor this will be added later, but it's not there now. I haven't tried the little SD bluetooth cards, not sure if they're supported on SmartPhone or not.

Guest FrankyG

Ok, I was in the position as yourself. Reading on this forum led me to conclude that the E200 had many bugs/annoyances depsite being a well equipped phone. That, and factoring in Orange response times to release updates (based on SPV/E100 experiece) made me decide to go for the MPx200.

I MUCH prefer the form factor of the MPX, it's got a real good feel to it, quality. It's also running a proven, and now pretty stable SP2002 OS. It's much quicker than my original SPV and I rarely get the egg timer delays. I played with an E200 in an Orange shop, and in practice, it wasn't any quicker than the MOTO. Bottom line; they're both pretty quick, for me anyway. Really, how much of your life are you going to waste waiting for the egg timer - not a lot wih either the E200 or MPx200 :?

If I had NEEDED Bluetooth and a camera, then the choice would have been much more difficult. And for E100 users, I expect the move to a Mpx200 wouldn't seem like much of an upgrade. As it is for me, I got a good deal on the Motorola, even if I mothball it after 4 months I'd still be happy with what I've got from it. I say 4 months, as I believe there will be an updated Motorola around that time, so I may well upgrade again at that time. Maybe I'll need a camera and bluetooth by that time...hmmm.

I'm very happy with my Mpx200, I would probably also be happy with the performace of the E200, but aesthetically, it does nothing for me. Each to their own :lol:

As regards battery life, you won't be disappointed as an SPV user! It's been suggested to remove IA Caller ID from the phone (which there's no point in having installed on a flip phone) which notably improves battery performace. It's heaps better than my old SPV...and light years better than the E200 :wink:

HTH

Guest FrankyG

Forgot to mention that it's no problem to listen to music and surf/write mail at the same time-exactly what i'm doing right now!

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest shimmip

I upgraded from the SPV myself, and the things I love most about the phone are the build quality (outstanding), the size (nicely small but with adult sized buttons), the form factor (never had a clamshell before but it protects the screen nicely and makes a great *snic* noise when fully opened or closed), the design, the improved GPRS connection (rarely gets stuck on dialling) and the battery life. I actually do use caller ID and have the open phone answer switched off because I like to screen calls and prefer to see the person rather than squint at the external display (especially after a few beers) and plus its a neat trick. I've had girls giving me their phone numbers so I'll put their pictures on my phone and that can't be a bad thing ;-) And on that subject, although the phone feels quite "blokey" it's been admired a LOT by ladies about the office and down the pub. Again, never a bad thing. Despite using the phone fairly heavily including games and browsing And also having caller Id on, I still get through the day with a couple of bars of battery left where the SPV would have been dead.

I love this phone.

Guest opbyrne

The best features of the MPX compared with the E200 are:

Build quality

Battery life

Not crashed yet!

Who else has a black phone?!

Good quality speaker for handsfree and MP3

Bad features:

Almost unusable rollerkey for voice dial (who cares...)

Black is hard to keep clean!

I used to have a camera phone and nearly didn't get the MPX because of the lack of camera but in truth i dont miss it - its a bit of a gimmick. Buy this phone!

My girlfriend has the original spv and my mpx is lightyears ahead... it looks cooler, its better built, and the most useful of all is it can be charged up from any computer with a usb port, all you need is a usb cable and you can get a retractable one of those from ebuyer for £2.50!

Guest shimmip

Oh yeah, I meant to point that out. The black external case does show greasy paw prints quite badly, so you end up compulsively cleaning it so it looks GOOD!

Guest mattosj

Love the phone, but hate

1. crappy implementation of "tasks"

2. non existent implementation of "notes"

3. limited and annoying beam receive/transmit

I'll upgrade to the MPx220 in a NANSECOND.

As a phone, it totally rocks despite the above.

Guest adamski

I get my mpx in the morning!!

I have 2 mobiles, my other is a SE P800 so I am looking forward to comparing the os.

I will miss the camcorder doings on the p800 BUT it will be nice to have a reasonable sized phone again!!

IF i like it I will get the 220 late spring and sell this on....

SOOOO has anyone else gone Jabra bluetooth? Bought an sd camera?

I am a VERY sad gadget freak so I wonder what Santa will bring :shock: :lol: :D

Guest adamski

Well, it came!!

Set it to charge and had a read of the manual, looked pretty simple.

Loaded the software onto my lap top and plugged in.

Criminy was THAT ever easy :lol:

All my contavts and appointments over in seconds!! Dropped a couple of 3meg music videos onto the card too, just to see if it would work.

This phone. at first days assesment, is in most ways superior to the P800 I have. It is remarkably easy to access content, programs and contacts.....Gripes? OH for a camera!! oh and a touch screen.

Good to have a phone with no rucksack requirement though :D

After a 2 weeks the only problem i can find with this phone,is the USB cover on the base,I just know im gonna lose it!

I can see why they didnt go for the same cover as the SD/Headphone socket,it would take a large chunk out of the base of the cradle but i think they could of been a bit more creative ,maybe a sliding cover?

I think i've got about 3 more weeks of charging the phone before the fit becomes too loose and it'll just falls out.

Shame its the only thing that stops this phone from being perfect.

Guest Drewtech

I got my phone two weeks ago as an upgrade for my V66e. I also have an iPAQ 3850 PDA. If I can get a GPS for the MPx200 then I won't need the PDA any more. Having a phone with all my contacts, all my appointments and all my tasks on it great. I pick up the odd e-mail and I can check the soccer scores - no problem. I have always preferred clamshells (hence the V66) and this is the coolest looking phone (alright it shows finger marks but so what). Even my partner likes hers and she hates gadgets.

The main downsides are the voice-dialling button is pretty hard - I wouldn't like to try it driving - and the external LCD is hard to read when the backlight is off. However, this is the nearest thing to my perfect gadget.

I really need a carkit though.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest boyo69

Hi everybody

I'm new to the mpx200......upgraded from SPV to SPV E100 to mpx200 (yep, I'm a gadget freak !)

love the mpx200.....have seen much mention of short battery life but I can honestly say I have hammered it with calls, email checking every 30mins etc and still getting between 1.5 to 2 days before a recharge is needed.........much better than the SPV's

love the phone, not sure we could ask for more ! :)

Guest mcwarre

Do you like the Mpx200 and if so Why?

Because it's everything the SPV/SPV E-100 should have been...... Stable, fast, longer battery life

It will spread the Smartphone Gospel to a wider audience than HTC.....

It looks and feels quality (HTC could do with some lessons in this).....

Because it was free on E50 upgrade! :) .....

Because I have had it for more than 3 weeks without having to either hard / soft reset it or return it under warranty / care.....

After a 2 weeks the only problem i can find with this phone,is the USB cover on the base,I just know im gonna lose it!

I've removed the USB cover (and keep it in the box). USB ports are very robust. The chances of you damaging it are slim. And if you do.... there is always your warrenty ;p

Guest mike-oh
Jesus!!! Ican't wait to get my MPx, i hear SO MANY good things about it......

I feel some new vDub settings coming on!! :wink:

WOOHOO!! Clint is back!

The Mpx 200 plays video clips MUCH more smoothly, might even be able to squeeze a few extra fps out of it :wink:

Just to add my 2cents,

Great phone, like an spv but faster, more realiable, more stable (not even thought of hanging yet, my spv hung about 7 times in the first few days i had it), better screen and half the size!

Plus the ladies like it "aww isn't it cute" and "it's soo much better than mine".

Then you hit them with the "Hello Moto" ringtone and they want you..er.. i mean one :wink:

Guest paulie-mafia

As a committed Apple user and hater of Micro$oft products I surprised myself by picking the Moto. I'd had a Moto before (v-series) and it sucked, but I actually really like this one. There are a few bugs - the oft mentioned battery life problems and lack of bluetooth - but overall it works.

However, I've seen those early shots of the 220 and, while it has a colour external screen and better functionality, I think Moto are making a big mistake with the overall styling. Look at the 200 - it's one of the most stylish and unique celly's on the market with its gloss ebony case and chrome-ringed display. The 220 looks just like a crappy, plastic chunk of a handset and I, for one, don't want a poke in the nuts from the external aerial every time I sit down.

Until someone launches a good-looking Palm phone with a decent screen (what were Handspring thinking?!) or a Windows Smartphone with a big screen then I'm sticking with my 200.

Guest dharden

don't know if "like" is a strong enough word really.

If you'd showed someone this phone 5 years ago you'd have been burned as a witch! It is amazing!

Internet explorer is a program i thought would be a gimmick on something this small. However , while it does have it's limitations with some websites, it is far more usable then i could have imagined. Watch people's faces when you show them "t'internet" on your phone!

It plays mpegs well (especially with Pocket TV) and makes quite a good mp3 player too (even through the personal handsfree kit!)

I've found the call quality really good and the earpiece almost too loud sometimes (can be adjusted though). The only real letdown is the useless jog dial, which prevents the voice dialling from being useful - a shame because the voice recognition is excellent - plus it should work from the handsfree kit button to be really worth it.

It looks fantastic - one of the designers at work bought a Nokia 6100 at the weekend and i've nearly got him crying now he's seen what the mpx can do! He's all set to take advantage of his '14 day' option....

Missing? Bluetooth and a camera but IMO bluetooth is very overrated and phone cameras are rubbish (i've got two film cameras and a digi anyway!)

USB cradle and synching software which lets you drag and drop files between phone and PC are just the icing on the cake. Anyone looking for a smartphone should look at this phone LAST (after you've tried the others you'll buy the motorola)

so yes, i quite like it really.............. :)

Guest awarner [MVP]

one cool phone and fun to take apart :)

(not to be advised though)

seriously for me it's the best phone I've ever had morestable and controlable than the E100 and SPV.

Guest ClintEastman
...I, for one, don't want a poke in the nuts from the external aerial every time I sit down.
Some people would pay good money for that service!! :)

But im with you, AN EXTERNAL AERIAL!!!

...Until someone launches a good-looking Palm phone with a decent screen (what were Handspring thinking?!) or a Windows Smartphone with a big screen then I'm sticking with my 200.

The new spec for Smartphone has a higher res (bigger) screen, might have a bit of a wait though....

Mike-ohalloran - "It's good to be back, It's good to be back...." :D