Quake is comming to the SPV

Guest exosyphen

Guest exosyphen

Thanks guys!

I was out of town for the past day or so, but I have resumed development.

I still want to fix a few minor things before throwing something live out there.

Guest exosyphen

I enjoyed it ... thanks:) .. ia m back home now :lol:

I was away at my parents who live in a remote area. Now I realised how usefull is to have my SPV in my pocket. Internet and Email access were usefull for me, and I still could do a lot of the usual daily stuff.

Guest hecatae
here is a version i have been using for a while.... run with sound and somewhat decent speed on my SC1100.

I got the paks from the quake CD on a 256MB SD card.

I can upload the source if you like. Dont remeber where i got this...

[edit by Richie M]This is for PocketPC not Smartphone do not install it onto your phone[/edit]

loads on my e100, says "ERROR there is no hardware timer"

Guest Gorskar

Have you thought of controls?

I thought maybe the joystick/joypad to aim, action to fire, left/right softkeys to jump/duck, 8 0 * # to move, and possibly 1 2 to cycle weapons.

I guess even better would be allowing people to map them to whatever they like!

i can also host files i got 3 servers on 100mbit line so that will be no problem :D

PM me if you want...

that means every body else to if they need some space :lol:

I was thinking use the volume up and down keys for the look control (be great on a mpx200 with the wheel on the side!) maybe use 1 + 2 for strafe keys...?I was thinking use the volume up and down keys for the look control (be great on a mpx200 with the wheel on the side!) maybe use 1 + 2 for strafe keys...?

PS- hey dont let the old farts discourage you exo... there's nothing wrong with seeing something out 'till the end. I'd love to see you finish this, even if its just so we CAN play quake. who cares how perfect it is.

Good Luck!

Guest midnight

for this type ofgame to ber playable on smartphones autoaiming needs to be introduced. moving the crosshair is hard enough on the ps2/xbox for these types of games and they have analog joysticks for precise movement (try that onthe 4 way e200), at least with autoaim it will shoot any enemies that are infront of you without the need to move the crosshair around the screen (just like doom does in fact). Like i said before this needs a LOT of changes to make playable on the smartphone, it isnt just a case of portingover the existing code for pocketpc and that will do.

When did this site suddenly turn into doom and gloom? I remember the early days where everything was an opportunity. Now, people just say things like "can't be done" or "why bother"?

No disprespect to the likes of muff and midnight, you guys have earned your respect around these parts. But what's with the negative attitutes? Would you have told the Wright brothers not to bother trying to do heavier-than-air flight, because it was believed to be "impossible" at the time?

Back on-topic; auto aim would be useful, as would the ability to change the controls. Then people can find out what works for them. No need to include GUI to do this, most folk will be happy ini/xml hacking to change settings in a beta.

Guest midnight

errr, i dont think anyone said it cant be done, i know it can, i've seen it running :lol:

but, i am being realistic, it needs a lot of work to be of good quality, maps need to be simplified (less polys), as do the models, the whole thing needs compressing down to less than 10mb ideally, controls are an issue (no mouse on the smartphone you know). hell, even quake 2 is possible (q3 is a bit too much though hehe)

When did this site suddenly turn into doom and gloom? I remember the early days where everything was an opportunity. Now, people just say things like "can't be done" or "why bother"?

No disprespect to the likes of muff and midnight, you guys have earned your respect around these parts. But what's with the negative attitutes? Would you have told the Wright brothers not to bother trying to do heavier-than-air flight, because it was believed to be "impossible" at the time?

Back on-topic; auto aim would be useful, as would the ability to change the controls. Then people can find out what works for them. No need to include GUI to do this, most folk will be happy ini/xml hacking to change settings in a beta.

I dont think either mid or myself are being negative at all fraser, we're just making exo aware of what he's letting himself in for - especially as I had Quake running on the SPV 6+months ago, exactly the same way exo did the other day

we're just sharing our knowledge on this one, not intending to discourage

the other reason for doing this is to keep the public's expectations realistic - Quake can run on the SPV, it can even run at a decent speed, but there is a LOT of work needed to make this happen, it will NOT happen overnight, and the non-programmers dont appear to respect that

p.s. a lot of the other discussion in here on controls etc is repeating previous conversations about both Quake and Doom - especially as Quake has a built in key configuration screen already

the other reason for doing this is to keep the public's expectations realistic - Quake can run on the SPV, it can even run at a decent speed, but there is a LOT of work needed to make this happen, it will NOT happen overnight, and the non-programmers dont appear to respect that

True, but you forget a lot of us are programmers, and know exactly what is involved. Sure, Quake will require fixed-point math due to the lack of a FPU in the phone. That doesn't mean however that this problem hasn't already been solved elsewhere, and that many folk wouldn't be aware of it if it had. The source-code for a perfectly working port of Quake on the phone might be sitting on some webpage somewhere, and saying "tried it; can't be done" is a negative attitude that could prevent someone from looking into it.

I've seen many things done on this phone that folk believed could not be done. Things even MS probably thought could not be done. Nothing is impossible. (except maybe putting Aquafresh back in the tube! :wink: )