DVD to SPV - optimised media encoder settings

Guest ray

Guest Rolandrat

Just found this thread, downloaded WM9 encoder thingy and in two shakes of a lambs tail, I have a little demo of Harry Potter 2 converted from DIVX to WMV, bloody great. Alright it's not 50" widescreen DTS sound but for the WOW, impress the Geeks factor its great. Good old Microsoft to come up with (a) a bloody fine phone and (:D and bloody fine bit of software in that WM9 encoder.

Oh well back to the Beers! Hic!, Happy New Year 'all.

Guest crimminsky

the backlight can be set to stay on in the power management settings, there is a time out option, just set this to "never" put it back after you have watched the film.

you can pause a film by pressing the action button, pressing it again restarts the flic :D

Guest kevlar

I've been trying a few different settings, but have a simple question, how do you trim a .avi file down to say 2 minutes so you can try lots of different settings when converting?. It's easy to cut mpegs and .wmvs but how do you trim .avis?

cheers

Kevlar

Guest spacemonkey

I'm gonna have a play tonight... I'm thinking that one reason video gets a bit jumpy is if the frame rate isn't really compatable with the source frame rate.

For instance if my source rate is 25fps (PAL) and I output 12 fps that's pretty close but every few seconds you have to make up some extra frames, so mostly it's taking every 2nd frame but we have 1 frame spare every second so once a second it will skip 2 frames which will appear as a jump.

So... what to do, well a movie is filmed at 24fps and when they convert a movie to PAL all they do is run the movie fast (ie speed up the movie and sound to 25fps) this speedup isn't really percievable so everythings happy. Now on for the spv, if you slow down the film to 24fps (dificult bit is you have to scale back the sound similarly) and then convert it to 12fps you've got a clean drop every second frame.

Might get a slight improve ment in smoothness... worth a play anyway, and it's not like I was gonna do anything better with my time...

Guest kevlar

Sounds about right, I've come accross this before when converting divx's to mpeg for vcd's, but we are converting for spv, which isn't pal/ntsc, so we should be able to sort this frame issue out.

Kevlar

I've played around some more with my settings in the original post and still cannot find any settings that are better. I've converted 4 full movies which are all derived from PAL versions at 24.97 fps - I think that's what it's supposed to be.

All the movies suffer from some very minor jitter (as distinct from the 12fps) that occurs mainly with large movement that is left to right or vice versa. This can occur once every few seconds to once every 30 seconds or so depending on what is going on. When it occurs it it can be for a few frames but very rarely lasts more than 1 second. Occasionally - every few minutes - the egg timer comes up and can delay things for a few seconds. All this adds up to minor annoyance and once your into a movie you get used to it.

Perhaps someone will come up with something better but I still recommend encoding from MPEG1 at the format mentioned. I have been using 2000kbs or higher instead of the 1150kbs I originally used to perhaps provide a better 'base' for the encoding and to ensure the best definition picture.

If you are unhappy with jitter you could try reducing the average and peak rates by 10kbs at the expense of picture clarity. I don't think that reducing the frame rate of the MPEG1 to 24bps will make much difference so that the 12fps is an exact multiple. Alternatively, you could reduce the image size from 176x132 but that will mean that the movie will not fit the entire screen.

All in all I am extremely happy with all the movies I have encoded on what it is effectively a phone! I have now watched them all, in chunks admitedly, and enjoyed them all.

Hope this helps. Apologies to Kevlar for taking so long to respond to his email.

Hey, no probs Ray, nice to see this thread still active. I have been using your settings and they do seem to be the best compromise. I've been cutting the movies into 10 minute ' chapters ' using asf tools, a good solution until they sort out navigation in media player. I wonder if anyone will release an alternative media player for spv? Does anyone know if alternatives are available for pocket pc?

One question for you ray, what is ' inverse telecine ' in the processing tab in media encoder 9 ?. I've found some divx movies wouldn't load into encoder 9, but unticking this box seemed to fix it.

cheers

Kevlar

One question for you ray, what is ' inverse telecine ' in the processing tab in media encoder 9 ?. I've found some divx movies wouldn't load into encoder 9, but unticking this box seemed to fix it.  

God knows but... Inverse telecine (or IVTC as it is also called) brings back movie's original framerate from NTSC's 29.97fps to 24fps..... from Google search.

By the way, I don't split my WMVs any more. I just use an ASX files like this one dumped in IPSMWindowsStart MenuMovies:

<asx version="3">

<entry><TITLE>0m-The Blues Brothers</TITLE><StartTime Value = "0:0.0"/><Ref Href = "Storage CardMy DocumentsMy MoviesThe Blues Brothers.wmv"/><Duration Value= "10:00.0"/></entry>

<entry><TITLE>10m-The Blues Brothers</TITLE><StartTime Value = "10:0.0"/><Ref Href = "Storage CardMy DocumentsMy MoviesThe Blues Brothers.wmv"/><Duration Value= "10:00.0"/></entry>

<entry><TITLE>20m-The Blues Brothers</TITLE><StartTime Value = "20:0.0"/><Ref Href = "Storage CardMy DocumentsMy MoviesThe Blues Brothers.wmv"/><Duration Value= "10:00.0"/></entry>

<entry><TITLE>30m-The Blues Brothers</TITLE><StartTime Value = "30:0.0"/><Ref Href = "Storage CardMy DocumentsMy MoviesThe Blues Brothers.wmv"/><Duration Value= "10:00.0"/></entry>

<entry><TITLE>40m-The Blues Brothers</TITLE><StartTime Value = "40:0.0"/><Ref Href = "Storage CardMy DocumentsMy MoviesThe Blues Brothers.wmv"/><Duration Value= "10:00.0"/></entry>

<entry><TITLE>50m-The Blues Brothers</TITLE><StartTime Value = "50:0.0"/><Ref Href = "Storage CardMy DocumentsMy MoviesThe Blues Brothers.wmv"/><Duration Value= "10:00.0"/></entry>

<entry><TITLE>60m-The Blues Brothers</TITLE><StartTime Value = "60:0.0"/><Ref Href = "Storage CardMy DocumentsMy MoviesThe Blues Brothers.wmv"/><Duration Value= "10:00.0"/></entry>

<entry><TITLE>70m-The Blues Brothers</TITLE><StartTime Value = "70:0.0"/><Ref Href = "Storage CardMy DocumentsMy MoviesThe Blues Brothers.wmv"/><Duration Value= "10:00.0"/></entry>

<entry><TITLE>80m-The Blues Brothers</TITLE><StartTime Value = "80:0.0"/><Ref Href = "Storage CardMy DocumentsMy MoviesThe Blues Brothers.wmv"/><Duration Value= "10:00.0"/></entry>

<entry><TITLE>90m-The Blues Brothers</TITLE><StartTime Value = "90:0.0"/><Ref Href = "Storage CardMy DocumentsMy MoviesThe Blues Brothers.wmv"/><Duration Value= "10:00.0"/></entry>

<entry><TITLE>100m-The Blues Brothers</TITLE><StartTime Value = "100:0.0"/><Ref Href = "Storage CardMy DocumentsMy MoviesThe Blues Brothers.wmv"/><Duration Value= "10:00.0"/></entry>

<entry><TITLE>110m-The Blues Brothers</TITLE><StartTime Value = "110:0.0"/><Ref Href = "Storage CardMy DocumentsMy MoviesThe Blues Brothers.wmv"/><Duration Value= "10:00.0"/></entry>

<entry><TITLE>120m-The Blues Brothers</TITLE><StartTime Value = "120:0.0"/><Ref Href = "Storage CardMy DocumentsMy MoviesThe Blues Brothers.wmv"/><Duration Value= "10:00.0"/></entry>

<entry><TITLE>130m-The Blues Brothers</TITLE><StartTime Value = "130:0.0"/><Ref Href = "Storage CardMy DocumentsMy MoviesThe Blues Brothers.wmv"/><Duration Value= "10:00.0"/></entry>

<entry><TITLE>140m-The Blues Brothers</TITLE><StartTime Value = "140:0.0"/><Ref Href = "Storage CardMy DocumentsMy MoviesThe Blues Brothers.wmv"/><Duration Value= "10:00.0"/></entry>

</asx>

I just do a search and replace each time I create a new movie. Note the times embedded in

. Then you can tell where you are in the movie.

Just cut and paste the above into Notepad, replace the movie title and embedded file name with the one you want, set the times - eg 10 mins, 5 mins etc. - for the segments you want to skip to making an allowances for the duration of the film and save in a file called xxxxxx.asx where xxxxxx is the movie title. Copy this file to the directory above on the SPV - you may have to create the directory.

Now go to Progams on the SPV and run it. You will be able to skip to as many parts of the movie you want, either by pressing left and right or pressing Select and chose the segment you want to play. Bingo - watchable movies that can re-start at (nearly) any position.

There are few threads in the forums about this.

Mattg wrote:

Hi Ray  

I tried your video settings any my movies are still very jittery?  

Have you adjusted the settings in your spv at all?  

any info would be great  

Thanks  

Matt G

If you have followed the settings and the steps up to and including the encoding exactly you should get very little jitter. Make allowances for the 12fps though - it ain't 25fps. I don't think I have a different SPV to anyone else, so you should get similar results.

Try all the suggestions for speeding up the SPV in other threads - perhaps there is something there that will help. I have adopted these as much as possible.

Guest someone

hey just a little question,

on another post i read some people couldn't play a movie converted with WME9. I can't find the post anymore, but I thought it was the audio codec used by WME9. WME removes all the old codecs from your computer, so they couldn't get any movie working on the SPV.

But I'm not sure. I can't remember it clearly.

Cheers

• 1 month later...
Guest ajb3000

If you encode them as .avi (In DivX format) and play them with PocketMVP, not only are they much smoother and better quality but they also take up full screen in landscape mode.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest MoRFLeZ

Great instructions .. I have typed in all the info and settings .. but when I hit apply, I get the following error:

Two-pass encoding is not available for live broadcasts, screen captures, or when encoding from multiple sources.

Hmmm what did I do wrong!? *ponder*