Quake is comming to the SPV

Guest exosyphen

Guest exosyphen

Greetings gamers,

I saw many posts related to this ... but no quake on the SPV.

I am very proud to announce that a few minutes ago, I compiled the SPV port succesfully!

Don't get overexcited. This is only the begining and there is a lot more work left until this will be playable on the SPV.

I am now working to make the input system usable and cut down the .pak file to fit my phone (It's 8.5Mb and I only have an 8Mb SD card).

I am working as much as my time allows it, and I want to release a working version as soon as I can ... so people will see that quake will exist on the SPV.

Robert.

rob,

the problem you will have is that to get the engine running at a decent speed on the SPV, all the data + engine systems need to be converted to Fixed Point Maths, which is not a minor undertaking by any means

muff

Guest exosyphen

Hello,

I started my work based on the PocketPC version which already is converted to fixed point.

More good news : I made some system adjustments and now it starts up on my phone, until it says it can't find the

gfx.wad file. I am now cutting of the wad file to fit my SD card.

It's an 8.5 Mb file and my card is only 8Mb.

I hope to get thsi out of the way later today and see if the game starts up.

Guest yarod_g14

This is very interesting, it has been a long time since mboden did anything with doom and I have been waiting anxously for strafe and sound. Having quake available would be great. I'm sure if we get a port it will be only half useable due to the SPV's controls, especially with 4 way on my e-200!

Its a shame we cant get an updated doom with sound, strafe and full wad support. I happily played through the shareware wad but couldn't get the full doom1 or doom2 ones working! I got the Doom2 loading screen but it freezes from that point. In fact I'd be interested to know how many people would pay for anything like this, maybe we can resurrect mbodens interest in this?

Maybe waiting to see what the Snes Emu works like would be a better idea as this would give us Doom and more?

Guest exosyphen

I got Quake to startup on my phone.

I could try and go for the joystick for rotate/move and use the 2 functions buttons for strafing.

I will update some here.

Guest exosyphen

At a lower speed and lower sound Quake is running on my SPV!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only at the menu ... for now ... and now I press Single Player ...... and I wait a little ... and I Press New Game ...... and I got a memory allocation error .... not bad ... I still have tweak the memory usage!

This is the full quake ... you can download any maps from the web and play!

rob,

the pocketpc version I'm guessing u are using is the pocketquake version from pocketmatrix

if this is the case, then this version is NOT fixed point maths, tho they started work on it

and as the current version of that code stands, it will not run on the SPV at a usable speed

the e200 fairs better, due it's larger memory, but it cannot do diagonals on the joystick, which is something of a limitation from a control point of view

on the mpx200 it runs nice, but would still need some work to run really smooth in all areas (geometry becomes an issue)

I know whereof I speak here, as I've had Quake running on the SPV etc for about 8 months now (without sound, but all other stuff in there), and it's just not playable on the SPV without a complete engine overhaul (and probably some geometry work)

of course if the version of the code you are using is not the PocketMatrix port, then it may indeed have been converted to fixed point maths, but I dont know of any public ports that have been converted this way

the other thing that will start to hit you once u get it running properly is that controls are an issue - the SPV keypad was just not designed for this type of game, DOOM is ok, but the full 3d nature of Quake is asking a little too much of the controls

muff

Guest exosyphen

Hi muff,

I just played some quake on my SPV .... with sounds.

Indeed the performance is low at this moment, but there is room for improvement.

I have a very good experience with software-rendering, as I did loads of 3D graphics back in the old days of MSDOS.

I will shortly (1 hours maximum), release a public proof of concept. It will be something as is, and if people are willing to support me, then they can expect a running quakr on the SPV in a short time.

As you might have seen, I only started work this morning and I already have it running on my SPV.

I am seriously commited to do this one.

As for the input, I am thinking to map the strafe to the 2 small keys above the joystick.

I still have to figure out something for looking up and down.

The fire key will be the joystick-center action.

A good ideea for me would be to allow people to choose their keys, this way everyone will have a good option for himself.

As for the input, I am thinking to map the strafe to the 2 small keys above the joystick.

I still have to figure out something for looking up and down.

The fire key will be the joystick-center action.

A good ideea for me would be to allow people to choose their keys, this way everyone will have a good option for himself.

the Quake engine already has this function in it, you just have to jiggle the screen layout a little

Guest Gorskar

Good luck that man.

If you can get it to run properly then I will be the first to congratulate you.

Sounds like it could be a fair bit of work though...

Guest exosyphen

Still a few things to fix with the screen layout and fix the fire button. Then I will release it for your viewing pleasure.

It runs pretty slow ... but you can walk around and shot things.

There will be only 1 level from the demo, as that's all I could fit on my little 8Mb SD card.

The full demo can fit on a 16Mb SD card, and if you have around 32/64 ... you can fit the whole game.

Guest midnight

no, i'm afraid it isnt all that speedy on e200 :lol:

its a bit quicker than e100, but not by all that much, like muff said, thais would take a huge amount of work to get running at a nice playable speed, including remaking all the lecvels so they are lower poly, resizing all the textures (to get the whole game down to a decent size), and recoding more of the engine (so there is no floating point math), in fact, i'd argue it needs a complete rewrite from scratch, in which case, why make quake?

it really is a huge amount of work, and even then, you cant sell it cos of the nature of the license, you would have to make all the source code available to others aswell

Guest exosyphen

Indeed I have to cut of some of the graphics and levels to get it to run at a decent speed.

I managed to walk around the first level ... sluggish, but it works.

Guest exosyphen

Thanks for the offer!

I think I will need that hosting.

With 3 game downloads hosted on our official website ... I am at almost 90% of the maximum I can afford on a daily basis.

It will be around 5Mb.

here is a version i have been using for a while.... run with sound and somewhat decent speed on my SC1100.

I got the paks from the quake CD on a 256MB SD card.

I can upload the source if you like. Dont remeber where i got this...

[edit by Richie M] This is for PocketPC not Smartphone do not install it onto your phone[/edit]

PocketQuake0062_ARM.zip

Guest NederSoren

hehe.. Dont worry about hosting of your game.. Im sure that after a couple of days on one smartphone site, the other big sites will proberly have it up too..

:lol:

//Neder